Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

SEC Power Poll: Alabama looked best in Week One, Auburn rising fast

SystemSystem Posts: 10,707 admin
edited September 2023 in Article commenting
imageSEC Power Poll: Alabama looked best in Week One, Auburn rising fast

ATHENS — Alabama coach Nick Saban noted that the Coke bottle in front of him was not a crystal ball, and LSU coach Brian Kelly said his team discovered they were not the Georgia Bulldogs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 731 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I realize this is just views after week 1 with much consideration given to overall team and views prior to season starting, but I don’t know how you have LSU as tier 1 and Tennessee in tier 2. Tennessee looked much stronger than LSU. Granted the level of competition was different but one could say the same for UGA, Bama, and A&M as well. LSU looked very shaky with serious questions about multiple areas of that team while Tennessee looked pretty solid across the board. Tough after week 1 but LSU seems to definitely have received a much greater benefit of the doubt than others.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Glad the season is here. Rankings mean nothing. Just win your games.

• Options
    CharlestonDawgFanCharlestonDawgFan Posts: 96 ✭✭✭ Junior

Didn’t know where else to post this and apologies if it’s been addressed somewhere else, but why is Texas playing Alabama next week but we had to cancel Oklahoma due to them moving to SEC next year?

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Henddawg The level of competition looked much different ... LSU brings back its starting QB, Tennessee does not, we'll see what Milton does the next couple of weeks.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Overreactions to week 1 games with most teams playing lesser opponents. More will be known about most teams after this Saturday. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    fanchmanfanchman Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

The Alabama Texas game was not canceled, because it's the second game in the series. In other words, they finished both games before Texas entered the league. Oklahoma was not scheduled to play at Georgia for the 2nd game of our series until sometime around 2031.

• Options
    fanchmanfanchman Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

The Alabama Texas game was not canceled, because it's the second game in the series. In other words, they finished both games before Texas entered the league. Oklahoma was not scheduled to play at Georgia for the 2nd game of our series until sometime around 2031.

• Options
    CharlestonDawgFanCharlestonDawgFan Posts: 96 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2023
  • Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s cliche but true: “it ain’t how you start, it’s how you finish”. UGA has been the epitome of that in recent years. I’m not worried about the Dawgs game one performance when taking in consideration all the injuries to key players and all the “new”.

My biggest concern is having most of those guys back hopefully before the SC game, and Really need them back before Auburn. It’s gonna take time to mesh but Dawgs will put points on the board. And the Dawgs Defense will have them locked in to be Able to win.

My nerrrrves indicator won’t go up much until we play Auburn if we Still have that many guys out injured. That’s Not to say that Any game is an auto win, like SC for instance. I look for the GameCocks to play very competitive. Dawgs should win fairly handily but it will be a competitive game.

Being on the road @Auburn, I’m hoping most all the guys that were out and those not at full strength will be back. If they are that game will be even more competitive but Dawgs should win. Heck it takes two to three rival players to account for Bowers !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2023

Couldn't agree more. But, you know, darn well...ESPN and the sports world will "FIND" a way to highlight Bama, OSU and Deion Sanders as long as is humanly possible...including, the revelation of a new "ESPN Computer Poll"...that has Bama #1 and OSU #2. Imagine that! Lol

🤣 Gotta sell some Aflac don't we boys....and, feed the gigantic Ohio State consumer beast. Better do it with former OSU players and coaches. No need to keep up the "Unbiased Charade", is there?. Hell...I don't know why they don't just call College Game Day..."OSU Presents blah, blah, blah".

Bama & OSU are the only 2 teams in the Country, that get Hyped to the 9's without ever having won a game. In fact, I don't remember OSU's last Championship...and, Bama was "lucky" to have only lost 2 games, each of the last 2 years.

Now, next week...Alabama's gonna be 1-1. What do you want to bet, the "pregame pre-excuses" are gonna be about an injured secondary. That's just...what ESPN does to make sure the goose keeps pumping out golden eggs. People gotta get paid.

Excuses are gonna be rolling all over the College Football landscape, this year.. Because, CFB has changed...along with the Power Structure. Bye bye Bama.. hello UGA. Where did Clemson go?

Bama WILL lose next week...and, it won't be pretty...that's my prediction after seeing both teams play, in week 1...but, it's more than that. Too much, for this post. Lol.

I don't know how ANYBODY...particularly a UGA or Bama Football Reporter...can possibly think they know something, they didn't already know...after playing a team like "Middle Tennesse State" or "UT-Martin". Neither of which has more than one or two players capable of playing on the Dawgs or Tide, practice squad....Not to mention, the depth of a melted ice cube.

Nope...with Ball State, next on the schedule...Kirby did the "Smart thing", and used it as a Spring Game, in the Fall. A bye week with a scrimmage, if you will. I have no doubt, the 2 Coaching Staffs worked together, to get the most out of this game for their respective teams...without killing anybody. Lol

I believe Kirby learned some lessons over the years. Particularly, last year...when they had to go to a 12 minute running clock, in the 4th quarter...[against Samford or Kent St.???]. Then he flew a little too close to the sun against a very tough and resilient Mizzou. I don't think he'll allow that, again.

My "guess", is that Kirby will focus on putting games away early, leaving the second half to the running game and player development...going forward.

In other words...The Dawgs will score as many points as possible in the 1st and 2nd qtrs...[31-42~]...and another [17-24~] pts in the 3rd & 4th...for a final score of 55-0 next week, against Ball State. Without even trying hard to score, due to Ball State being beat all to hell, this week, after playing Kentucky.

I suspect the Coaches have a little planning meeting on this one, too. Lol

They can put whoever they want...at the top of whatever poll...using any dubious criteria, they like. Unlike the old days...you gotta do it on the field, now. ESPN and most of the "Sports World"...still haven't caught on. They're starting to remind me of "The Little Boy That Cried Wolf" with regard to their coverage of Bama and OSU.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Over the years Saban has turned over most of the practice coaching and development to his assistants. He probably got spoiled by having his D in the hands of DC KS for so many years getting the job done. And his O in the hands of Sark and Kiffin. He has become the (best) recruiting "closer" for AL. Because of Saban's recruiting prowess, AL is still recruiting at an elite level and has the highest blue chip ratio in the nation. There is a ton of talent on AL.

The AL OC and DC positions, that were failures the last few years, have been replaced. Based on game 1, AL looks like AL again. Expect to see AL beat TX by 2 (maybe 3) TD's this week. Expect to see a bigger mismatch than the FSU/LSU game.

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 412 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Watched a couple of minutes of the Bam game and they were not that impressive at all. O'line was mediocre and the QB seemed to be running for his life.

• Options
  • Options

Probably, but I think they are stilloverrated and Milktoast will be exposed as just another KJ Jefferson (who isn't bad by the way, but he's no Cam Newton).

Alabama can't hold our jocks.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Auburn because they played UMass? Hmmm. Well anything will be better than the last couple of years so yeah I can see rising fast. And Frieze is the real deal somehow. I get some of it, but not all of it.

And FYI. Most all off this weekend was meaningless except for those that lost that were not supposed to.

Most teams, other than TN, don't show any of their real offensive playbook against low-tier opponents.

Biggest improvement usually happens between games 1 and 2.

Teams like LSU and Clemson just got a huge wake-up call. Nothing can motivate a contender like a loss can. We shall see if they were just pretenders. Wouldn't count LSU out week 1.

So many teams get hyped up after week 1. And most will be exposed by film study, a good coach, depth issues, etc and come midway of the season they fizzle out.

Talk about overreactions.

• Options

I think losing by 3 tds is a major problem even if you go undefeated from here . Now with Clemson since they play FSU only winning the conference and beating FSU twice will do. That is a hoe road to tough. I mean a tough road to hoe. Anywho, I think we can safeley say Clemson is cooked unless Duke gets 10 wins this year. Could not have happened to a more awesome coach. Dabba Dabba Do right out of contention.

Now for LSU I thought with the talent they had returning that they would have handled FSU. The qb takes a lot of the blame for this imo but certainly where was Perkins all game? Bad coaching. Kelly just made himself look dumb as rocks. Can they recover? I say Nope. 3 or more losses coming for this LSU Team as they are poorly coached.

Now we are down to the real contenders for the belt after only 1 week

FSU

Michigan

OSU

Penn State

Notre Dame

Texas

Washington

USC

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 232 ✭✭✭ Junior

Now we are down to the real contenders for the belt after only 1 week - BigDawg88

FSU

Michigan

OSU

Penn State

Notre Dame

Texas

Washington

USC

Where is Georgia on this list??

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You are ignorant of the quality of players on the AL roster if you think they can't compete and win against any team in the country. Milroe played well in his 3rd(?) start. He is a duel threat weaponthat is very difficult to defend. AL OL a "weakness" last yr reloaded and can be considered the favorite for the JMoore award this year. AL may have more quality and experienced depth than UGA. It will be interesting to watch AL play this year w/new coordinators. Have they eliminated the undisciplined play and penalties? If so they will be difficult to beat.

Word on the ESPN scroll last night was that the 2 starting AL S's were banged up in game 1 and may not play vs TX. That could be a problem for AL. Will be interesting to see Fr, Caleb Downs play the whole game if needed.

• Options

You need to get your nose out of Saban's bunghole. This is a DAWG site not some Alabama troll's site. Alabama will never beat us this year. Milktoast is going down in a big way. He is not half the passer of that last choke artist they had who won the Heisman. Don't bet against these DAWGS!