Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Carson Beck confirms he’ll play in Orange Bowl, unsure about future beyond that

2»

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

On Beck, in my view he needs to come back one more year plain and simple. He only has One year as being THE Man under center for the NFL to consider. All the other snaps prior to that as a backup don’t hold near as much value. In those efforts all he was tasked with doing was preserving a win.

He never Had to come in because of injury that I can remember. If he did ( my memory ain’t what it used to be) it was only for one or two series, please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

NFL will want as much film as possible to see how he operates while carrying Responsibility on his shoulders. And in my humble opinion, One year is not sufficient for them to draft him way high and dole out millions upon millions of $$$.

That’s Not wishful thinking on my part Against Beck. I just think it’s Realistic thinking. Come back, have a Stellar year, Then go and command much more $$$ Just my thoughts. But like Raiola he’s got to do what HE thinks is best it’s his life to live.

But like Raiola he sure better Stop and Think, if it were Me I would Surely include Prayer in that life changing decision !!

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

Beck will probably return for next year. If he entered this year's NFL draft the earliest he would go would be the second round. He has more to gain by playing at UGA next year than going pro. Raiola is a different story. He seems to be an opportunist, so wherever he goes he could easily be a portal guy for a couple of years and then if he is any good goes pro. We still should be in pretty good shape regardless and field a decent team next year, maybe not as loaded as the last three years with leadership, but good nevertheless. There are more opportunities for guys to get playing time being a younger team. Next year will be very interesting with the SEC change up and the mayhem of the portal.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

I said..."Nobody heard of [those guys]....outside of Georgia."

You need to start reading the whole post before you dive bomb somebody. Reading is fundamental. No wonder you've been half wrong about everything. Lol

Of course...recruiters, coaches and media have heard of those guys. It's their job. I was talking about the fans that don't keep up with UGA...or Recruiting.

Cook is the the only name, that I heard mentioned in Nation Sports coverage Because of his Brother...Dalvin....not, because of his play.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The 17 who've entered the portal haven't opted out of orange bowl?

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UGADad20

Yeh, I am high on DR and I have stated so. Hurts to lose the kid, but the good thing is looks like he's headed to Nebraksa instead of BAMA or some other SEC team. Prettiest, most effortless release for sure and he does exhibit great composure. ANd he doesn't have to have his feet set, as you said. In fact, he from film I've seen sometimes doesn't even set his feet when he's in the pocket with no rush.

HIs demeanor on the field reminds me of the first time watching Jalen Hurts play at BAMA as a Freshman. Like he never looked flustered or shaken and as you said , the game was moving in slow motion for him. Even when scrambling and being chased out of bounds he always looked like he wasn't even breathing hard.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

EVERYBODY heard of BBs in '21. Anybody who follows recruiting heard of JCook and TWalker before '21. "Nobody heard of"? You mean the average CFB fan? Right. The average CFB doesn't really know **** from shinola about CFB. Which explains why you didn't know about those guys.

Please tell me all the things I've been wrong about, Mr "Marcus Washington is gonna be Kobe Bryant". Mr "SBIV is gonna win the Heisman and be a 1st Rd draft choice".

• Options
    edited December 2023

"Great composure". That is the best description of DR. Very polished QB w/all the physical tools you could want. Every play looked like a practice rep. And that was against GHSA 7A competition.

Tough to lose a great prospect so late. Kept UGA from recruiting another highly ranked prospect. It is what it is. The TP makes a quick fix possible at pretty much any position. There will be another TP window after Spring games if UGA needs to add another QB.

Teams like MS are killing it in the TP. Kiffin is managing the MS team like it is an NFL team. Have to wonder how that is going over with the players already there. IDK if you can pay EVERY (85) player. Logic dictates that there is only so much money and so many players you can pay. Teams may only be able to pay a handful of top players. Does that create a high tide of the next level of talent that raises all boats as those players spread out looking for a payday? Seems so.

Will make it more difficult for UGA (or any team) to stockpile talent like AL was able to do during its dynasty period.

• Options
    edited December 2023

Either, you aren't very sharp and have problems retaining information....or, you are deliberately misquoting me, trying to get a rise. If it 's the latter...you're messin' with the wrong one. If it's the former...I'm gonna break it down for you one more time.

Just cause, it ain't our first time doin this '"UGADad20 Don't get it" dance. And, good news!! I found a way to get through to you.

I'm going to repost my comment below and highlight in bold the pertinent information so that you might digest it, with my thoughts in mind....not yours.

BTW....We [Players & media] heard of Herschel Walker from li'l ole Wrightsville, long before he ever got to Athens. But we had no idea, his athleticism would translate to the SEC gridiron, that fast and that effectively.

Herschel was just as dominating on the CFB Field as he was in HS...from his 1st carry to his USFL Contract signing.

Nobody saw that coming. NOBODY, including the UGA coaching staff. The same can be said for Bowers. They may have secretly "hoped"...but, there's just no way to know for sure. Til you hand him the ball, in Knoxville. I don't think he liked Tennessee or Bill Bates very much. Lol

You are welcome to go back and revisit the comments around the league in...'19, '20...early '21....and the '78, '79 & '80...Savannah Morning News and AJC. Or just talk to some of the former players, coaches and people close to "The Program". They'll tell ya the same thing, though opinions vary some, in that area....that was the word.

Relevant info in BOLD on previous post>>>>>>>

[[[ I said..."Nobody heard of [those guys]....outside of Georgia."

You need to start reading the whole post before you dive bomb somebody. Reading is fundamental. No wonder you've been half wrong about everything. Lol

Of course...recruiters, coaches and media have heard of those guys. It's their job. I was talking about the fans that don't keep up with UGA...or Recruiting.

Cook is the the only name, that I heard mentioned in Nation Sports coverage Because of his Brother...Dalvin....not, because of his play. ]]]

• Options

And. BTW...I never said Washington was gonna be Kobe Bryant. You're the one that made comparrisons and I said he COULD BE a "KOBE BRYANT OUT OF HS FOR ALL WE KNOW". It's been done.

YOU...said... that players coming out of High School at an earlier age and reclassifying one class back, [like JT Daniels]...weren't ready for SEC Football. That was just one of your many faux pa's . Lol

And, I was a helluva lot closer to projecting Bennett's final tally than you were....so, I don't see why you would bring that up.

Lol...you didn't even think Stet would make the Heisman Top-10...and thought he would be drafted in the 6th or 7th round...if not declare UDFA Staus and tryout as a preferred invite to one of the desperate NFL Teams.

• Options

[[ IDK if you can pay EVERY (85) player. Logic dictates that there is only so much money and so many players you can pay. Teams may only be able to pay a handful of top players. Does that create a high tide of the next level of talent that raises all boats as those players spread out looking for a payday? Seems so. ]]_____ugadad20

If you "pay every player"...you have to include everyone...not just the guys on the field. A lot goes into maintaining a CFB Program, the size of these Power 5 Teams.

I think they should pay all the volunteers that are depended on to make GameDay a memorable experience for Fans and Players, alike. If they're gonna pay one...pay em all for the grueling work of being an entertainment vehicle for the masses.

Or...they could just go back to playing football and going to school. I think they should open the NFL Doors to some of these kids coming out of HS, that think they're "All That!" and can produce at a high level without development. Let em take their chances in the pros, if that's what they want.

And, if that's what some of the Fans want....they can watch the NFL. I'm long past holding Athletes up as some kind of hero to be worshipped [about 50 years past]...though, there have been several actual "Heroes" to play the game.

"Equity" or "Equality"....which is it that our society wants to embrace.

Equity guarantees everybody gets an equal piece of the pie, regardless of their contribution or production.

Equality means that everyone is given an equal opportunity at getting as much of that pie, as they can get...determined by their contribution and work ethics.

BTW...talkin' about James Cook earlier...I just found out...he had 180 yds on 25 carries, with 2 receptions for 42 yds and 1 TD yesterday. That's the kind of back he was, for the Dawgs. I think Bell might be "that guy" for Bobo, going forward.

Can't wait to see B-Rob and Bell lighting it up with "Thunder & Lightning", next year. Wonder what they're gonna get paid?....NOT!. Even those guys....if they think they're NFL-ready...go get paid. If not....stay and learn something at UGA. That's the way I see it.

• Options

"Will make it more difficult for UGA (or any team) to stockpile talent like AL was able to do during its dynasty period."_______ugadad20

You've never spoken truer words. Gotta give credit where it's due. Lol

• Options
    edited December 2023

There you go with your version of "truth" again. Your story always changes after the fact.

"he COULD BE a "KOBE BRYANT OUT OF HS FOR ALL WE KNOW". There's your admission. You went on and on about about a guy being a possible generational player. They call them "generational" for a reason. It was never going to happen and the player didn't make 2 years with the team. To even suggest it is ridiculous. And you did it again. Saying all these young players can be BB's or TWalker. BB's is the best UGA player in 40 years. TWalker was the #1 overall NFL pick. The 1st UGA #1 overall pick in almost 70 years if you exclude QB Stafford in '09. 70 YEARS let that sink in. But in your imaginary world these guys roll into Athens every year.

Never said SBIV would not be top 10 Heisman. Just that he wouldn't win it like you said. It was never gonna happen. Never. The main reason he was included as an unprecedented 4th finalist invitee was the SBIV story. SBIV was rated 6th or 7th rd (or worse) before the '22 season by everyone associated with draft forecasting and the NFL. It was the consensus from everyone that knew anything. He improved and moved up in the draft. You would hope he would after 6 years of CFB. You also predicted 1) SBIV is better than Bryce Young 2) SBIV would have a great NFL career. Yet BY was the #1 overall pick and SBIV's career is hanging by a precarious thread after not playing in a single game this year.

Just stop. Use your head.

"If you "pay every player"...you have to include everyone.." That is another point you missed. You CAN'T pay everyone. The school does NOT pay the players. The collective pays the players. The collective or sponsors do NOT get TV revenue. It all comes out of donations or their bottom line. There is not enough money donated or budgeted to pay every player a substantial amount of money. If you paid 40 players "only $250K" that would be a $10M obligation. Every year. Where is that money coming from?

" B-Rob and Bell lighting it up with "Thunder & Lightning". There you go again. It just never stops. You can't help yourself. BRob is coming off a serious injury that will probably cost him a step. An extra step he didn't have in the 1st place. BRob is a guy I don't see finishing his career at UGA. If ETN comes and Frazier pans out he may be in the TP in the spring. BRob's ceiling at UGA is DEdwards. Bell is a WR not a RB. ESPECIALLY if UGA adds a 7th (!) RB (ETN) from the TP. He only played RB due to injuries. He may get some occasional work there but it won't be as much at 3 or 4 other players. His biggest value is at WR. I know I know in your mind Bell is Garrison Hearst.

• Options
    edited December 2023

I didn' say..."all of em" with your half-assed quotes.

Lol....I...said

Any...one...of...them...could...be...special...or....generational

You....won't...know...for...sure...till...you've...had...a.....chance....to....work...with...them...on....campus.

They....ALL...aren't...equally...coached....and....developed...at....the...HS.....Level.

Hence...players like Bennett and McConkey and T. Walker and J Davis and Bowers

Yes...even Bowers was a question mark, until Monkin and Smart saw him workout in his 1st Padded Spring Paractice.

That should've broken it down where you can pick it, without adding our deleting words and thoughts.

Now....you can disagree with me, if you want. But, "my truth" is backed with actual facts and data. What have you got, besides opinion?

Division 1 CFB, at the Power 5 Level, particularly,, has become an entertainment business. In the entertainment business...everybody gets paid...even the "no-shows". So...if you pay one...you pay em all or risk a strike. That's where CFB is headed. It's a matter of time before they put heads together and unite.

A CFBPA Union is coming, unless something is proactively done to short circuit that possibility.

"$250K" that would be a $10M obligation. Every year. Where is that money coming from?"____@UGADad20 .....

I wouldn't pay em that...and, neither will anybody else. Not for long. Supply and Demand and free market capitalism will arrest this nonsense sooner or later.

People are gonna get a taste if paying a player big bucks...him getting injured and out for the season [like B-Rob]...then, never producing at the elite level again [not like B-Rob]...or kids takin' the money and runnin'...or, worse, loafing.

At the end of the day...most of em are immature kids tryin' to get a nut. That's all. And, some will run the normal kid scams to get away with stuff.

The possibilities are endless for Student Athletes [Kids], Attorneys and Agents....and Coaches...as long as there are "no guardrails" or Salary Caps. Now...there's unlimited transfers, on the menu?. C'mon...their throwing away stability with both hands and a bucket.

As for Bennett....You most certainly did say Bennett wouldn't be in the Top Ten. When I projected it in mid to late season ...of 2021....You laughed. I told you why he would be a top candidate for Heisman...and again...you laughed.

[#3 in Heisman voting]...Which one of us got the last laugh.

Lol...it is what it is, G-Dad. Don't take it so seriously.