Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Jonas Hayes

CJ_DawgCJ_Dawg Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

So what's going on with Jonas Hayes? After the flurry of info last Friday everything has gone quiet. He's the only assistant currently listed for UGA Basketball. http://georgiadogs.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball that must mean something. Right? Is this a matter of sussing out numbers or is he interviewing for positions at other schools? Interviewing for head coaching positions can be a valuable experience so I understand if he's investigating those opportunities.

Comments

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ctc said they brought he back. Don’t know about others yet.

• Options
    Jinx55Jinx55 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think everybody is still wondering about that. Emerson mentioned the news being premature. I know he is under contract through the summer so some felt there was no rush, but haven't heard anything of late.

Hopefully, they are keeping recruits in the loop about him coming back. We need him to maintain some of our in-state relationships. Unless Crean can provide somebody that provides a similar situation.

• Options
    DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jonas is one of the greatest two hoop Dawgs ever.

I'm a hoops fan, not a coach. I don't think I should tell Coach Crean who he needs to hire.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You might be thinking about his twin brother Jarvis, who was a better player. Jonas was a good role player, but not the star his brother was.

• Options
    DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2018

@coastaldawg -- you're on it, Jarvis is one of my two favorite hoop Dawgs. Thanks for the subtle reminder. Some folks on this board look for any opening they find to rub your nose in a mistake lol.

My bigger point is that I'm not qualified to flesh out Crean's coaching hires.

I look forward to many years of fantastic hoops. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree with you about Jarvis being one of our top all-time players, @DirtDawg . If we had someone who could shoot like him this year, CMF would probably still his job. Like you, I don't know enough about what CTC wants in an assistant to say who he should hire as assistant coaches. Just like we did with Kirby, we need to let him select the staff he wants.

• Options

So Chad Dollar is one of the new assistants. Still no word on the status of Jonas Hayes. I figured there would at least be gossip.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Taking anything away from Georgia Tech is a good thing, right? Even though Chad Dollar hasn't been there in a while, the HOOPDAWGS with their new HC Tom Crean taking away the statewide limelight & placing it into Athens at the Steg will be awesome!

• Options
    andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not sure Tech has had anything of value since Bobby Ross.

• Options
  • Options

@CJ_Dawg thanks for the article.

Glad to see he has been offered regardless of the outcome. But pairing him and Dollar would be huge and definitely allow us to recruit the heck out of the state with both those guys ties to Atlanta

• Options
    sethemersonsethemerson Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

As I said when that report came out last Friday about Hayes being retained, it was premature. Crean has offered Hayes a chance to stay, but Hayes hasn't accepted yet, and is weighing other possibilities.

• Options
    sigmtndawgsigmtndawg Posts: 15 ✭✭ Sophomore

@Jinx55 said:
    @CJ_Dawg thanks for the article.

Glad to see he has been offered regardless of the outcome. But pairing him and Dollar would be huge and definitely allow us to recruit the heck out of the state with both those guys ties to Atlanta

I agree. I'm glad we're making the effort to keep Hayes. I also agree that Hayes and Dollar recruiting the state would be a big boost ov

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DirtDawg said:

I'm a hoops fan, not a coach. I don't think I should tell Coach Crean who he needs to hire.

Dominique Wilkins, Vern Fleming, Alec Kessler, then maybe you could argue Jarvis ahead of Littrell Green and K. Caldwell Pope.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@sethemerson said:
    As I said when that report came out last Friday about Hayes being retained, it was premature. Crean has offered Hayes a chance to stay, but Hayes hasn't accepted yet, and is weighing other possibilities.

Does it seem to anyone else that it's taking a long time for Jonas to accept or decline the offer? This isn't likely good news, is it?

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@sethemerson said:

Does it seem to anyone else that it's taking a long time for Jonas to accept or decline the offer? This isn't likely good news, is it?

Agreed. If he were weighing an offer to be a HC at a smaller school then you'd have to think the other school would have forced a decision by now. He must be weighing an offer from a true basketball school as an assistant, or maybe more money from someone else. Maybe he wants more guarantees in the contract but McGarrity is the problem.

• Options

Does anybody know when his current contract is up?? I heard the summer but wasn't sure.

Also, I know Dollar and Crean were out on the recruiting trail talking to a 3 star from the 18 class and a 4 star from the 19 class, but wasn't sure if Jonas was seen recently with Crean at all??

• Options

Apparently folks are saying he is heading to Xavier as an assistant. We will see when this is announced but apparently he wanted a chance to show folks he wasn't just a product of UGA alone and has the ability to bring the same coaching recruiting to a basketball school.

With a new coach at Xavier this will be interesting for sure.

• Options
    CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

@DirtDawg said:

Not even close to top two best bulldogs ever to play basketball. Come on.