Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

College GameDay just gave Georgia football plenty of motivation with its SEC championship picks

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excuse me?, Lol...."No co...but, Muschamp is a co, Defensive Coordinator."? Don't you think your own statement, is a little contradictory?.

Muschamp and Schumann are Co-Defensive Coordinators. Period. I hope you aren't thinking Schumann overrides the Experience of Will Muschamp. Title or not...that ain't happenin'.. IMO

Schumann is a very talented Coach and recruiter...but, so is Muschamp. Will also has 2 HC jobs behind him along with a very respectable DC History with Texas and now, UGA. Schumann may well take it over one day, if Muschamp moves on. But, I think it's likely to be the other way around.

They seem to have divided up the responsibilities efficiently. I'm guessing the titles are, so they could pay Muschamp top dollar and keep Schumann happy moving his career forward, as a reward for his loyalty and excellent performance.

I don't think it matters much anyway. Kirby seems to allow the Offense and Defense to be run by committee. It encourages innovation. On Offense...the buck stops, with Bobo...and on Defense...I believe Schumann defers to Muschamp's experience. But, I could be wrong, in part or in whole. I just know what it says on the Program and roster.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Desmond Howard, Pat McAfee and Kirk Herbstreit all picked Alabama to win this year’s SEC."

Makes me wonder, if they have some inside info that's not being reported. Bama has suffered from a lack of player development recently. Replacing both coordinators should help and I think it will, but how long will it take? Bama was lacking at O-line, receiver and by all reports they're not going to be great at QB.

I think Bama will lose 1-2 regular season. Bama has more depth than LSU, but I think I would take the tiger's starting line-up over Bama's starters. What wins out in that match-up? I won't be shocked if LSU wins the West...

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2023

@BigDawg61

I understand that “CO” should mean both are “co”. But looking at the official UGA site, Muschamp is “co” and Schumann is the official “non co”.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Imagine what our defense would do to Williams...it would be like last year's Tennessee game but maybe worse. I think their is a good chance USC loses 2 this year and misses the playoff again. However, Williams stats should be great as should Bear's sack totals. Stats over Championships is the name of the game for certain players.

• Options
    natejawsnatejaws Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think GameDay got the same lady who spearheaded Bud Lite's genius marketing strategy

• Options

It's crazy to me that they fire a guy making only (this is according to the internet which is undefeated) 86K a year. That seems awfully low. I thought he was making closer to a million a year.

Either way they are giving that Vegas Dressed Loudmouth 80 million over 5 years. Now I don't know but this seems like a lot for him. We wonder why ESPN and Disney are going down the toilet at light speed...

• Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not contradictory at all.

Schumann's own X/Twitter account. Look at his bio line. It says Defensive Coordinator...

https://twitter.com/CoachSchuUGA

After he interviewed with the Eagles for their DC position....

"Schumann saw his total annual compensation more than double from $805,000 to $1.9 million after talking with the Eagles. His contact was also extended a year in March to keep him through June 30, 2026....He also saw his title change to defensive coordinator after sharing the title co-defensive coordinator with Will Muschamp last season.

Muschamp, the former Florida and South Carolina coach who coaches the Bulldogs safeties and nickelbacks, remains co-defensive coordinator, but it was Schumann getting the call for the annual preseason press conference for the coordinator Wednesday."

Note the article's title.

Nobody is saying that Muschamp isn't experienced or talented. But at some point, men at that level aren't going to be "co" indefinitely. If it didn't matter to Schumann, it wouldn't have changed. And the point was that you called Connor "sloppy", when in fact, he was absolutely correct.

• Options

Not a big titles person because if you are great at your job you get paid. Period. Analysts on wall street many times make much more than C level executives. It's all about what you bring to the table.

Now with that being said it is important in some businesses to have the title in order to get the next job. Not always but many times. If a company has a pay scale attached to the job name then it is important as well.

Pay Schuman whatever he wants. Give him an extra million every year he stays as long as we keep winning championships.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well said !! Fully Agree !! Our D would be for Devastate if we played USC !! They finally got it together and went on to beat unranked San Jose 49-21. But it took them long enough. And early on Williams was looking pretty poor. Against the Dawgs D he would have been annihilated !!

And our O would put up Far more points. USC is overrated being at 6. I’m not even sure they belong in the top 10. But I guess it’s because of the weak conference their in. Our Dawgs are about to Show the world Why they will be 3 Time National Champions !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    edited August 2023

I think we can take USC off the list of contenders. You either play defense AND have a good to great offense or you are not going to win. We will know more in a couple weeks after the LSU and Texas games. 4 contenders there playing a first month eliminator imo. Whoever wins is setup and whoever loses is in real trouble. Go Tigahs! Hook Em Horns!

One last thought is if Sam Hartman turns out to be really great Ohio State might get upset...I will have to root for the Irish. Hoping Day gets fired after losing 2, Hartline moves on to somewhere else and we get the big prize - Jeremiah Smith. Dare to Dream...Baby....Dare to Dream!

• Options

They added another TD. Final point total was 56. But much like with TCU, once you get past 40 or so, it all feels like krap.

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Desmond Howard, Pat McAfee and Kirk Herbstreit are all mental midgets and simps for the Small 10.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Roman Harper picked UGA!! Over his Tide! Respect!

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

Y'all do know what they do on College GameDay is for entertainment purposes? The world isn't going to end if someone's opinion/predictions on a college football season isn't accurate. If I would have said the Dawgs were going to win a National Championship every year until two seasons ago I'd be looking like a dope for being wrong for over 40 years in a row

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The same Howard that picked TCU to beat Georgia-Enough said!!!!

• Options
    edited August 2023

You went to an awful lot of trouble to go around the only "Relevant & Credible" Webpage....[The University of Georgia Official Website]...which lists;

Schumann as a CO Defensive Coordinator and IL Coach since early in 2019

Muschamp as a Co Defensive Coordinator since early 2021 and Defensive Analyst and Special Teams Coordinator.

That bein' the "Official version". Don't think for a minute, that there isn't some cross -mojo goin' on between those guys. Safeties, Corners, ILBs, OLBs, DLs, Special Teams, Special Packages. Goal Line Support....a lot of Areas of Concern to go around.

IMO...UGA's Coordinators all work together toward one end...making each player...and, each other...the best they can be, and find their sweet spot, within the system...in order to "Win Battles". Win enough Battles and you Win the War.

Kind of like a Special Operations Unit, in the military. I notice the Atlanta Braves operate the same way, these days. Lmao...I wish some of that would rub off on the Falcons and Ga Tech.

It "was" sloppy, not to mention that...but, that's kind of irrelevant, now. I think you & I covered it to death. This horse is dead. Lol

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, it's a win-win!

• Options

Lol...how can it not be...we're Dawg Fans. There ain't no "Lose" in us.

• Options

Pardon my equine ressurection here but it was nowhere near a lot of trouble. I had already read about and noticed the change in position during SEC media days.

How is the official website more credible than the source himself as Schumann's own X page bio says he is the DC? Yes of course they all work together. But as you said, titles can matter and in this field, they do.

"Georgia football quietly adjusted some titles for its assistant coaches this spring.

Glenn Schumann is now listed as defensive coordinator with Will Muschamp maintaining his title as co-defensive coordinator, according to the roster update Saturday for the G-Day game on the school’s athletic website. Schumann was listed as defensive coordinator on a list of staff salary changes last month provided by the school, but since Muschamp's compensation didn't change his title wasn't listed. Now Muschamp still has the co-defensive coordinator title.

Tight ends coach Todd Hartley also now has the added title of assistant head coach"

Is this official enough for you? What does it say right under his picture?

• Title:Fain & Billy Slaughter Defensive Coordinator - Inside Linebackers

• A simple, "I was wrong" will do. And now the horse is officially not only dead but buried.