Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Basketball hire

BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Reports circulating that CTC has hired a young, aggressive coach with ties to the Atlanta area who is also African American. But it's not Jonas Hayes, but South Florida assistant coach Chad Dollar.

While this looks like a good hire, what does this mean for Jonas Hayes, given the premature news of Jonas's impending hire last week and the fact that CTC would now only have 1 more opening to fill?

Any intel, @JeffSentell, @sethemerson, or @Chip_Towers?

Comments

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess this recruiting period is Jonas’ tryout period? The longer he waits on Jonas the more it seems he may not be retained. Just my opinion of course.

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

CTC has 2 more spots with Dollar on staff. Either Jonas gets one of the 2 spots left or not, is the question at hand.

• Options
    joe_rush45joe_rush45 Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited April 2018

Was the “African American” info NEEDED in this update?

• Options

@joe_rush45 said:
    Was the “African American” info NEEDED in this update?

No offense was intended. Just drawing a parallel with Jonas to set up that the first hire wasn't who we expected.

• Options

According to Marc Weiszer of ABH yesterday:

Jonas Hayes, the former Georgia player and assistant under Mark Fox, could still join Crean’s staff.

Crean said in a radio interview on Wednesday afternoon that Hayes is considering an offer to stay at Georgia but has other options.

“He’s with me right now, and he’s been fantastic,” Crean told “Press Row,” on Chattanooga’s ESPN 105.1 FM. “We’ve definitely got a lucrative proposal out there for him to stay. It’s all moved so fast for me, and it’s moved fast for him, and I get that, because when you’re good like that, you’re going to have other opportunities, which he has.

“I really would like him to stay at Georgia, and I’m prepared either way, but I would like him to stay and be with us. I think he’s got an investment in these guys in helping build this up. He played here and is a graduate of here, and I would like to have him stay, but the bottom line is that he’s got to make that choice. We certainly want him here, and we’ve made that clear.”

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BullyDawg said:
    According to Marc Weiszer of ABH yesterday:

Jonas Hayes, the former Georgia player and assistant under Mark Fox, could still join Crean’s staff.

Crean said in a radio interview on Wednesday afternoon that Hayes is considering an offer to stay at Georgia but has other options.

“He’s with me right now, and he’s been fantastic,” Crean told “Press Row,” on Chattanooga’s ESPN 105.1 FM. “We’ve definitely got a lucrative proposal out there for him to stay. It’s all moved so fast for me, and it’s moved fast for him, and I get that, because when you’re good like that, you’re going to have other opportunities, which he has.

“I really would like him to stay at Georgia, and I’m prepared either way, but I would like him to stay and be with us. I think he’s got an investment in these guys in helping build this up. He played here and is a graduate of here, and I would like to have him stay, but the bottom line is that he’s got to make that choice. We certainly want him here, and we’ve made that clear.”

I'm wondering what kinds of offers Jonas has. HC offers at a mid-major? HC offers at a smaller school? AC at some major program. It's not clear what kind of package CTC has offered him but it sounds like a pretty good one.

• Options

@donm said:

I'm wondering what kinds of offers Jonas has. HC offers at a mid-major? HC offers at a smaller school? AC at some major program. It's not clear what kind of package CTC has offered him but it sounds like a pretty good one.

Wondered same thing. I assume AC at a major. Could also be HC at a smaller school. I'd be surprised if it's HC at a mid-major. His best shot at that appeared to be Western Carolina (his original alma mater), but they hired someone else about 2 weeks ago (Mark Prosser, Skip Prosser's son).

I really want Jonas to stay, and I hope he gets a big raise. One good sign: if CTC trusts him enough to take him on road to recruit our biggest studs, that says something of CTC's trust and faith in Jonas. ...and in Jonas's staying...
    #DGD

• Options
    sethemersonsethemerson Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Jonas Hayes has an offer to remain on staff with Tom Crean, as stated above, but he's weighing that against other possible opportunities, from what I've heard. A lot of people assumed that if Crean wanted to retain Hayes then that would be it, but Hayes has been exploring other options. If he gets the right firm offer from another Power 5 school, he may well take it.

I've been told there could be clarity on this by the end of the week, but we'll see.