Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Trashing Tech

AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So I was thinking about the whole discussion of removing Tech as a permanent opponent from the schedule and while I'm not totally for it, the idea of playing Clemson, Miami, Florida State, or even Ohio State/Michigan/USC/Oklahoma more frequently is interesting!

However, with the way the schedule is done and the weekend that COFH falls on every weekend, I'm not really sure it's logical. That is hate week after all and most teams play their in-state rival (Clemson/USCjr, UF/FSU, Bama/Auburn, UK/UL, etc) or another big rival (Michigan/Ohio State). Who would we be able to schedule that weekend? We certainly wouldn't want to move one of the FCS/Go5 teams in there. Maybe Mizzou if they wanted to play Arkansas on a different weekend. Thoughts?

P.S. It definitely got a stir from some of the Tech fans from what I can see, so at least there's that!

Comments

• Dakota_NesterDakota_Nester Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I have a good amount of Tech buddies and that weekend has always been a fun one, would hate to lose it! We have 3 other out of conference opponents that we can switch out. Heck, we've play Clemson and GT in the same season twice in the last few years. It is more than possible, but not sure how actively we are looking for that other 'big game'. Keep the Tech game, love rubbing it in every year.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I want to keep tech. Grew up hating them and I am to old to try and to start hating another team (although there is always UT and UF (no never mind))

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Heard BA yesterday... just doesn’t feel right and have to disagree. There are other spots we can work in other schools without removing them.

I would gladly replace a Appy State or the YMCA blue adult team for someone else before removing Tech.

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He11, I wish we played the nerds twice a year so we could kick that @$$ even mo regular. Only hate gsux more than tek.

• AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dakota_Nester said:
    I have a good amount of Tech buddies and that weekend has always been a fun one, would hate to lose it! We have 3 other out of conference opponents that we can switch out. Heck, we've play Clemson and GT in the same season twice in the last few years. It is more than possible, but not sure how actively we are looking for that other 'big game'. Keep the Tech game, love rubbing it in every year.

I agree. I'm not of the mindset that we need a premier OOC opponent every single year. A balance of about 3 of those every 4-5 years works for me.

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t see the benefit from playing tech every year. If we blow them out, great, it’s what we should do. If we lose, we keep Paul Johnson employed for 10 more years and take a bad late-in-the-season loss. Plus that **** offense they run is a ticking time bomb for ruining careers with all the cut blocking. It makes me sick. They are only slightly above Georgia southern level, where playing them every other year was their super bowl but we get zero out of it other than a low quality win. I’m not necessarily saying dump tech but I wouldn’t lose any sleep if we did. I completely get where BA is coming from.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Tech s u c k s!! I want to play them every year and beat the living snot out of them!! 66-41-5 and counting... in our favor.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think it’s a little early to drop Tech off the schedule. They are beating us every few years. But with my expectations for Kirby, we beat them hard the next two years in a row and I’m ready to dump them.

Playing a better team is just more entertainment for my eyes as far as I’m concerned. If we’re gonna be as good as we think we are under Kirby, I’m just not gonna care about the Tech game nearly as much. And replacing Tech doesn’t seem like it would be any more wear and tear on our athletes. So I think we should do it.

FSU or Clemson is the likely replacements in my mind, Both good teams that would be border wars. Renewing the Clemson rivalry would have more tradition behind it. But everything Kirby does is based around recruiting. Which team would we have more to gain recruiting-wise?

My guess is FSU. Dominating FSU would make it harder for them to leach out of Georgia and give us more of a toehold into Florida. I don’t know that we could dominate Clemson year-in/year-out. But if we could, I don’t know that it hurts them as much recruiting in Georgia. Swinney seems to take a more “holistic” approach to recruiting than most coaches. His sales pitch doesn’t seem as based on, “look at what a dominate team you’d be playing for!”. I mean, there’s gonna be some of that. But it seems like Swinney does it less than other schools. I could see Swinney going 1-3 against us over the next four years, and still pulling the same recruiting classes he’s pulling now. I can’t see FSU doing that.

But I’m really guessing in that last paragraph. It’s entirely subjective.

5-10 years down the line, we should look at reinstating the Tech rivalry game though. We’re not gonna be this good forever.

Clemson’s last game is USCe. I could see Clemson dumping that to play us. And if Tech wants to, they could make their year end game USCe - that’s a better matchup for them they’re more likely to win anyway.

Who is FSU’s year end game against? I know it’s not Florida. Is it Miami? Might be hard talking them into giving that up.

@levander said:
    I think it’s a little early to drop Tech off the schedule. They are beating us every few years. But with my expectations for Kirby, we beat them hard the next two years in a row and I’m ready to dump them.

Playing a better team is just more entertainment for my eyes as far as I’m concerned. If we’re gonna be as good as we think we are under Kirby, I’m just not gonna care about the Tech game nearly as much. And replacing Tech doesn’t seem like it would be any more wear and tear on our athletes. So I think we should do it.

FSU or Clemson is the likely replacements in my mind, Both good teams that would be border wars. Renewing the Clemson rivalry would have more tradition behind it. But everything Kirby does is based around recruiting. Which team would we have more to gain recruiting-wise?

My guess is FSU. Dominating FSU would make it harder for them to leach out of Georgia and give us more of a toehold into Florida. I don’t know that we could dominate Clemson year-in/year-out. But if we could, I don’t know that it hurts them as much recruiting in Georgia. Swinney seems to take a more “holistic” approach to recruiting than most coaches. His sales pitch doesn’t seem as based on, “look at what a dominate team you’d be playing for!”. I mean, there’s gonna be some of that. But it seems like Swinney does it less than other schools. I could see Swinney going 1-3 against us over the next four years, and still pulling the same recruiting classes he’s pulling now. I can’t see FSU doing that.

But I’m really guessing in that last paragraph. It’s entirely subjective.

5-10 years down the line, we should look at reinstating the Tech rivalry game though. We’re not gonna be this good forever.

Clemson’s last game is USCe. I could see Clemson dumping that to play us. And if Tech wants to, they could make their year end game USCe - that’s a better matchup for them they’re more likely to win anyway.

Who is FSU’s year end game against? I know it’s not Florida. Is it Miami? Might be hard talking them into giving that up.

I don't see Clemson getting rid of South Carolina for us. That's too big of a rivalry.

And yes, FSU plays Florida that weekend. Another team I don't see signing up for a yearly bout with us.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As well as we are playing now, we really don’t need the game for in state recruiting or anything.

After losing that California db to BAMA, I might want to add in a PAC 12 team every year. Let’s play Cal. Let’s play Oregon, that would be bananas. Imagine UGA vs Oregon in Eugene!

We got GA on lock, let’s spread the brand. Maybe put Tech in every 3rd year, or so. Open it up....

@Bigcalidawg said:
    As well as we are playing now, we really don’t need the game for in state recruiting or anything.

After losing that California db to BAMA, I might want to add in a PAC 12 team every year. Let’s play Cal. Let’s play Oregon, that would be bananas. Imagine UGA vs Oregon in Eugene!

We got GA on lock, let’s spread the brand. Maybe put Tech in every 3rd year, or so. Open it up....

Has playing tech EVER been about in-state recruiting? Definitely not. It's about history, tradition, and bragging rights over that tortured fan base.

Ok, so that makes us sadists?

Screw Tech, upward mobility. Why Tech, when it could be Virginia Tech, Clemson, or FSU?

We’re getting better.....

@Bigcalidawg said:

Screw Tech, upward mobility. Why Tech, when it could be Virginia Tech, Clemson, or FSU?

Why not keep Tech AND play Clemson, FSU, VT, etc?

@AgDawg said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

ok, I feel it, but I still want to see us recruit better out here. Bama got a kid from my backyard last year to play TB and this year got a db from SoCal.

One more game west of the Mississippi

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bigcalidawg said:

@AgDawg said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

ok, I feel it, but I still want to see us recruit better out here. Bama got a kid from my backyard last year to play TB and this year got a db from SoCal.

One more game west of the Mississippi

I don't think there is anything special about getting Cali kids. We did ok last year and this year w/o getting them in our recruiting classes. I just want to get them. There are good players in every locality it seems. Just so we get ours.

Our schedules are boring.

I’m just trying to put a spin on it. We could play Texas. We could play Baylor, we could play Iowa. Just mix it up for Christ sake.

• jgf1031jgf1031 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Trash Tech? Why don't we trash the other high school OOC teams on our schedule?

• dawgkeeperdawgkeeper Posts: 35 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why does BA let some ESPN chick that's never played a snap of football in her life guide him to thinking UGA needs to give up on their in state rivalry game? Think a bit clearly and you'll realize that by adding a game vs LSU, Aub, Ala (SEC CHAMP) Sugar bowl victory against a top 4 team, and a return to the nat champ game against a top 2 team to the slightly down SEC East schedule things look a bit different. UGAs SOS will end up grading out as a top 10 by the end of next season. Control what you control this season and don't give up storied traditions because of someone Disney thinks can speak to real football.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2018

@dawgkeeper I kind of rolled my eyes too at BA acting like just because some schmo said something on ESPN, that that meant it was somehow important.

But ESPN didn’t make BA think nothing. BA is an entertainer at heart. It’s why his podcast is so good. And if some floozy makes a dumb comment to try to stir up controversy, BA is more than willing to try to cash in on the hoopla. Especially during a slow period in the off season.

And of course BA would want to drop the Tech game. He’s an entertainer. And we’re gonna thump Tech pretty hard for the next few years. Yeah, that’s entertaining for the guys who’ve been hating Tech for maybe even decades. But there’s a larger audience out there. A true entertainer wants more than just the die hards.

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:
    @dawgkeeper I kind of rolled my eyes too at BA acting like just because some schmo said something on ESPN, that that meant it was somehow important.

But ESPN didn’t make BA think nothing. BA is an entertainer at heart. It’s why his podcast is so good. And if some floozy makes a dumb comment to try to stir up controversy, BA is more than willing to try to cash in on the hoopla. Especially during a slow period in the off season.

And of course BA would want to drop the Tech game. He’s an entertainer. And we’re gonna thump Tech pretty hard for the next few years. Yeah, that’s entertaining for the guys who’ve been hating Tech for maybe even decades. But there’s a larger audience out there. A true entertainer wants more than just the die hards.

All good points about the entertainment aspect of the situation. If nothing else it’s something to talk about. But I think there is a 3rd party of dawg fan that is completely over the competitive disadvantage of playing tech. We have to commit significant amounts of time to prep for the 3option when it does nothig to carry over game plans to the rest of the schedule. Not to mention the injury factor. Tech is always the most stressful game of the year for me by far worrying about knees. If they ran literally any other offense I would laugh at someone suggesting we drop the game. But they play football like it’s 1964 so I at least understand the discussion to move into greener pastures.