Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football: Which freshmen Bulldogs have already used up their redshirts at midseason?

SystemSystem Posts: 10,568 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football: Which freshmen Bulldogs have already used up their redshirts at midseason?

The Bulldogs are through their first seven games of the season. It is Florida week.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Best thing about Georgia. If you are good, you'll get snaps your freshman year. Growth over time. Better for UGA, better for the player - better for everyone. No need to wait until you're a junior to play. No need to waste the building blocks of experience.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    WR_Dawgs_Fan88WR_Dawgs_Fan88 Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

I'm confused when it comes to Cole Speer. From my understanding, you're only allowed to play in four games or less in order to redshirt for a season.

Well, the above list has Cole Speer playing in six games, but then it also states that Cole Speer used his redshirt for last season.

That number would HAVE TO be four games or less, correct?

Off the top of my head, I can recall seeing Cole Speer playing in a few games last season, but idk, if he actually played in six games.

Can someone help me clear this up, please?

• Options
    JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 8,583 admin

Good day @WR_Dawgs_Fan88 - That was simply an error in the chart. Thanks for pointing it out. It has now been updated to relfect the fact he did not receive a redshirt for last season.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

Saw and was thinking the same thing. The "6" could be a typo? I don't think UGA would've played Speer in 6 games last year and burn his RS. It wasn't that necessary that he play with the depth at WR.

I have been wondering why he has shown up recently w/some "mysterious" injury and ruled "out" of games. My 1st thought was Speer trying to preserve eligibility for a post season transfer. He hasn't had much of a role. Though WR recruits are few and far between in the last 2 recruiting classes. Expect another dip into the TP after the season if #84 doesn't come back.

Also I have now seen 2 recent article on Dawgnation (this one and one that quoted CKS yesterday) that made mention of the CB's. CKS mentioned 6 and 12 yesterday and this article mentioned 6, 12 and 4. No mention of NGreen in either article. Gotta believe he is also a TP casualty after this season.

@jdatl3 "Best thing about Georgia. If you are good, you'll get snaps your freshman year. " UGA will always have a young team for 2 reasons. First, UGA recruits so well and will recruit over previous recruiting classes, Older guys will TP out when they don't progress on the depth chart. The '22 cycle list above shows 5 examples of that. Second, UGA recruits high level guys many of which do not stay more than 3 years. The best UGA players typically don't stay 4 years. Makes recruiting well and playing freshman a necessity. We have actually started to see this trend reversed by NIL. UGA is recruiting more lower level recruits as the top level recruits take NIL and get spread around to more teams. Of the Top 20 players on Rivals, 13 different teams have commitments. UGA currently has 3 of the top 50 (8 Top 100) (Rivals) players committed. After Dylan Raiola the next 8 State of GA HS players have all committed elsewhere. The good news is that lower level recruits are more likely to stay, and continue to develop, longer than 3 years. I still remember the opener in '11 when Boise St, w/25(?) 5th yr players opened up a big can of whup @$$ on the young pups.

• Options
    UGADawgUGADawg Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior

“Per NCAA rules, if a player sees on-field action in four games of any season, then they cannot use a redshirt to gain an extra year of eligibility for that season.”

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe 4 games can still redshirt. It’s 5 or more where they cannot.