Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

New Year's Acute Dunlap Disease Treatment

Comments

• Options
    ChopperChopper Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hear you on the gas thing with the sweeteners. I found those Genius Gourmet Keto bars at Costco last year and the peanut butter ones (peanut butter is my kryptonite) taste amazing...BUT...the sweetener that they use is like eating a CO2 cartridge. I can have one/day and only one. If you want some alone time eat 2 or 3...30/40 minutes later anyone in the room with you will have left. Do not be near any open flames.

• Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just for fun, I looked up the ingredients.

Keto Vegetable Fat Blend (Palm Kernel Oil, Palm Oil, Shea Oil, Peanut Oil), Protein Blend (Micellar Casein, Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Concentrate, Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate), Peanut Butter, Polydextrose, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Partially Defatted Peanut Flour, Peanuts, Erythritol, Monoglycerides, Sunflower Lecithin, Cocoa Powder, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Natural Flavors, Almonds, Sea Salt, Sucralose (Non-Nutritive Sweetener), Tocopherols.

Look at all the seed oils! On the Micellar Casein, "Despite their similarities, your body digests and absorbs casein at a much slower rate than whey.

According to older research, this is because the acidic environment in your stomach causes casein to clot or form a gel. As such, it takes your body nearly twice as long to digest and absorb the same amount of casein as it does whey." There's also a good chance that the casein contains soy.

Sucralose....yikes, 600x sweeter than sugar. It screws up the balance between good/bad gut bacteria. Definitely part of the gas.

The thing that's annoying is that keto, in and of itself, isn't a bad way to eat for some folks. But like all good things, it gets exploited and there are a million products on the shelf with a "keto" label that are cost-prohibitive and since they exist on a shelf, they contain things that are not good for humans.

• Options
    ChopperChopper Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So it is essentially full of trash. Not surprised.

I happened to listen to the Rogan podcast with Will and Jenni Harris this morning at the gym. He's a UGA grad and was talking a lot about the sustainable farming and ranch they do down in Bluffton and how it compares to the corporate farming methods. Pretty eye opening. I think there is a lot of crap in our food.

• Options
    donniemdonniem Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Funny ain'ti it. We "discover" what was known centuries ago. smh

• Options

Very few people, including me, eat perfectly clean all the time. But intentional steps to remove the trash can make a huge difference in how you feel physically and mentally.

If you want to try a different snack, give the Kirkland Organic dried mangos a shot. They have one ingredient...mangos. They are sweet, chewy, and are absolutely full of nutrients. Just 1 cup (165 grams) of fresh mango provides nearly 67% of the DV for vitamin C. They are also full of antioxidants. Natural sugar > artificial sugar but if you eat these with some protein, you can minimize a spike in blood sugar. They also contain carotenoids which, when combined with the Vit C, may limit the onset of diabetes.

Or, try the Chomps beef sticks. "They come from Cape Grim ranchers in Tasmania. This region of Australia contains lush, uncultivated grasses ideal for raising cattle without chemical interventions. Cape Grim cattle roam freely and live low-stress lives. Their beef is considered some of the highest quality, healthiest red meat globally." Just 5 ingredients;grass-fed beef, sea salt, black pepper, garlic, and onion.

Corporate farming delivers almost no nutritional value in the meat. I'm a big supporter of sustainable farming. I don't think it's a mistake that all the trash in our food and food systems have made Americans incredibly unhealthy....and then big pharma stands by with all their profitable meds to treat sick people. And the worst of it are the pantheons of modern American cities, huge cancer centers.

This story came out a few years ago but also eye-opening....comparing McDonald's fries in the US vs the UK.

In the US: Potatoes, Vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil,soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavour), Dextrose, Sodium acid, Pyrophoshate, Salt. Fried in vegetable oil blend with citric acid, and dimethylpolysiloxane).

In the UK: Potatoes, vegetable oil (sunflower, rapeseed). Dextrose. Fried in non-hydrogenated vegetable oil. Salt is added after cooking.

• Options
    SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I started the "Whole 30" weight reduction plan on January the 6th, so I am 19 days in, right?

Nope, wrong answer! I am 6 days into the process, because as usual, I have trouble with the fine print and rules that I am not aware of!

If you want to lose weight, friends, family get together and your sense of humor, all in a couple of days, this is the plan for you! I didn't realize that there are zero cheat days and zero forgiveness if you stray off their course of action. You go back to the beginning and you don't collect $200, because this is not a game, but it really works!

They tell you up front - it's an intense, 30-day dietary detox that requires you to hyper-focus on whole, minimally-processed, easy-to-digest foods. You can’t have sugar, alcohol, grains, beans, soy, processed snack foods, or additives while on the plan. Gulp.

I still workout, bad knees from my playing days, and I have seen a marked improvement in my results! When you are angry, mad and frustrated all at the same time, it provides you with more Tackling fuel!

However, it works and so far, I have lost 11 pounds of the 26 I would like to see go down the toilet!

It is called by so many different names; Dunlop, flesh toned fanny pack, groin shade, suspender limiters and yes, even FUPA! I would like it to be gone, so I can wear my speedo without getting arrested and not constantly being referred to as the older grown-up version of Chris Farley!

• Options
    GradyDawg85GradyDawg85 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Will Harris IS a DGD. What he and the “radically traditional farming” approach he follows at White Oak Pastures is doing for people’s health, pallet, and that area economically and environmentally is amazing. You won’t find healthier, better tasting meat products anywhere. He’d be a hell of a commencement speaker, too.

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

They are pretty high on my list. Other than being a bit "caloric" there is lots to recommend them, IMO.

• Options

Love avocados and I use avocado oil instead of corn or vegetable oil. It does heat quickly and can burn easily. It's not always possible but I try to buy as close to the original source as I can.

I have read that it can be problematic for people with type O blood but it's not like it was a study or something so I don't know if that's legit or not.

• Options

This is a simple straight-forward article on seed oils and how they became such a regular part of the American diet. Pretty scary TBH.

There's a graphic at the end that shows you which seed oils are the worst and which ones are mostly okay.

• Options
    BumBum Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@wpony714 gets it. Good info sharing thanks. My wife would love this thread. She keeps me clean.

• Options
    dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting and quick read. Cottonseed oil in the form of Robathol (combined with a trace of a detergent to make it miscible in water) was a standard recommendation of mine for my eczema and dry skin patients. Sadly, it was recently discontinued. It was an excellent moisturizer.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,738 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If your insurance covers it, get Wegovy. I lost 30lbs on it and am back to my Marine Corps fighting weight. My mom has lost almost 100lbs on it. It is practically a miracle drug.

• Options

math even simple enough for me to understand. Calories in less than calories burned More miles walked = more been you can drink w/o gaining weight. it may not be accurate but sure sounds good.

• Options

Yes, that seems to be the issue with semaglutides, rarely sustainable long-term. So far, there aren't enough studies to determine long-term side effects and just a few studies focused on what happens when the medication stops.

The 2 biggest post-semaglutide impacts are weight gain and blood sugar. The majority of the weight lost is re-gained and blood sugar levels go back to where they were pre-medication.

I think what a lot of non-diabetic patients on this medication are missing is that while patients are told it's an appetite suppressant and they can eat anything, overall health success is only going to happen if lifestyle is addressed. Diet and exercise still matter.

I live in Orange County. I walk the beaches. The most common side effect I see is what people call "Ozempic face". These women lose the pounds and gain the face wrinkles. Not a good look.