Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Hoop team balks on NIT

BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited March 2018 in General

I get it, it’s not the tourney, but most times a team still wants to prove something.

Between this, Maten drawing up a play himself on the sideline, and the players holding a players only meeting without the coach and opting out......something wasn’t right

Comments

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The season wasn’t right. Plus, I am sure they knew what was coming down the pike. Sometimes it’s best to wash your hands and take a step forward.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, this is going to make some interesting reading if Chip or Seth can get some kind of inside scoop that gives us more of an idea of what happened than just stuff that sounds like would be the typical public cover story.

I know they’d have the player connections on the football team to eventually get a good story. Even if they had to talk to graduating seniors who weren’t under team rules any more. We’ll see if they can come up with anything on the basketball side of the court...

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Could be an act of solidarity for the coach too?

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was looking for Fox to step aside and the team to give Jonas a shot to show something.

• TARDAWGTARDAWG Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    Could be an act of solidarity for the coach too?

Every article I read about the "players meeting" this was the spin the author was giving. I think the players actually were showing their support for Fox. Or maybe they wanted a better Spring Break.

• CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

What has Jonas shown for everyone to want him to get the job? He is a very good recruiter, yes, but so was Goff and we all know how that went. Sure Jonas may one day be a great HC, but this isn't the time to go out on a limb and hire an unproven HC.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CoachRob16 said:
    What has Jonas shown for everyone to want him to get the job? He is a very good recruiter, yes, but so was Goff and we all know how that went. Sure Jonas may one day be a great HC, but this isn't the time to go out on a limb and hire an unproven HC.

Unsubstantiated reports he may be kept on staff if Motta is hired. Win-win.

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

weird that guys wouldn't want to play in the nit...i get it... everyones knees prob hurt and its been a long season...but...you only get a chance to play 4 end of the yr tourneys.. if your maten...sit out get ready for the nba...its just more playing time for the other guys....the argument that they might get drug without maten doesn't wash with me....

• CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

@donm said:

@CoachRob16 said:

Unsubstantiated reports he may be kept on staff if Motta is hired. Win-win.

I couldn't agree more in that the next UGA coach should try and keep him on staff. That would be very smart. Maybe let him learn under Maata and then in a few years he will be ready!

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It rarely happens but it would be great for the program and recruiting

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m guessing he’s leaving since King is leaving now, too

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@3rdshift said:
    weird that guys wouldn't want to play in the nit...i get it... everyones knees prob hurt and its been a long season...but...you only get a chance to play 4 end of the yr tourneys.. if your maten...sit out get ready for the nba...its just more playing time for the other guys....the argument that they might get drug without maten doesn't wash with me....

They’re better than the NIT... didn’t play that way, but should have been.

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

the beauty of sports is that your the sum of your season...good bad or indifferent. Uga bball was a maybe nit team this yr...its just a lot of kids on courts everywhere dream of playing on a stage like the NIT...I realize there are many variables here that I will never know...so i won't speculate...but I lost a bit of respect for Fox on this one....doesnt seem like his style.. as i said before just weird I guess.