Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Trashing Tech

2»

Comments

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2018

I understand the desire to play a border war team if we added FSU or Clemson, but this whole discussion is being driven by a weaker than usual OOC schedule. I think we keep the nerds on our schedule and dominate them. Honestly, they should be wanting to drop us instead of the other way around. I’d like to see us play Texas, Washington, Michigan State, or another Big10 school. How much fun was it to play ND and OK in the same season? With that said, we cannot reasonably make it to the NC game again if we are loading up top-10 OOC games again. That’s why Alabama has been there so much. They relay on the SEC brand to give them a ticket there. We should do the same. Beat USCjr, TN, FL, Auburn and Bama in a year, and that’s a monster schedule. Who cares what some woman analyst on ESPN thinks of our schedule?

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greshamdisco said:
    I understand the desire to play a border war team if we added FSU or Clemson, but this whole discussion is being driven by a weaker than usual OOC schedule. I think we keep the nerds on our schedule and dominate them. Honestly, they should be wanting to drop us instead of the other way around. I’d like to see us play Texas, Washington, Michigan State, or another Big10 school. How much fun was it to play ND and OK in the same season? With that said, we cannot reasonably make it to the NC game again if we are loading up top-10 OOC games again. That’s why Alabama has been there so much. They relay on the SEC brand to give them a ticket there. We should do the same. Beat USCjr, TN, FL, Auburn and Bama in a year, and that’s a monster schedule. Who cares what some woman analyst on ESPN thinks of our schedule?

Bama does usually schedule a top opponent to open the year at a neutral site. Although, this year against Louisville (without Lamar Jackson) isn't as high profile as some of the previous years. It's about on par with Tech.

• dawgkeeperdawgkeeper Posts: 35 ✭✭✭ Junior

@VaBeachDawg said:

@levander said:
    @dawgkeeper I kind of rolled my eyes too at BA acting like just because some schmo said something on ESPN, that that meant it was somehow important.

But ESPN didn’t make BA think nothing. BA is an entertainer at heart. It’s why his podcast is so good. And if some floozy makes a dumb comment to try to stir up controversy, BA is more than willing to try to cash in on the hoopla. Especially during a slow period in the off season.

And of course BA would want to drop the Tech game. He’s an entertainer. And we’re gonna thump Tech pretty hard for the next few years. Yeah, that’s entertaining for the guys who’ve been hating Tech for maybe even decades. But there’s a larger audience out there. A true entertainer wants more than just the die hards.

All good points about the entertainment aspect of the situation. If nothing else it’s something to talk about. But I think there is a 3rd party of dawg fan that is completely over the competitive disadvantage of playing tech. We have to commit significant amounts of time to prep for the 3option when it does nothig to carry over game plans to the rest of the schedule. Not to mention the injury factor. Tech is always the most stressful game of the year for me by far worrying about knees. If they ran literally any other offense I would laugh at someone suggesting we drop the game. But they play football like it’s 1964 so I at least understand the discussion to move into greener pastures.

The offense will change soon when Paul gets run off. That's not permanent, the rivalry is.

• dawgkeeperdawgkeeper Posts: 35 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think the preparation which resulted in our much improved display of displine and lateral pursuit we achieved in the tech game this season actually helped us get better as a defense overall. We definitely defended edge running plays better in Atlanta the following week in the dome than we did on the plains against the same offense two weeks prior.

• Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@AgDawg said:

Clemson’s last game is USCe. I could see Clemson dumping that to play us. And if Tech wants to, they could make their year end game USCe - that’s a better matchup for them they’re more likely to win anyway.

Who is FSU’s year end game against? I know it’s not Florida. Is it Miami? Might be hard talking them into giving that up.

I don't see Clemson getting rid of South Carolina for us. That's too big of a rivalry.

And yes, FSU plays Florida that weekend. Another team I don't see signing up for a yearly bout with us.

I wouldn't get hung up on the timing of the game as much as the reason McGarity wants the three cupcakes on the schedule is so that we don't have to do a home and home. Got to keep the money rolling in! Playing florida in Jacksonville hurts our home gate revenues ( a little not a lot) so that sort of keeps the AD's hands tied about playing a home and with another big name team unless we dump Tech. As VaBeachDawg stated their are some serious drawbacks to playing Tech, major upset if we lose and no bounce in the polls if we when. We currently spend time preparing for their offense when it could be well spent other ways. And don't discount the cut blocks, very dangerous to our D lineman. Yes I know that when Johnson leaves then the offense will most likely change but he could be around another ten years or so and there are still the other drawbacks of playing Tech. Imagine the slap in the face that Tech would get if we told them " you don't bring enough to the table so we're discontinuing the series." That would tick them off!

@Lefty13 said:

@AgDawg said:

Clemson’s last game is USCe. I could see Clemson dumping that to play us. And if Tech wants to, they could make their year end game USCe - that’s a better matchup for them they’re more likely to win anyway.

Who is FSU’s year end game against? I know it’s not Florida. Is it Miami? Might be hard talking them into giving that up.

I don't see Clemson getting rid of South Carolina for us. That's too big of a rivalry.

And yes, FSU plays Florida that weekend. Another team I don't see signing up for a yearly bout with us.

I wouldn't get hung up on the timing of the game as much as the reason McGarity wants the three cupcakes on the schedule is so that we don't have to do a home and home. Got to keep the money rolling in! Playing florida in Jacksonville hurts our home gate revenues ( a little not a lot) so that sort of keeps the AD's hands tied about playing a home and with another big name team unless we dump Tech. As VaBeachDawg stated their are some serious drawbacks to playing Tech, major upset if we lose and no bounce in the polls if we when. We currently spend time preparing for their offense when it could be well spent other ways. And don't discount the cut blocks, very dangerous to our D lineman. Yes I know that when Johnson leaves then the offense will most likely change but he could be around another ten years or so and there are still the other drawbacks of playing Tech. Imagine the slap in the face that Tech would get if we told them " you don't bring enough to the table so we're discontinuing the series." That would tick them off!

I thought it was reported that UGA, and UF for that matter, make more money playing in Jacksonville than they would at home. The city of Jacksonville pays both teams a handsome sum to come play every year. And I think that's one of the main reasons they play there, not just because of tradition, but $$$.

Yeah, thought it was more, I think I saw the $5.75 mil, but that's for both teams combined over 5 years. But $250k, plus they still split the gate 50/50 (which I would guess is $3 mil+ per team) and have no expenses like they would opening up their own stadiums. Not a bad gig, considering it's a good game to recruit FL HS players.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgkeeper said:

@VaBeachDawg said:

@levander said:
    @dawgkeeper I kind of rolled my eyes too at BA acting like just because some schmo said something on ESPN, that that meant it was somehow important.

But ESPN didn’t make BA think nothing. BA is an entertainer at heart. It’s why his podcast is so good. And if some floozy makes a dumb comment to try to stir up controversy, BA is more than willing to try to cash in on the hoopla. Especially during a slow period in the off season.

And of course BA would want to drop the Tech game. He’s an entertainer. And we’re gonna thump Tech pretty hard for the next few years. Yeah, that’s entertaining for the guys who’ve been hating Tech for maybe even decades. But there’s a larger audience out there. A true entertainer wants more than just the die hards.

All good points about the entertainment aspect of the situation. If nothing else it’s something to talk about. But I think there is a 3rd party of dawg fan that is completely over the competitive disadvantage of playing tech. We have to commit significant amounts of time to prep for the 3option when it does nothig to carry over game plans to the rest of the schedule. Not to mention the injury factor. Tech is always the most stressful game of the year for me by far worrying about knees. If they ran literally any other offense I would laugh at someone suggesting we drop the game. But they play football like it’s 1964 so I at least understand the discussion to move into greener pastures.

The offense will change soon when Paul gets run off. That's not permanent, the rivalry is.

Queen bee of the hive isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

• Dakota_NesterDakota_Nester Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Everyone realizes that;
    1. We have (3) other non-conference games that I would be happy to schedule anyone other than UMASS and Austin Peay
    2. Why would other teams give up their major rival to play UGA (that's ****)?
    3. Tech is not a bad out of conference opponent. In the last (10) years, they've been ranked Top #25 (3) times.

Before we start eliminating Rivals from our schedule, start scheduling better opponents year in and out and then I'll consider it. When there are no more Austin Peay, UMASS, or other school we're paying $1 million dollars to beat up, then maybe I'll change my mind.

@Dakota_Nester said:
    Everyone realizes that;
    1. We have (3) other non-conference games that I would be happy to schedule anyone other than UMASS and Austin Peay
    3. Tech is not a bad out of conference opponent. In the last (10) years, they've been ranked Top #25 (3) times.

Before we start eliminating Rivals from our schedule, start scheduling better opponents year in and out and then I'll consider it. When there are no more Austin Peay, UMASS, or other school we're paying $1 million dollars to beat up, then maybe I'll change my mind.

Dakota bro I hear ya and agree with ya.

• Dakota_NesterDakota_Nester Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@JRT812 said:

@Dakota_Nester said:
    Everyone realizes that;

Sorry if you thought this was directed towards you haha more of a general statement.

@Dakota_Nester said:

@JRT812 said:

@Dakota_Nester said:
    Everyone realizes that;

Sorry if you thought this was directed towards you haha more of a general statement.

Nope not at all and was only stating I’m on the same page as you

• 21oz21oz Posts: 113 ✭✭✭ Junior

Turkey season starts Saturday. Johnson may not survive. Just sayin.

• Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope we never drop playing Tech. We own them, and being able to rub it in their faces nearly every year, is pure satisfaction. Keep playing them! Keep dominating them! keep them sad and angry! Most importantly, keep running this state!

Screw those yeller flies!

GO DAWGS!