Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Historic Georgia football streak on the line, 3 keys from Kirby Smart

SystemSystem Posts: 10,649 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageHistoric Georgia football streak on the line, 3 keys from Kirby Smart

ATHENS — Georgia football is in the midst of the most impressive run in program history with back-to-back national titles and a 22-game win streak.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We need to score quick and put the clock against them. Let them try to go 12 plays and waste the clock, get a lead and make them go more passing. Can't let them dictate to us how the game is going to be played. We're the hunters!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would take the ball first if we win the toss. We need to score a TD first, score often and make them play from behind. They definitely aren’t built to come from behind. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

K Smart has being saying all week that there's parity, and he's very right. Kentucky stacks up well against our talent. They have two key ingredients that are needed to win, a very good defensive line and a very good running game. Bobo better not spend half the game running up the middle. This game is a toss up. Hopefully the crowd will help out.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

KY's style is to "shrink the game". A slow start and falling behind this week could be difficult to come back from. You know Stoops will have a plan to not let BB's beat him. So other players will have to step up. Can UGA players (beside BB's) make enough big, crunch time plays to beat a ranked team?

• Options

THeres only so much you can do to stop a really good TE. Put a LB on him, yeh when he runs over the middle maybe, but when they spread him out then its going to be a safety or nickle guy.(much smaller) I remember when we played Notre Dame and they had that TE that ate our lunch and almost won the game single-handedly for them. We knew he was going to get the ball and we couldn't do much to stop him.

THey could bracket BB and try to limit his yards after catch, but that leaves someone open elsewhere every time. I look for Ladd, Arian, or Ra-Ra to have some big catches! Punching and counter punching time for Bobo!

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I've said it before, we need a package for BVG. His ability to run IMO might make a big difference, his passing hasn't looked to bad either. It wouldn't surprise me to see him play. That's not a knock against CB, it's smart football, no pun intended....

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 407 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Georgia matches up very well against Kentucky -Our Offensive line is better than Florida's. I watched the Auburn game again and our Defensive Line got penetration, but our linebackers took poor angles or were out of position. This can be fixed this week by repetitive practices and think we play up to our abilities on Saturday.

Georgia 34 Kentucky 13

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Could this really be how it ends for this greatest run in Georgia football history — getting out-physicalled on home turf by a basketball school?".......Well Mike, it could, BUT IT WON"T......both O-Lines average 6'5" and 315 but our ace is our depth....both D-Lines 6'3" 285 but our ace is strength and quickness plus LB's that pursue faster than a hot house hornet....the stage is set for the most PHYSICAL TRENCH WAR in the SEC this year....and I have it on very good authority that Our Dawgs realize this and are committed to beat down this Wildcat threat.....Of course I also subscribe to the other great admonishments offered here....Win the toss and receive, Quick start TD, Build a 2 plus score lead, Take away their run game, pressure/hound their QB every play, Be deafening loud...in short, OUT PHYSICAL them!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just win, baby. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The real ace in the hole is the night game in Athens! With possessions at a premium, KY is going to begin two or three possessions behind the sticks due to procedure and delay of game penalties caused by our defensive line shifts and deafening crowd noise. It’s time for Kirby’s 12th man to have their best game of the season! Show up and show out Dawg Nation! Your team needs you!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

There are things to do to focus on the TE. Roll coverage his way when he is in the slot. Put a CB (or other fast coverage guy) on him that he can't shake. He can'r run over a CB if the CB doesn't let him catch the ball. Look for KY to bracket BB's.

You could try to force the ball into him. But that would be asking for INT's. TO's will probably be the difference in this game. Would be easier if other players stepped up.

RaRa has started holding on to the ball. Does he know his routes and checks yet? Lovett has been having trouble catching/holding on to the ball (as does Delp) . Maybe 86 moves back to WR this week w/2 coming back. The word circulating is that 84 is a game time decision. Something tells me that game plan planner CKS tries to sneak a couple of big plays in to Luckie. I also expect to see a long pass to 11 this week.

IF the young Dawgs can't get up for a 5-0 ranked SECe competitor they have OD'd on rat poison.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“…. so most of their games end up playing that way, a little tighter than others, similar to us at times.”____Kirby Smart

Hmmm....what is Kirby "not saying? I'll tell ya what i think...he DIDN'T say...that Kentucky plays that way, because they have "no choice". Shut down the running game and shutdown the Wildcats.

On the other hand....UGA is capable of playing any style of offense they choose. Which means....Saturday, I look for a "UGA offensive explosion", in the 1st half...[that will rival the one against Oregon or TCU].

This will force Kentucky to do what they are incapable of doing..."pass the ball downfield in the face of a rush". When they do, it will land in the loving arms of Bulldog Defenders. Wildcat turnovers will translate to Bulldog points...IMO.

It's not as bad as it seems. Lol....Kirby, is not going to let a Nationally Televised, night game in Athens, go to waste. This is a recruiting game! Look for lots of Offensive output and "Run & Zone Blitzing" to get Kentucky off their game.

I'll be shocked, if the Dawgs come out of this game, with the same question marks they have, going in. A lot of apprehension will be eased, Saturday night. IMO. Otherwise....panic. Lol

• Options

I think....Vandergriff is Kirby's, "Ace-in-the-hole". He could be used, in the same way Saban used Tua in the 2017 Natty. Or...Hurts, in the 2018 SECCG. He'll get some reps throughout the season...but, not against Kentucky, IMO. Unless it's late-game clean-up duty.

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 334 ✭✭✭ Junior

Had to jump to the comments section:

“How it ends”??? What? The streak?

I don’t think anybody gives a shite about the “streak” as long as the standard (ie, the championship aspirations) remains in place.

• Options
    DAWGHOUNDDAWGHOUND Posts: 23 ✭✭ Sophomore

We have got to stop the outside run game. We are strong on the line so we can contained them there but we can't let them get outside and no arm tackles, take their legs out from under them. GO DAWGS

• Options

After reviewing KY's wins I feel somewhat better about things. Surely UGa coaches have reviewed their wins and it's evident to all even by a casual glance you can throw it on them.. Ball St., Eastern KY, Fla all threw for over 200yards. and a little surprisingly Fla ran for less yards against them than those smaller schools. A combination of KY playing their best game of the year against FLA at home(obviously they were up and ready for the Gators) and a poor rush defensive performance by us sort of set me on edge.

I think we play to our strengths which is passing it down the field and running some after we have loosened them up a bit. The home crowd should be juiced and a cold front will move through right before game time and it will be a madhouse!

UGA 37-KY 21

• Options
    edited October 2023

UGA 51....KTY 13. That's my prediction.

The Dawgs will score 30 points in the 1st half....score 30-7 at the half. They'll finish it off with 3 more TD's...[2 on turnovers]...and Ketucky will score 2 FG's in the 2nd half, for a minor "moral victory". Lol

That's how I think it will play out....provided, Kirby goes after this game, with the gusto I believe he will. This is the perfect "Recruiting Game". IMO

The thing is....UGA doesn't have to throw any "big wrinkles" or "new schemes" at em, to WIN. They can do, basically, what they've been doing....schematically...and, still dominate the game. Kentucky plays right into Kirby's "season strategy", as far as keeping "as much", close to the vest as possible.

In fact...Kirby doesn't really, have to dig deep in the playbook, until they start facing, what I call...the "Track Meet Teams"...[Mizzou, Tennessee and Ole Miss].

• Options

Kirby Smart, reminds me of a Southpaw that learns to fight, "righty"....then, when needed...switches up. He's playing the "long game"....which is why he appears to be uncharacteristically relaxed, in interviews and on the sideline. He knows something, he's pretending, not to know. Lol