Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Carson Beck’s breakout changes everything from national perspective but nothing in Georgia huddle

SystemSystem Posts: 11,080 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageCarson Beck’s breakout changes everything from national perspective but nothing in Georgia huddle

ATHENS — Carson Beck put himself on the national college football map with his 389-yard, 4-touchdown performance on Saturday, jumping into the “top quarterbacks” conversation.

Read the full story here

Comments

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't tell me you buy into coach Smart's coach speak? You don't win a NC without superb QB play down the stretch. Sorry! It's a team sport we all get that, but you have to have the Jimmies and Joes. WHere have heard that before?

Tua, Young, Hurts, Mac JOnes, Cam NEwton, almost CJ Stroud, Lawrence, DeShauan Watson, .. You need a stud at QB to get it done. You can possibly get it done if your defense is all world, but more often than not, you will have to have a QB who is really really good. Most of those guys went in the 1st round.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You just made CKS's "coach speak" argument for him. "you can possibly get it done if your defense is all world". UGA '21 and '22? Check. "Superb QB play". SBIV's play in the 1st 3 Q's (really the whole game) of the '21 NCG was not superb. UGA did not need superb QB play to beat TCU in '22.

"Most of those guys went in the 1st round." All those guys went in the 1st Rd except Hurts. And Hurts is now the highest paid NFL player. It still took both "superb" Tua and Hurts to beat UGA because AL had the better coaching and teams in Jan '18 and Dec '18. SBIV did not go in the 1st 3 Rd's. But he had enough team around him to win. Neither Young nor Stroud won a championship as a starting QB because they didn't have enough team around them. Mac Jones is showing now he primarily won a championship because of the team he had around him.

Brett Favre 20 seasons 1 championship. Aaron Rodgers 19 seasons 1 championship. Dan Marino 17 seasons 0 championships. Teams win.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah that is just Kirby spreading the wealth...team effort. Nothing new. Kirby is a developer....all aspects of the game. Vision guy. Gets it done. Physical...mental. Beck is one of the most important cogs in the wheel, however. What position wins most of the Heisman's? Again, what position is most discussed among teams? QB...mostly. Without Beck, UGA probably would not be 6 & 0. I do not get rattled over what Kirby "speaks" to the media.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2023

@reddawg1

There is more than 1 way to skin a cat. Saban won titles with Matt Mauck, Greg McElroy, AJ McCarron (twice) and Jake Coker (undrafted) before winning one with Hurts (Tua) in 2017, and even that game is won by Jake Fromm if Javon Wims doesn't roll his ankle and miss the 2nd half. And while people can claim that Stetson Bennett IV became an elite player in 2022, he was not in 2021 when he had less than 2900 yards in 14 games. SB IV had only two 300 yard games in 2021, one of which was a blowout loss where he threw it nearly 50 times and the other was a scrimmage against Michigan. Beck has had three straight 300 yard games and is on pace to surpass SB IV's 2021 total by week 9, and this is despite being a first year starter with a new offensive coordinator and less talent around him on both sides of the ball.

The only reason why more programs aren't winning titles with dominant running games is everyone has abandoned that style of play. Had Florida, LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, FSU, Miami, USC or Texas hired Stoops and given him 4 and 5 star recruits instead of right now living with 3 star guys that the SEC and Big 10 powers don't really want much, I imagine that he would have won a title by now himself.

If you look outside the SEC, Auburn came as close in 2013 as Ohio State in 2022 with a QB who could barely throw. And Ohio State won in 2014 with their third string QB who - though did very wrong by Urban Meyer as was Ezekiel Elliott - was later benched. So what UGA was doing in 2017 and 2018 would absolutely work. The problem is that UGA needs to get back to giving their RBs more than 10 carries a game to recruit guys like Chubb, Michel and Swift. If you look at what is going on in the NFL now, they aren't giving RBs who get drafted in the middle rounds and work their way into the starting lineup big contracts anymore. NFL teams just use those guys for 2-3 years, discard them and replace them with someone else in free agency. The only way to make big money as a tailback is to enter the NFL as a 1st or 2nd round pick. So the elite RB recruits are going to head to the programs that still allow them to put up the numbers to do that.

• GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“I think when you start talking about national title hopes and putting it all on one player, that’s a little far-fetched,” Smart said last Wednesday.

“I just don’t think we won the ones we won just because of that position.”....BINGO, coach speak or not it is the truth of the matter. It boils down to every player on the TEAM....are they committed to improving their skill set weekly, are they committed to doing what ever it takes to win every contest every week, Sometimes player have to surrender self for the benefit of team/team mates....are you strong enough to do that, It takes players who have the strength to go back and do better when they've screwed up, it's players who are ready to be The Next Man up when adversity strikes, it takes players executing at an elite level on as many plays as they can, BUT the most important aspect of a National Championship TEAM.....coaches that know how to use the skills player bring to the game in a concerted effort to win, to overcome/counter every obstacle presented by the opposition......The 2023 edition of The Georgia Bull Dawgs has every component to win a third Natty, but most important, we have the coaching required to bring it to fruition.

• DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We're getting there, Beck is improving, the toughness is still there, previous injured players are getting their game legs. Brock for Heisman!! Go Dawgz sic'em.😎

SB time and time again in the clutch, in big games got it done.HIs best play was when the game was on the line late. THat is superb play by your QB. If I'm not mistaken he won the Offense MVP like 4 times. Superb play doesn't mean you had 100 yards passing per quarter. LOL!

Jake Fromm was a good QB for UGa he jst wasn't superb IMO, he didn't play big in the 2nd half of the NC game agaisnt BAMA. We score 10 points in the 2nd half including overtime. BAMA got 26. End of story.

7 of those 8 NC QB's I listed were 1st round draft picks. Some of youare dipping back into the archives to come up with game managers to try to prove a point. Now you can be a great QB on a spitty team like Caleb Williams, but even great defensive teams need superb QB play. You will never ever again see a 17-10 NC game again.

All I meant was CKS knows he has to have elite QB play to win a Natty. BUt he isn't going to put that pressure on CB by saying that. Thats all. And you know it's true.

But theres not a problem because we're getting that from CB. He may well go over 4000 yards passing. That's pretty superb to me.

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beck has done really well during the last 1.5 games. So long as the O-Line continues to protect him and open holes for the interior rushing game as well as it did Saturday, I anticipate great things for our Dawgs going forward.

Contrary to what some are saying, Beck has offensive talent around him comparable to last year—different talent, but comparable. He and Bobo just need to take advantage of that talent like they did against Kentucky.

THe first 27 plays against KY we threw 20 times. 20 passes to 7 runs. Bobo had been trying to keep it balanced coming into the KY game with 96 passes in the 1st half to 79 runs. He said to heck with it, we're throwing it! Ilove it! Caught KY by surprise! that then opened up the run game somewhat later in the game.

In the 3rd quarter of this year's games leading into KY, we started opening up the passing game and have averaged 13.6 yards per pass virtually doubling the average 1st half yardage of 7.4 yards per pass .

In the 3rd quarter of this years games leading into KY we have only averaged 1.9 yards per rush. Our average yards per carry in the 1st half has been 4.6 yards per carry.

Obviously there has been more success in the 3rd quarter passing game as we start throwing the ball down the fied a little more on deeper routes. Many 1st quarter throws were just of the 2 yard variety. Quick throw to the side.

In the 1st half our ratio of passing yards to run yardage has been roughly 2 to 1.

In the 3rd quarter it's been almost 8 to 1 passing to rushing!

• HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think a lot of Beck’s and the offense’s improved performance is due to a few things. One is his talent for sure; another is a healthier RB room and what it means to have Edwards and Milton running solid; another is the improved O line play - not sure what is behind that but it is noticeable for sure; and lastly, i believe he and his receivers/TEs are getting more aligned with each other. Thomas and Lovett are transfers that have had no time in this offense and from what I’ve read the run and shoot was basically 5 plays with simple tree routes as part of that, so getting them accustomed to this offense was big. It seems it is all coming together and they are gelling. Sure hope it continues because that was a great game plan and it was very nicely executed.

• BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 192 ✭✭✭ Junior

I was critical of Mike Bobo after the Auburn game but today I take my hat off to him. From now on I am confident he will lead our offensive “hunters” with aggressive play calling from the first series of the game with foot on launch control for a full sixty minutes. The vertical game will turbo charge the running game…

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

"Jake Fromm was a good QB for UGa he jst wasn't superb IMO, he didn't play big in the 2nd half of the NC game agaisnt BAMA. We score 10 points in the 2nd half including overtime. BAMA got 26. End of story." Wow. The illogic is strong in this one. I didn't know Fromm played defense. Let's not forget special teams either. Referee's reversed a UGA blocked punt because Simmons was "offsides". So does that mean a "not superb" Jake Fromm had a good chance to win a championship if the ref's had gotten the blocked punt call right and the DB's not blown coverage in OT?

The media is suggesting that CBeck may have to carry the O and the O will have to carry the team because the '23 D is far from superb. And CKS is correcting them to inform everybody that teams win championships.

• BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sony Michel was injured in the 2nd half of that Bama game. Simmons was not offsides. Every team that loses a close game can point to several calls that 'should've' gone their way. If you allow the game to come down to referees then you have to accept their results.

Leave no doubt is the only way to go into these games.

I saw my good buddy OSU friend and they still cannot get over the loss. It was pretty sweet though because I got to taste some high end Kentucky Bourbon 'Angels something'

Victory is sweet, excuses are bitter.

Just win and leave no doubt.

I'll be **** if yall don't sound like some Ohio St fans. WOulda coulda shoulda! Our defense didn't make Jake Fromm bounce a pass off a Bama D-lineman's helmet for an INT. DId they? Jake Fromm got small as the game got tighter. He was a really good QB for us. No shame in that. TUA got it done and Jake and the rest of the team didn't. I had relatives at halftime who are BAMA fans calling me and congratulating me on the UGA win. I didn't accept it, because even though we had an awesome defense, they were BAMA.

Fromm went 16-32 in passing with 2 Ints. In the 2nd half he was 4-6 with 42 yards in passing, including overtime. Whoever was calling the shots decided JF was a liability(game manager only) and didn't want him throwing it.

Y'all can call him superb if you wish. I'll just respectfully call him a really good QB. But he wasn't SB.