Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Column: Alabama delivers a most painful and avoidable end to historic Georgia streak

SystemSystem Posts: 10,458 admin
edited December 2023 in Article commenting
imageColumn: Alabama delivers a most painful and avoidable end to historic Georgia streak

ATLANTA — Kirby Smart and his staff were back in the office on Sunday morning, a painful film review in order.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The big question is "where are we now?". Are we in the final 4 or does the team collapse like it did against Texas in the Sugar Bowl?

• Options
    CharlestonDawgFanCharlestonDawgFan Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

I know many opportunities were missed. I still can’t get over the fact though that the 4th and 4 play wasn’t reviewed. That play could have easily been overturned, Alabama loses possession and at the very least does not have the 7 points from the touchdown. This play not only was pivotal to this game, but perhaps to UGA making it to the playoffs. Again, UGA lost this game from mistakes but can’t understand why some plays were reviewed and this one wasn’t. Either way, I’ll always be proud to be a Dawg!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith I can tell your really enjoying this. Yeah you’ll say “I’m just reporting the facts”. But I can almost see the gleam in your eyes Mike. But that’s OK YOUR Vols didn’t even get to sniff of an SECE Champion less alone a Natty. I take at least some solace that your orange people are Still going nowhere year after year. Now back to your salt rubbing. 🙄

• Options
    brinkmanmsbrinkmanms Posts: 84 ✭✭✭ Junior

"With the game on the line, UGA simply could not stop Milroe and the Alabama offense."

Removing the words "and the Alabama offense" makes that a true statement.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

They can’t beat Georgia without help from the refs. Anyone who votes this statement down, show me proof that they have.

I agree with WCH, how many will opt out and will the ones that do play lay down because we’re not in the playoffs.

And Mike, all of your negative comments about the team that can’t beat Georgia without help from the refs were put on their bulletin board. Don’t do stuff like that again.

• Options

Because Saban is Always, Always gonna get the benefit of Any and Every close calls. For two reasons 1) Because he Is Saban 2) Because if he doesn’t ( much like Spurrier) he’ll bellyache and whine to which ever Officiating Headquarters, and also in public. The man was Already lobbying for him and his team to be in the playoffs Before they even played our Dawgs. Remember a few years back the Phantom offsides that probably cost our Dawgs That game vs Bama. The official who made that call said AFTER he retired that if he could go back he probably wouldn’t have called it the same. How convenient for him that he was safely retired and thus didn’t have to face the wrath of Saban. 🙄

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

first off, Mike, I couldn’t agree more with this article.

secondly, we are not getting in. There’s too much whining and finger pointing.

thirdly, in this day and age of setting out bowl games and transfer portal stuff. The season is over

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 217 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2023

it really bugs me that Bama will likely get another ncaa championship when this bama team isn’t Championship level. they win bc of their coaches not bc of how talented the team is.

Give it up to Saban. He is Clearly the GOAT.

Mike, how the F is a 56% completion rate “efficient?” Milroe won on his legs not bc he can complete passes. He was short or long all night. It’s just that his receivers came up with it at the right time. One of your worst takes from a season of bad takes.

• Options

And what also shocks me is the number of “Dawgs Fans” who will chastise you or down vote you claiming your making excuses. Is it an excuse that if Reviewed and Over turned the 4th down “Catch” that only two plays later resulted in a TD for Bama could have been a Huge difference ??

And Then the Refs to rub salt in Did review a Much More obvious and realistic Catch by Arian Smith in the second half. In recent years the Phantom off sides that probably cost the Dawgs that game. Anyone that doesn’t realize Saban casts a huge shadow over officiating is simply naive.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey Mike, do you have an "All of the Above" choice on the key play question? Ha.

Resilient and proud. It just hurts more when it's against nemesis Saban who continues to dominate Dawgs' nightmares...

• Options

I will forever wonder what a Fully Healthy Dawgs team would have done vs a Fully Healthy Tide team. I think the results would have been drastically different. Bama came into the game missing only one Key player. Their primary RB.

Conversely just look at all the Dawgs missing. And Both Bowers and McConkey well under 100%. RaRa not in the game. Pop (JDJ) a vital defensive field general not in the game. Smael Mondon playing at less than 100%.

Asking Woodring to make a 50 FG when his Long on the year was 48. Yes Kirby did right by going for the FG, but I’m talking about all the “ Dawgs Fans” bashing on this kid for missing it.

Even with a Battered and Beat Up team the Refs saw fit to help Bama. Anyone that has the Opinion that’s just excuses are welcome to their opinions. But I should be free to make mine as well. Because of his legacy coupled with his near constant belly aching, whining, peeing and moaning Saban has created the ability to sway officiating Much Like Spurrier of the past. Main reason I tremendously dislike Both. I don’t H a t e anyone.

I’ll probably get off here and stay off here till the Bowl Game after today so let the cheering begin. P.S. I forgot Mims, the Same guy that created big holes for Edwards and Milton vs GT just recently. Losing him on the second series Hurt. But I know, I know that’s just an excuse. Right.

• Options

As a devout and long time Dawgs fan. I Am very proud of This Dawgs team. They broke all sorts of records. They played their hearts out. In My mind and heart it was All the injuries finally caught up to them.

The Most injuries in any one season of Kirby’s tenure as HC. In My heart and mind a Fully Healthy Dawgs team is better than a Fully Healthy Tide team. Going undefeated in the regular season is no small feat. Especially in the SEC.

Before Kirby Dawgs had went 40 years without a Ntl. Title. Kirby and his program gave Dawgs fans B2B and a current undefeated Regular Season. So as a Dawgs fan Yes I’m very Proud of that.

If anyone wants to let Saban steal away their pride in our Dawgs like he does games through officiating, well that’s your choice. I’m not a fair weather fan, I Love our Dawgs Win or Lose. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think we've reached the limits of Bobo's capabilities. His play calling had its moments, he needs to find more of them. Not sure he can.

The motion penalty was a killer. Took Woodring out of his comfort zone. He needs to extend his comfort zone in the future.

I still don't know why the pass that bama muffed wasn't reviewed. It was an easy call. It turned out to be a critical missed call that was huge for bama.

Overall, we continue to see lame officiating in the SEC. These games have national implications and it's time to fix it. Lawyers, bankers and insurance salesmen as part-time officials ain't cutting it.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tough loss, but I'm still proud of these young men. I'll be DAWG until I'm gone, win, or lose..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    edited December 2023

Blaming a loss on officiating is making excuses.

Go be an OSU fan if you’re gonna cry about injuries and refs.

that kind of mentality doesn’t win championships.

recognizing your own failures (and there were many) and improving on them is how you win championships

good lord I thought our fan base was better than this crap.

• Options
    edited December 2023

Just your opinion. I’m entitled to mine to. And if you didn’t see the Obvious bias then a trip to the optometrist might be in order for you And No I won’t be going to be a fan of any other team. Been a Dawgs fan the vast majority of my 66 years. Sounds like your a bit Naive when it comes to Saban and his shadow over officiating. Kind of like the Phantom offsides a few years back. But You probably missed that to…….

• Options

Linebackers seemed out of position a lot. Seemed lost at times. Just like the tech game.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“The winner of the SEC Championship Game has won the past four national titles, and if the CFP includes Alabama, there’s no reason to believe it will be different this season.”

@MikeGriffith

I believe Alabama gets in by virtue of their conference championship win in the strongest conference. UGA has a far more difficult path or no path at all. In an ironic twist, Alabama’s loss to Texas will hurt UGA’s chances for the playoffs more than it does Alabama’s. If Alabama defeats Texas back in September, UGA’s SECCG loss would be to undefeated Alabama. Texas would be a two loss conference champion on the outside looking in. It would be a repeat of 2021. As it stands now, I believe Texas and Alabama will get in and FSU will be left out as the ACC Champions. I guess we’ll know soon enough…..

• Options
    edited December 2023

I saw it all. But I know that champions don’t blame other people for their failures.

you don’t get ahead in life that way. You become Ryan Day.

i know the reffing was sh!t. You know what els was sh!t? Our play calling. Our LBs and our lines. Our lack of finding other targets.

what of those are fixable? I focus on that.

bad playing and bad officiating aren’t mutually exclusive like so many in this board act

you b!tch about Saban but there you are doing the same thing. Classless

• Options

Yep. At the end of the day we got out-coached. Linebackers out of position, **** run calls when we were gashing them with our passing all led to our demise. Kirby said we would come out in the second half aggressive, well, that aggression lasted for about one series and Bobo fell back into his predictable comfort zone.

We need bigger and faster talent in the lines and an OC that knows what aggressive means. That's my wish list.