Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The eye-popping statistic the Georgia defense must improve immediately

SystemSystem Posts: 10,527 admin
edited September 2023 in Article commenting
imageThe eye-popping statistic the Georgia defense must improve immediately

ATHENS — Kirby Smart might have done a double take when reviewing the Week One boxscore.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

This game was a learning experience for Xavian Sorey -

"To play stack inside ‘backer and sub rusher, which we ask our guys to do, was a daunting task for him for the first time and first game. But he played hard,” Smart said. “He missed a couple run keys..."

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

@navydawg I have been reading your posts for a long time and I am very appreciative of the quality of your comments and respect your points of view. I would just say in response to your latest post that as a reporter, MG is paid to write about "what is" not "what ifs" or "whatisms". Georgia certainly did not play up to their recent standards in the first half of that game and MG noticed the fall off and reported on it. If Georgia plays better in future games as we all hope for, then MG will report on that as well. Calling out a reporter for reporting the facts is not positive. If anything, his reporting gives us something to pay closer attention to in the next game and hope to see a turnaround. Thanks again for your past posts, have a great weekend!

• Options
    87Dawg_1187Dawg_11 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

I didn't see a defensive line getting pushed around and giving up chunk yardage on the ground when I watched the game. The yardage came from off-schedule runs by the QB, which need to be better contained but doesn't indicate a problem. I know everyone (media) needs something to talk about, but this is a none-story. Numbers don't lie, but people often use numbers to fit their narrative. The QB ran six times for 47 yards, with one run for 26 yards. The rest of the team (RBs) averaged 3.7 yards per rush. I have no concerns about UGA's rush defense at this point.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol trolls must be out !! Not that I care that much but got down voted for wanting to see our Dawgs get better each week ?? OR not being worried so much about “Stats” but the Score on the board, you know the Most Important stat ?? Oh well to each their own. 🤪

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2023

Wasn't just Sorey. It was the whole front 7. 2 things become really obvious watching the tape. The first is we don't push the offensive line back in the middle with a few exceptions. So if our DL are getting pushed back it does not allow the linebackers to see and run free. They get caught in the wash.

Now on the outside we lost edge containment as well. Our defensive front should have played better against an FCS school. Let's see how they do this week. We need to get 44, 52, and 55 in there more often. The older guys did ok, but they did not meet the standard last week. Also Wilson needs to play now. He is better than Chaz. Smith is better also.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2023

I absolutely agree on @navydawg and his posts. He's a darn good Dawg...and Veteran.

It's also a reporter's job to apply all the nuances, in order to paint a picture. I believe Mike failed to do that. But, let's face it...finding anything to gripe about with the Dawgs these days takes a little imagination...and blinders.

For instance...if you take the "26 yd QB run", that surprised the defensive backfield [not the D-line], out of the equation...the picture changes.

They had...3 backs, run for 87 yds on 23 carries...for a 3.78 yd/carry average. All of those runs were not between the tackles.

Over half [26yds] of the QB's run total, came on the last play of the 1st qtr.. If the quarterback accounts for 25% of the team's run count [33% of the yd total]...it's more than likely due to the D-line flushing him, because his receivers are covered....[if it's NOT a designed run].

I'm not saying 3.78 yds per carry is great. It's not. But, there were a hundred different players, playing in that scrimmage...er, I mean game. It's really hard for an outside observer to evaluate that game...so, I give Mike a "pass" on this one.

I actually didn't give the numbers much thought, in this game...till I read this story. Then I looked at numbers myself...and...applied the nuances, to get the whole picture. From what I've seen on my little 7" screen (Lol), redacted replay and play-by-play breakdown...UGA's havoc/turnover efficiency should at least double last year's...believe it or not.

I'm not worried about the defense, in the least...but, I appreciate Mike's attempts to make the first two weeks of the season as interesting as possible. If it wasn't for this article, I probably wouldn't have even looked at the numbers

That 26 yd run was their longest run of the day. 2 backs had 10 and 11 yd runs, respectively...in the second half. They didn't have much success running between the tackles against a bare bones defense. Just wait till Muschamp and Schumann start dialing it up against South Carolina...then, we can talk "havoc". Lol...we might see a little bit of that, in the 1st half of the Ball St game.

Another little nuance, that the media seems to be ignoring...is that the UT-Martin game was not televised. There wasn't a whole lot of "incentive" for Smart to "show-off his team", last week. This week, I expect "Kirby & Co.", to do a little "show-and-tell" against Ball, in the 1st.

OR...Maybe not. Kirby knows what his Offense looks like, against the best Defense in the Country...."UGA". They face em every day, in practice. Same with the Defense...facing a Joe Moore Candidate Offensive Line...everyday, in practice.

So....there's no "real need" to show-off to a Fanbase, sitting on "B2B Natty's"...and, looking for a third. Kirby says, "Just shut-up and eat.". Lol

Go Dawgs....Go Navy!

• Options

I think you need to watch the film. The run defense was not where we or Kirby expect it to be. Not going to waste any more time on this subject but the truth is Kirby spent a lot of time fixing things this week for the front 7 on defense. Edge and Front not good. Expect it to be better this week. I will leave it at that. Let's see how this week goes.

Go Navy!

• Options
    edited September 2023

A.] The players were beat up, after a very physical Fall Cam p...due to their light front end schedule...they went after it, harder than normal, this year. And....it's hard to find your 3rd and 4th gear against a "UT-Martin, when you're hurting and bruised. Trust me, on that one.

2.] There were multiple substitutions and several players, that normally don't get a lot of playing time....in a base defense with a limited playbook used.

3.] Kirby admitted "they didn't expect the QB to run the ball". That's on the coaching staff...not the players. They made the necessary adjustments after the UTM QB broke off that 1st qtr/26 yd run.

IMO...You can't evaluate the defense...or the team...accurately with those variables...unless, you are a UGA Defensive Coach and understand what you were looking for, during the game. If they say it's good...it's good, as far as I'm concerned.

It wasn't pretty for the outside observer. i'll give you that...but, if there's one thing I've learned about the "Smart Method"...it's that, there's a reason for everything he does. And...he did not go into this game, with the intent to send a message to the rest of the league and break UTM's back, doing it. A "message" he sent 2 years ago...and, resent last year. I think he's "over the hype", now. Doesn't need it.

If you don't think..."they could have absolutely destroyed UT-Martin"...if they wanted to...you need to go back and watch the UGA vs TCU tape. Most of those players are back...plus a few. Forget last week...hell, don't put much stock in this week, either...for that matter.

That's just my opinion...but. wring your hands if it makes you happy. 😁😎

Can't wait, for the Carolina Game. These first 2 games feel like Spring Practice. Lol

• Options
    street0123street0123 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hmm, the coaches didn't expect CJ Stroud to run the ball either and that ended up almost costing UGA a chance at the National Championship last season.

• Options
    edited September 2023

Good point. But, "that game" and "UTM Game in the 1st game of the season"...with Ball St. next on the menu...is apples and oranges. IMO

I have a feeling, the concern meter, last week...barely registered a "5"...with regard to the QB running the football.

But, yeah...you're right. That OSU Game may have been as big a DC Coaching "Fail"...as the '21 SECCG. I hope they get a handle on those. Lol

• Options

I saw you watch Brooks Austin on a prior thread and he does a very good job at dissecting the plays. You seemed to like his analysis last year. What changed? He also agrees with me on the offensive line play. The edge also had some issues (setting the edge that is).

I'm not wringing my hands. I'm merely stating what needs to be fixed in a most polite manner sir. Believe me when I say that Kirby and Bobo and Searals were not as polite as me.

I feel confident we will fix these issues and if we have a player who lacks the skills or effort look for them to become a co-starter in the near future instead of just a starter.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2023

3 times in 47 games. Think about that. People are missing the point (or need to clean their rose colored glasses) of the MG article. If UGA is giving up rushing yards to UTM what are they going to do against MI or AL? That's the point of the article.

Either a motivation, rat poison or talent issue. Talent? CKS has said that this team lacks a "game wrecker". 90, 93, 94 and 97 have been in the program for 3 years (min.) and have shown very little so far. EVERY player on the UGA DL should dominate every rep against a team like UTM. Unless they're not that good or going through the motions. The athlete's on the 2nd level should be flying to the ball. I didn't see the D stats but I do remember a lot of tackles by 23 and 24. Not a good sign. 4 (3.78?) ypc vs UTM shows there is a lot of work and development that needs to take place before this D is ready for primetime. .

• Options

You might be overreacting a bit. We have stuff to work on no doubt but is the sky falling? No.

We have some youngsters that are going to need to contribute by mid-season. 44, 55, 52, 93

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The QB got almost 40% of those yards. There's nothing wrong with our run defense and I'm of the opinion that the most important defensive stat is scoring defense. We gave up 7 and that was with our backups.

• Options

Exactly. Hell....UGA had 27 different defenders...make tackles. That's just the defenders we know about. There were several that played...and, did not make tackles. I don't understand how people can be blind to that. Lol