Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia offense without Brock Bowers should tell us a lot about Carson Beck, Mike Bobo

SystemSystem Posts: 10,533 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia offense without Brock Bowers should tell us a lot about Carson Beck, Mike Bobo

ATHENS — Brock Bowers is a lot of things for Georgia. Some would say that in addition to being the best player on the No. 1 ranked team, Bowers was also the best player in the country.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Anyone who follows football knows Bowers is a great player but I am amazed that most every media member acts as if the sky is falling in Athens now that Bowers is out. We're not 2021 Bama who built their entire passing game on Williams and Metchie and when they were injured, their 4&5 Start backups were not ready to play. Beck spreaded the ball around before Bowers was injured and he will continue now that Bowers is out. We actually do have other offensive weapons that are legitimate NFL caliber players. Bowers has 4 TD'S and the other receivers have 8. If Bowers had 8 and the other receivers had 4, then I'd be concerned. We'll be fine.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bowers is a great player, but he is one small part of a huge offense. This creates opportunity for others, which is why you come to UGA. Lots of people get snaps. Your 8 snaps just turned to 18 snaps a game. Hope they can step up.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 753 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A little creativity would be nice. How many times should DN repeat the same story? And everyone has heard the original press conferences!!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Warren Brinson is slowly becoming my favorite player. Funny....love the bowling video.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is getting stale.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Dawgs are throwing the ball 52.4% of the time. More than ever before. Delp is 6'5", 245lbs...the guy has already proven he can catch. I'm not worried about Beck or the offense, although having Milton back in the lineup consistently would make me feel better. On paper, Missouri, Ole Miss, GT, and TN all have better offensive numbers than any teams that we've played so far. Like Kirby said, our Red Zone defense is just plain bad. We've got to improve there.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Repeat post:

There have been at least 8 articles featuring Bowers' injury, yet there are 80-some kids on this team (all of whom have his back)... can we give it a rest? It will be, and has always been, the effort of every kid on this team that takes Georgia as far as it can go. Given his humble, team-oriented nature, I suspect even Brock would just as soon like to see the spotlight taken off of him and shown elsewhere while he works his tail off in rehab and roots his brothers on. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ Junior

Don't get me wrong, I love BB and think he is the best player in college football this year, but the offensive concepts as well as the other 10 people on the field executing are what allows BB to be himself. The weapons are there, even without BB in the lineup. If everyone plays at their best, we will barely notice the difference in successful offensive identity. And, all will be better players when BB returns, just in time for the playoffs. The offensive concepts are good, and so are the players. Execute for success.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with much of the Bowers is not the end of UGA football success, except Auburn. Bowers gave UGA that win. To me, initially, losing Bowers was like baking a lemon pie without the lemon. The leading ingredient. But now I can see others, such as Delp, putting some of the lemon back in. He can block and can run Bowers' routes, even as a decoy. That should throw defenders off while freeing up other receivers and even backs. No, Delp is not Bowers in speed or ability, but he is a good receiver and can gain UGA precious yards when needed.

Don't compare Bowers to losing Herschel Walker.....Herschel was a power back not a TE.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We support all of our Dawgz. SIC'EM.😎

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Neither the spread or the o/u has changed so far this week. Most people, including Vegas, think the whole Georgia football team is pretty good, except, Ms. Dinich.

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bowers has been the best player in college football since he first walked into Sanford Stadium.

• Options
    CLEDawgCLEDawg Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

Can we all remember that Delp was the #1 TE in his recruiting class for a reason. He's getting ready to be a monster. Obviously BB is a unique, generational talent, but Luckie was the #2 TE in last year's class and Spurlin was #5. With that extraordinary depth of talent, UGA is still TEU!

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

@KBP

Losing Bowers is not the same thing as losing Williams AND Metchie. Also the Tide still had the lead in the 4th quarter without them against our generational defense. So before you slam another team for barely losing a NC after they lost 2 first round caliber recievers let's see what our offense looks like first without Bowers. He just MIGHT have been the reason everybody else was open

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am HEARING YOU BRO!

Now back to reality. This team isn't built on any one guy. Look at BB stats against OSU. Yup, don't say I didn't come at you like that...you know I just did...own it...

When we go on from here and make your statement completely irrelevant please take a 3 month pause from posting. If I am proven to be wrong I will do the same.

Now own what you say. 3 month bet. You only have to be right once in the next 5 games. I have to be right 5 out of 5. own it. Own it.

We win all of the next 5. That's the bet. Own it and you don't post til the playoff.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree. As much as everybody is gonna miss seein' Bowers "truck" defenders & snag passes out of the air, one-handed, every Saturday....I don't expect a drop-off in Offensive production.

In fact...I expect the opposite. I look for Bobo to start bringing the Dawgs explosive passing game, on-line in JAX. Beck has had enough in-game reps to be efficient with whatever Bobo gives him. I think he showed that, vs. Kentucky, in the 2nd & 3rd qtr.. The

IMO...Kentucky game is a pretty good blueprint for the Florida game [National Stage]. Instead of Bowers leading the TE's...it'll be Delp and Lucky. Resoectively...the 2nd and 3rd best Tight Ends in the Nation...untill Bowers leaves for the NFL. Then they move up a notch to make room for the new #3 and #4 TE's. Lol

UGA has an embarrassment of riches that prevents critiquing them, using the traditional checkpoints and information applied to traditional football programs.

I've said it before...I'll say it again....this UGA Football Program is "different" than any version, like it in the past...[including Saban's Bama teams]. It's more like an NFL Franchise, with a much larger roster...and, depth & elite talent at every position...including place kicker.

• Options

Those numbers aren't against UGA's defense, though. I see a lot of interceptions & points in the Dawgs defensive future...against these teams that live & die by the "Pass".

IMO....After 7 games...their defense is solid on the back end and efficient, on the front end. And, deep, with talent, depth and crosstraining. They're ready for prime time and I can't wait to see em put it all together, in Jacksonville.

• Options
    edited October 2023

Lol...if you have to see, what we all know....you aren't very familiar with "these" UGA Bulldogs.

And, those 2 receivers went down, because Saban overused em throughout the year...just to get there. Without Young, Metchie and Williams....they would've lost 4 games, that year, including the Auburn game.

Both players, went down to "non-contact injuries", in the post season. Overuse during the season...equals weak legs in the postseason [according to Lane Kiffin]. Kiffin rested his receivers, when he was at Bama. Just sayin'..

Bama's defense couldn't "STOP" UGA's Offense and Stetson Bennett...and, therein lies the rub. It takes a whole team to win a Natty. Bama only had half a team and a disfunctional coaching staff, [for the last few years]...despite the hype and preseason fanfare blown up people's butts.. Lol

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We have to think of winning without Brock Bowers for the next 4 or 5 games. And the impact will be like the 80 season not having Herschel Walker for 4 or 5 games. Let's quit thinking about Bowers and start thinking about how to run the offense as effectively without him.

• Options

"And the impact will be like the 80 season not having Herschel Walker for 4 or 5 games. "______WCH

Gotta disagree with you, there. Losing Bowers in 2023, doesn't come close, to losing Herschel in 1980.

70% of UGA's offensive plays were "designed" around Walker's talent, as UGA ran out of a Power "I" and a hybrid VEER during that time frame. He either carried the ball, caught the ball or blocked for the QB and/or FB, on just about, every play. It was Herschel left, Herschel right and Herschel up the middle...on virtually "every play"...as the old saying went, Lol.

Lol Buck Belue, famously said, "I didn't do a whole lot, while i was there. My job was to get the ball to Herschel.".

Bowers doesn't have that kind of impact. IMO....Bowers going down, "may" effect on-field leadership...but, I highly doubt it. This is a much more advanced team, than the '80 Bulldogs. There are leaders and elite players, all over the field.

IMO....Delp and Lawson filling in for Bowers, is the equivalent of having Garrison Hearst and Knowshon Moreno backing up Herschel Walker. We're in good hands.