Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football injury report: Injuries continue to hinder running back oom

SystemSystem Posts: 10,701 admin
edited September 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football injury report: Injuries continue to hinder running back oom

ATHENS — Following Georgia’s second practice of the week, Georgia coach Kirby Smart provided an update on his team’s injury situation.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

R. Robinson has a high ankle sprain. Egad!

Lots of bad luck in the RB deparment. But all the injuries should remind everyone about how much RB's put their bodies on the line -- literally.

Just look at Nick Chubb's terrible injury.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep. Agree. What’s weird is I had just read an article the day before Chubb got injured. Did you know that RB is one of the lowest paid skill positions in the NFL ??!!?? If you say No, don’t feel bad I didn’t either !! I wrongly assumed the opposite !!

Also and just saying, if the Browns decide to cut Nick they will save Over $12million as his salary was Not guaranteed for 2024 !! Course he’s probably got some sort of player insurance I would think. I sure Hope so. And the $$ he’s already made.

But Chubb is a huge competitor I’m sure he’d be crushed if this ends his career. Browns fans will absolutely be crushed as if I read right he lead the NFL last year in yards rushing. Of current RBs only Derrick Henry has more, but I think he’s been in the NFL one year longer than Chubb so that would account for that. Prayers for Nick Chubb he IS a wonderful human being !!

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The injury bug is mounting. I hope we can rest all those dinged up and give them another week to recover. On the bright side, depth is gaining experience. I hope Nick can return but NFL running backs take a beating and their pro careers seem to be getting shorter and shorter. Chubb should be financially set, and he has had multiple major knee injuries, he has to consider what is best for him throughout the rest of his life. I wish him the best and wouldn't fault him at all if he retired.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2023

Injuries and practice injuries is a timely discussion in light of the passing of Dartmouth HC Buddy Teevens 2 days ago.

Dartmouth football coach Eugene F. "Buddy" Teevens, a fierce advocate and innovator for player safety, died on Monday at 66 years old.

Teevens is Dartmouth's all-time winningest coach with a 117-101-2 record. He led the program to five Ivy League titles. He also coached at Tulane, Stanford and Maine. He was twice named Ivy League Coach of the Year and was beloved within and around the Dartmouth program.

Teevens advocated for player safety and instituted practices that prioritized the health of his team. He eliminated live tackling from practice in 2010 in an effort to reduce concussions and other injuries.

“In four years, you will never tackle another Dartmouth football player," Teevens promised to recruits.

Players instead tackled dummies including a "Mobile Virtual Player" developed by Dartmouth coaches, faculty and engineering students that mimicked the movements of a live player on the field. (Jason Owens, Staff writer Yahoo Sports)

CKS's methods are unquestionably successful. The question I have is can CKS adjust his methods, when necessary, to facilitate the recovery necessary to field a "full strength" , nationally competitive team? Or do the meat grinder practices continue in the face of "unprecedented" (CKS, Ron Courson) program injuries resulting in depletion of players at multiple positions? There must be something between Dartmouth practices and a CKS practice that UGA can initiate ,during the season, to assist in the recovery process of players that inevitably get banged up and miss time during the season.

• Options

No sarcasm, Promise you. But KS has won Two Nattys came very close in another and is currently looking to try to 3peat. AGAIN I mean No disrespect or sarcasm to You or the late HC. But I very much doubt KS will change his methods based on what an Ivy League HC did. Numerous former Dawgs have said that the grueling practices made the Real games much less intimidating And better prepared them for the NFL. He might, stranger things have happened, but I doubt it very much.

• Options
    edited September 2023

Dawg you don't have to dance around if you don't agree with me. I don't take it personally. But I will call (all of) you out (figuratively speaking) if you say something dumb (IMO).

Of course CKS has been ultra successful (thankfully) . And of course (probably) CKS doesn't want to change his proven methods. Are you saying CKS is not adaptable? He may have to change his methods. When you start running out of scholarship players at positions for practice and games you risk losing in conference.

Ivy League people have been known to be pretty intelligent (just sayin). And herein lies the reason CKS will NEVER coach in the NFL. The NFL Player's Union has negotiated almost all the hitting out of practice (one full contact practice a week). Most NFL practices are like walk throughs. NFL players and CFB players are 2 completely different animals (figure of speech not literal). CFB players are hungry, unproven college kids (somewhat changing w/NIL) and NFL players are corporations with brands and financial teams. I would LOVE to watch CKS show up at an NFL team and try to run his practices w/the pro's for a week! Safe to say there would be a boycott/mutiny and 53 calls to the Union.

The trend, in the NFL and now starting around CFB, is more cerebral practices. Sounds like you think CKS will never change. I wonder what his plan is should players continue to be added to the injury list faster than they come off? Where is the tipping point and is UGA close to it?

Fortunately the early schedule allows for some saturday's off for banged up players. At least until the AU game.

• Options

Nah Bro. just trying to be respectful toward you. Many times I like and agree with your comments.

But I believe as best I understand him, that what your asking would be for Kirby to change one of his deep core beliefs. And No I just don’t think he would be willing to do that. And I Do doubt that privately he cares much about what an Ivy League HC thinks about how practices are done. I’m pretty sure he Wouldn’t come out and for no reason just bash on that HC but I don’t think he’d be willing to change one of his core tenets based on him neither. It’s the old mantra if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

YES it’s been stated that this is the highest number of player injuries in Kirby’s time at UGA. Still, unless and until things get much worse I don’t think we’ll see a change in that. Kirby is old school in that (so am I). Again he could surprise me on that but I don’t look for it. I think you Know Kirby is plenty adaptable he’s shown that many times. And winning at the level he’s won at would be Much, Much more difficult if he wasn’t adaptable. But there are some things I think that are hard wired into his thinking that he’s not gonna change. But I don’t know the man on a personal basis, so I could be Very wrong.

These things said I read the other night that the lowest paid NFL player for 2023 makes $430K a year !! That’s a Ton of $$$ for the lowest paid guys !! I was making $35K a year with twenty five years of service when I retired from my last job ( I’d been in the work force full time employment 39 years, 44 years if you count part time from my youth). I could list numerous vocations that are FAR more dangerous Both short and long term than College Football and the NFL. But I Know your already well aware of that.

I think these guys Know or Should know the dangers playing football presents. It’s been discussed, debated, presented, educated etc. Far More in modern times than in the past. So if a guy says he didn’t realize that football is dangerous, Well I don’t know what to say, must be pretty ignorant. Same thing with boxing, especially pro. But again pro boxers make Tons of $$.

My point these folks Know the dangers and they participate anyway. They are modern versions of gladiators. BUT as you are well aware they have the best protective gear available through modern science and technical resources. Plus when they do get injured they have highly trained Trainers ( Ron Courson is one of if not The best in the business) plus all sorts of equipment and rehab to help them get well. All the precautions that Can be taken Are being pretty much taken these days.

Now days these young men and/or can ( and many Have !!) sue the School and You as the HC personally, and probably the position coach and the trainer to !! And in many of the cases they win !! My point ( Remember all those other vocations) if we’re gonna water down this Hard Contact sport much more, then might need to consider just not even having it at all. Just convert completely to flag football or some other variation of non-contact.

I firmly believe in taking all reasonable precautions, exercise the use of safety, but in the end it is a hard contact sport, people Are going to get injured. It’s not a matter of IF it’s just a matter of When. They Know that or should, their families know that or should, the HC, the coaching staff, the whole program knows that, WE the fans know that. And we eat it up like a fine meal !!

So when you have guys that have worked out and built their bodies up to the level these guys have, running at full speed at each, with the Intent to lay as big of a hit as possible on each other you Are gonna have injuries. I think really in the end it’s unavoidable.

Now back to the original story line, KS grueling practices might actually help to Reduce injuries in real games !! Yep. Because practices are much more controlled than playing a rival where your trying to Guess what the rival coach and players are gonna do !! Plus you can as HC stop the action any ole time you want to in practices, but in a real game that would cost you a valuable time out.

My response is already tremendously lengthy I apologize. The detailed version is looong, but we had a guy on my ship that fell from a very high place, it just knocked the breath out of him and bruised him up, the Doctors said that his being so built up probably saved his life !! Said his muscles served as padding !! This guy was so muscled up his hair had muscles !!

But in that line of thinking can be applied to KS and his team. When they get in Real games that hit doesn’t hurt or slow them as much as they’ve already been through Worse in practice and endured. Anyway I trust Kirby to do what’s right by the players and to win !! That’s why he makes all that $$$$ !! 😃 Sorry So lengthy. Just my opinions, I don’t know the right answers.

• Options

@navydawg makes sense. There is such a thing as "hitting shape". I get it and I think practice hitting is something that makes UGA better on game day. At this rate though UGA will not be fielding its best team. Where is the balance or correction when you are tipping past the edge?

But makes me wonder what the future of boxing and football are. Boxing has already been supplanted by MMA. In boxing guys (I won't watch women boxing) try to knock each other's heads off. Repeated blows to the head causes brain damage. In MMA there is a lot more grappling than boxing. Less direct blows to the head. Making boxing obsolete? Google Real Steel w/Hugh Jackman. Is that the future?

Is football headed the same way? When robotics are advanced to the point of natural motion will men be replaced by machines? Probably not in our lifetime but more likely as football brains are studied post mortem. Ironically, the "new" 5*'s will be the Geek Squad guys that can work a joystick like Rembrandt works a paintbrush. Until Artificial Intelligence allows "players" to act independently.

Humans are safety driven. Not always by choice. "players know dangers and participate anyway". That is why we have mandatory rules to govern many things (speed limits). Do you think it matters where progressive safety measures were originated? Does it matter who invented seat belts or air bags? When (not if) CFB players become employees and/or unionize do you think there will be standardization of practice methods and limitations on hitting? We have already seen rule changes to limit hitting (QB) and how you hit (targeting) in games. It might be closer than you think in practices. Already exists in the pro's.

• Options

Those are Excellent questions on your part. And I sure don’t have the answers. And it would take me so Deep and Long Term thinking to even attempt to answer them. But here’s some knee jerk answers and it’s some what u g l y.

When I say this I don’t mean all inclusive, but I do think as a majority it’s true. Here it is. Humans Love violence. At least Viewing violence. All one need do is look at all the graphic movies.

Modern football brings out a emotion I believe similar to the ancient gladiators. MANY fans Love that big hit from a defender in football. You can see it very clearly when it happens in games people will go Ohhhhh but their smiling !! Some will even say Oh Nice Hit !!

And in my opinion IF that’s watered down To Much then it will take that emotional element away that I don’t know the name for.

My nephew had a promising baseball career when at 18 he got paralyzed from a diving accident. He died in 2004 in his very early 40s. I Saw clearly the suffering he endured as a wheelchair bound quadriplegic. I’d Never, Ever wish that on Anybody !!

BUT football players Need to understand that that is a Very Real possibility. And frankly with the level of awareness we have Now in modern times I think they Are aware. Yet they play anyway. And many will never sniff the NFL. Why ?? Because of that unnamed emotion that Loves violence !! it gives them a opportunity to be a hero in front of an audience. And it feeds Their inner beast.

It’s a some what controlled version of War !! Patton seemed to understand it. I’d be a raging Hypocrite if I didn’t say I like when a Safety ( Dawgs) puts a big hit on a WR. I do !! If we put To Much precaution in that will take that emotion away.

I’m not sure it can be replicated through machines. As humans Love that personal contact. Bowers is just one of Many examples, but KS had bragged on him and others about Embracing striking people !! Football is a rough and tough sport. It’s not for the feint hearted. I’ve heard that European Rugby is Much worse than American Football though I don’t know for a fact.

There is a Beast in the hearts of a Huge part of humanity that wants to be fed and fed good. You’ve again opened up some Excellent questions. I don’t know how Balance can be reached. All I can say to avoid being Hypocritical is I’m old school when it comes to football. If a person has Any doubts what so ever about the dangers of it then they probably don’t need to be in the sport.

Last thing just a thought. Rodeo is Extremely dangerous !! Mechanical bulls have been out since the very late 70s. But those haven’t made even a small dent in placating people’s Need to View and Participate in That dangerous sport. Which is actually much more dangerous than football as those animals are only looking out after their own survival, they don’t understand what those crazy humans riding them want !! You’ve brought up some head scratchers for sure !!

• Options
    edited September 2023

Oh another thought just popped into my Slow brain. 😀 You brought up about Mandatory Safety. You used seal belts and air bags to illustrate your points. Good. And your right. But take NASCAR for instance. Tons and Tons of safety precautions have been implemented from the old days to now.

But and Still at the end of the day you have a human being encased in a steel box with all sorts of safety devices but Still at speeds well over 200 mph depending on the track. AND here’s the most compelling thing, if they were honest and admit it they Enjoy when the cars crash !! They being the Spectators. It’s Exciting !! And the drivers ?? Quite a few have been killed others seriously injured for life. So Why do they Still want to do it ?? To feed that competitive beast, to feed that “hero” beast, and to feed that “ danger” beast. One Beast with Three heads !!

Danger is exciting and intoxicating to Many people. Both Participants and Viewers. You Can replicate it to Some extent, actually a pretty high level, just think video games. BUT to Many people that’s not enough to feed that Beast of several emotions. That’s Why you have all these outlaw street racers. I don’t know. It’s a strange paradox for sure.

• Options
    edited September 2023

Another knee jerk answer on my part. Which means surely and not necessarily the Right answer. If I were a Strong Safety for example and you were a WR my Job is to lay a strong enough and big enough hit on you to dislodge the ball assuming I missed in covering you and you had already made the catch.

So what to say on these things ?? Yes, Yes and more Yes, install **** Reasonable Safety precautions while trying to protect the *****Integrity of the game at the same time. So What Is and Who Decides what are “Reasonable” safety precautions ?? I don’t know. That will require lengthy studies and discussions by people Much, Much smarter than I with the authority and responsibility to make such changes.

What is the “Integrity” of the game ?? To Me it’s the original point of the game, But now tempered by the safety precautions, equipment, and rules as defined by those smart people I just referenced.

BUT there is a caution here. I honestly believe that a Majority of humanity has a Desire to feed that inner beast I discussed. And I believe that If that inner beast is regulated in order to tame him To Much many people will turn to renegade methods ( see outlaw street racing) to feed that inner beast. Will they at That point still hold a majority ?? I don’t know.

Because many people like Me ( and You) Also have a strong desire to adhere to the law. SO if I was put in a position to have to violate the law to feed My inner beast, No I probably wouldn’t. I wouldn’t like it at all but in My case I Can live without college football. I already stopped watching the NFL.

So For Now I think the Inner Beast Feeders do hold a majority. But if sports were put in a more legality context, those numbers might drop to a point where the Beast Feeders would no longer hold the majority.

Do I have a sense of being immoral for supporting CFB in its current form ?? Absolutely Not !! As I believe awareness is at an all time high. Players Know and have a Choice. They and their families are Ultimately responsible for Their decisions.

For gosh years and years you can join the military at age 17 legally with parental or guardian consent. Still can. Many have. And quite a few have Died in service to our country.

So though I’d be broken hearted for Any player from Any team to get hit and be paralyzed for life. I don’t think that player could be honest and claim they didn’t know that danger. Not in This age. So to conclude after very smart people have done intensive studies, discussion, and debate, They Will make the necessary changes.

And I as a fan will abide by those. Then it will be a matter of if the Inner Beast is fed whether I’ll continue to watch. But I Won’t break the laws of the land to feed that Inner Beast !! I guess he’ll just have to starve !! So in the interim I’m gonna enjoy CFB and NASCAR as they are in their current forms. I have nothing against rodeo but I just don’t watch it. And just wait and see what the smart folks in authority come up with. And react hopefully appropriately At That Point. This is indirect but does have some relation to our conversation.

They were talking about on TV the other day about how AI is making an already lazy society even more so. I’m 66 years old, when I was coming up the only kind of phones that could be operated from a vehicle were the James Bond like phones where radio operators had to make the connections. And the equipment for such a phone nearly took up the whole trunk.

Now like everyone else I can’t live it seems without my “Smart” phone !! Are we better off now ?? In some ways Yes. In other ways No. That’s a whole other Very Lengthy conversation. So Yes Technology in many ways has made us Better. But in many ways No we’re worse off. Another great paradox !!

• Options
    edited September 2023

Overly simplified, there may be something inherently primal at the core of sports especially "combat" sports like football. But I don't think that outweighs the fun of sports for most people that are good at it. People "play" because sports are fun. Not to injure other people (for most people). Competing for the goal of winning gives the contest value/meaning.

Professional players play for the fun AND the MONEY. That is why you see these guys trying very hard to get to another contract. No matter how much their skills have eroded w/age/injury. They hang on as long as their bodies can possibly stand the abuse.

AND maybe for the ATTENTION? Clearly a lot of professional athletes like to be the center of attention and draw attention to themselves. Success w/the opposite sex and adulation from immature "hero" worshippers also probably rank above smashing another human being.

NASCAR crashes. Sadly there will always be an element that indulges their most base instincts. And capitalists that will pander to them. Just because people enjoy spectacles does not guarantee that they remain under regulated or even legal. The Roman Colosseum gladiator battles and public executions were once normal and accepted cultural events. I hear heroin is pretty "intoxicating" but you will never see it legalized. Many people have been known to lack good sense on occasion and require intervention "for their own good". For the record I believe most people are racing fans to enjoy the speed, skill of the drivers, competition between drivers/teams and the social element. More so than waiting for cars to crash.

Robotics? There was a time people were sure the earth was flat or the thought of flying or landing on the moon was science fiction.

There are some old timers that already say football has been watered down to a step above flag football. It has been happening right under our noses with rule changes. NCAA has a rule change this year to shorten the game in the name of safety. I think the rule changes will continue.

The original, big question is "will UGA have enough healthy, front line players, at the end of the season, to compete for a championship"? You mentioned 20 OL on the roster. There are reasons guys are 1st team, 2nd, 3rd and scout team. MAYBE half of those 20 can play SECCG caliber football. UGA already down 2 OL (77, 65) with a couple more banged up (71, 58) with 7 more SEC (and A LOT more practices) games to go.

• Options

OK I’ll be very honest. My ability to articulate things is pretty poor. That’s one of the reasons my comments tend to be so lengthy. No I don’t think guys go out and play with the deliberate intent to injure some one Especially severely. And of course Yes it’s fun.

But what We call “play” and fun is called savage by Some people. Their numbers I don’t know. But Dawgs even have a Savage Award for when a guy puts a big hit on someone. So does that alone not indicate some inner desire for a Controlled To Some Degree level of Legal violence ?? AND does not winning the award carry a little Hero Worship to ?? So I think those two things are certainly in the Mix of what makes up a contact sport like football.

What I’m trying to say is Football as a legal sport is By Far better than us going out and Illegally clubbing each other to death !! Civilized Society has actually managed to regulate that Desire for violence and sensationalism. You Do realize that we’re much more in agreement than disagreement right ??

BUT I still maintain that if Over Regulated it’s not gonna sit well with people at all. Because the original integrity ( point) of the game will have been lost. And our govt. has a bad history of Over Regulating things. Yes many, many things that are regulated, Need to be regulated, and the people that make those decisions have done a pretty good job all in all.

But if football is regulated down to a point in the name of safety that it’s like powder puff, people Are gonna complain and Very Loud. And I still maintain that you can’t Fully ( to some degree Yes) replicate those emotions and sensations through robotics. People want that Personal touch.

People Do crave sensationalism, and Many times through what We call contact sports. Native Americans had brutal games to satisfy those desires Long before football.

On Pro football players you pretty much covered it. But Tom Brady was only one of quite a few that had already acquired plenty of $$$ but stayed because of the competition. Competition can also be intoxicating, my use of that word in this context doesn’t mean drunk or negatively addictive. But the competition is very hard for allot of these guys to give up. I didn’t see it but my wife told me that Tyrus an MMA Fighter and Fox News Contributor openly wept when he retired from MMA the other day. They just hate to give it up in many cases.

About Old Timers lamenting about rule changes in football. As the rules water down the sport that noise is gonna get Much louder. And at some point people, I don’t know the numbers are gonna walk away from HS football, CFB, and the Pros. Because the original point of a once Full Contact sport will have at that point been lost.

OK about the Ultimate question Will UGA by season’s end be able to field enough Quality players to win the 3peat. I don’t know. But and this is I assure you answered with No sarcasm or disrespect and not trying to be smarty pants. But To Me it’s a matter of Trust.

Do we as Dawgs fans Fully Trust Kirby Smart to get the job done ?? It’s fine and Allot of fun for us as fans to be objective, to critique, to analyze, to debate, discuss, etc. etc. But at the end of the day though in the long run pretty powerful we don’t have a quick and direct hand on what’s done.

Our money and voice most definitely will have an effect long term. But in the short term ( game time vs UAB) Kirby and nobody on his staff are gonna care much what We Fans think. So in the short term ( and it’d take Allot and a Long time to fire KS) we HAVE to trust Kirby. Because there’s nothing we can say or do in the short term that’s gonna change what HE wants to do.

I personally Choose to voluntarily Trust him. I’m to lazy and not gonna take out the time and effort to look it up. But wouldn’t you say it’s a pretty fair and accurate statement to say that KS has had The Best on a consecutive basis Recruiting Classes ?? I sure think so.

So When we talk about the O Line for example, that’s not just some hodgepodge of guys but a good collection of some of the very best in CFB. I think we have two down to injuries might be more, so that would leave 18 if I’m right. No one can predict how many Might get injured as the season goes on. But Yes I trust Kirby and his staff though Kirby will need to be Very proactive with the O line Coach to field sufficient players by end of season.

There are many, many more we could cite, Especially when you look Back at previous years in the KS era. But let’s just take these three, look what KS and his staff did with Ladd McConkey primarily a good basketball player and a QB in HS !! To the best of my knowledge he never even played WR in HS. OK before you say it, Yes I know he’s injured. But now you have Cash Jones and Mews !! McConkey a three star, Cash and Mews both Walk-Ons !!

And be assured Kirby is ramping up others as well. When I say Kirby you know I’m referring to him And his staff. So finally here’s My take if anyone can hold practices as grueling and brutal as the Dawgs currently do, and STILL have enough healthy players to Realistically pursue a Ntl. Title after regular season it’s Kirby Smart and his staff !! I Trust him and them !!

Now that said I can almost guarantee you that you will see ME making all sorts of whining and complaining comments in the “Live” thread in some tight games this year !! You’ll also see me pontificating on Well they oughta do this and they oughta do that, and Don’t do this and Don’t do that !! That’s all part of the fun !! KS, Mike Bobo, Will Muschamp, others on the staff have forgot more about football than I’ll ever know !! 😀

I (We) can speculate it to pieces but in the end it boils down to Do We Trust Kirby Smart to get it done ?? Well he’s batting pretty hot !! Two in a row so far !! Yes I do trust him !! I might go on some really lengthy negative rants on here from time to time but in the end I trust Kirby. Will he make mistakes ?? Of course he’s human !! Will he sometimes make some pretty horrendous mistakes ?? Yep, again he’s human. But for now and so far whether they (ESPN and all the other talking heads) want to Properly acknowledge him or not he’s the hottest commodity in CFB, and he’s trending Up.

We might not 3peat, and like most Dawgs I’d be Very, Very disappointed !! But then again I think Even With the current injury list we have a Very solid shot at it. Time will tell the story. But as long as Kirby is HC we will either be winning Nattys outright or right there knocking on the door. Kirby Smart has built a winning football program at Georgia. And that to quite a few folks outside of our fanbase dismay !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I will start watching more Rugby the more they take the 'manness' out of the sport. Football is one of the last refuges that hasn't been ruined by our culture. A culture designed to emasculate men and turn them into softer kinder gentler versions of themselves that resemble women.

It is unnatural for men to not want to be aggressive and violent and pound their chest, etc.

When football loses the toughness and violence it will fade into a nothing sport.

Give me red meat, quarterback sacks, cold beer and guys beating each other silly. Of course a few passes now and then is good too.

If you are afraid of getting hurt do not play football. Try tennis, or golf, or pickleball or xc.

Aarrgh!

• Options

Was just about to go to bed when I had some more thoughts on our conversation. The emotions and thinking that I believe go into sports have a mixture of components.

Those things I talked about feeding the Inner Beast are components but not everything. As a Christian I would not watch, support, or endorse CFB if it’s Only objective was to satisfy some sort of blood lust !! No !! No !!

But I Do believe that CFB and other contact sports help to satisfy those primal desires, Coupled With many other more civilized emotions and desires.

I can’t remember which school seems like it was Coastal Carolina ?? And it was when Coach Richt was still at UGA, a young man got hit in a clean play but his head was in a bad angle and it broke his neck. That made me emotionally and even some what physically Sick !! I remember instantly thinking about my nephew I told you about when that happened.

Still and Even after those Totally life changing injuries, Some, certainly not all, but some when asked would they have played football if they could do it all over again, answer Yes I would play and take the risks !! So there are some extremely powerful emotions driving many of these players certainly not all either but many.

When we think about it, Life it’s self is full of risks. But a large part of Living is being willing to carefully weigh out, but in the end Face those risks to enjoy a full life, not Necessarily a lengthy life but a full life.

Though I’m a Very, Very poor representative and have failed Badly and To Often, I put My Faith in Jesus Christ. My journey with Him began in 1992 and I’ve Never regretted that decision. My only regret is having waited so long !!

I’ve really enjoyed our conversation. You Sir are a Very Intelligent and Wise person !! You have a very positive attitude and have extremely clear thinking. It’s pretty obvious you are a man of great intellect.

I wish You and your family a Great and Safe season !! I Hope Yall have a great and happy time, and I sure hope we will see ole Kirby holding up National Title Trophy #3 in the end !! For us as Dawgs fans that would be so Awesome !! God Bless and talk to you again soon !!

As I said before I always enjoy your comments and tend to agree with your reasonable and well thought out comments the majority of the time !! Hey You run for President and I’ll be your Vice and together we’ll get this thing fixed !!! 😂 Take Care !!

• Options

You are right as rain my Bro. !! Soon and Very Soon there won’t be any place or venue or what ever for Men to enjoy being Men !!

I mean we live in a country where people are Confused about what gender they are !! 🤪 I’ve seen things in the last 20 years of my 66 years on the planet I Never Ever dreamed in my worse nightmares I’d see !!

For Me CFB is an escape from all the pressures that life has, Especially these days. And now Im seeing it headed to being SO revised and regulated it will bear little resemblance ( Already Has in many ways) to the sport I grew up loving, though I didn’t play it.

I got my first Full Time job at age 14 and never looked back. First Part Time job at age 8 and had one every year until I went Full Time at age 14. So the only sports I was able to fit in was two years of Little League baseball and two years of Junior League.

I barely graduated HS though if I hadn’t been a clown fooling around I think I could have done at least some better.

Worked after graduation for about six months after graduation then went into the military. Frankly Im disgusted make that Sick of the direction our country is headed in.

But I could go on and on about that. Bore Y’all to sleep !! 😀 It is what it is, I’ll just have to learn how to live and survive in it. No other options really. It’s ALL in God’s hands I’ll trust in Him !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options

I remember playing football with guys who 'speared' all the time. It usually was smaller guys who knew it was a dang weapon and you learned to do the Ol' Torero move on em. I remember thinking boy that guys going to break his neck one day. I remember spitting on guys after tackling them and blowing snot on them and grabbing dudes on the inside of their leg on the pileons (which is quite painful by the way). We had guys get many broken noses when you had the helmets with or without the crossbars because some of the crossbars were not big and their was plenty of room to get your hand in there. I had my nose broke a couple times and I had stiches on chin where a guy hit me almost unconscious on a kickoff team. I had my finger broken and my shoulder separated. And I played through all of those injuries and enjoyed it. I had great friends and memories and not once did I think I would rather do something else. We had the sliding in mud every year where we filled the field up and dove head first, etc.

Great times and friendships from that. Some injuries. We never complained about getting our bell rung or a a guy getting knocked out. It was just considered part of the sport. Take a minute off and go back in. These youngsters now ....

• Options

Oh Yeah !!! Y’all was doing it the ole fashioned Good Ole Way !! I boxed in Non-Official Boxing in HS. Back in my day that was allowed. My record was 12-2. But those two I lost, I lost Bad Lol !!

My older brother broke my nose Twice in separate personal fights we got in !! In fact my doctors believe that a “ nasal cavity” I have might well have come from that !! I get sinusitis Really bad from foreign matter collecting in the cavity and getting infected.

Like You I was rough and tough and strutted my stuff !! And Enjoyed it !! I think it’s a Terrible Tragedy that we now have so many boys that are not even sure what sex they are !! And it’s a proclamation of just how depraved our nation has become.

I’m the middle brother of three with no sisters we fought Hard all the time !! 😂 And my Bro. you couldn’t keep us Inside the house !! Rain sleet, miserable hot, freezing cold we were gonna be Outside doing something Active.

Now kids are so addicted to these smart phones like I’m holding or Vid games their bodies are in Terrible shape !!

One of my grandsons is Grossly over weight !! But his single parent Mama ( my daughter) only gets extremely pissed when I Try to say something. Her older son quit HS. He’s got a job at Dunkin’ Doughnuts. He’s deeep in the Goth stuff and his face looks like a bait & tackle shop !!

Now my other two grandsons by my Son and his wife are Heavy into sports !! Baseball and Football !! Both of them Love the outside !! I Love ALL FOUR, I just feel sorry for the ones by my daughter. But I’m not allowed to say anything to them. She and I are estranged from each other by Her choice. Just wish I had all the baskets of $$$$ I sunk into her Before she made the declaration she hates me !!

My Son and my Daughter-In-Law get along fine. I wouldn’t change a thing about how I was raised, good, bad, or in between. My Daddy ( deceased) was my Hero and Yeah he beat my azz. Should have beat it allot more !! My Mama would beat our azzes to. And I Love Both of them with All my heart !! I’m glad they are together in Heaven !!

• Options

@UGADad20 @BigDawg888 Sort of off topic but indirectly related. When I was HS nearly every guy that drove a pickup truck had a shotgun or rifle or both in the window rack. Some guys had pistols in their cars & trucks. As far as I know school officials knew cause you could very clearly See them in the window racks !! Yet they Never confiscated any !! Never went around checking vehicles!!

Now there might have been and some how I just missed it but I don’t recall hearing or reading or seeing on TV about Any school shootings in Ga. Or for that matter the entire SE part of the country !! The Only shooting that I recall back then but it was a Bad one, Terrible was the Texas A&M Bell Tower Shooting.

I don’t even recall anyone pulling a knife on anyone at my school. There Were some good fist fights though !! So what happened ?? To Me that’s proof positive that inanimate objects ( firearms) don’t just get up go out and kill people !! As I said earlier I’m one of three brothers.

When each one of us reached age 12 Daddy bought us a .22 rifle for Christmas. After giving us a very detailed and lengthy Repeat of Safety Rules he had preached heavily before he’d give us the rifle and One box of ammo. He said as long as you bring in rabbit and squirrels to eat ( course we had to dress them out) you get ammo when you Need it, but if you go out and ping it all up, your on your own !! You buy your own out of $$ you make !!

I’m So, So Thankful I was raised like I was. Now I’m living in a world that I don’t understand at all. I have PTSD from losing Two shipmates only a month apart, both only 21 yrs old. One was my best friend at that time, we had just celebrated his 21 B-Day in Athens Greece two weeks before he was killed in the line of duty. I came Very, Very close to losing my life in the line of duty Twice.

And now days I find myself asking Did my friends and So Many others that died serving our country, Die In Vain ?? Our country is falling very fast and it breaks my heart into a billion pieces !! Oh well what will be will be I guess. I feel like a Stranger in my own country.

• Options

I'm sorry about your friends. I appreciate your service. My brother in law has PTSD from being blown up by a mortar round in Afghanistan. I am his venting phone call buddy. I just listen.

I hope you are getting VA help and have someone like me to listen to you and support you.

Best wishes brother. I recommend Jesus for all people but especially for war vets as the best way to find peace. I'm still working on my brother in law but like a lot of vets (my Dad) also it is hard to reconcile what humans can do to each other.