Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirk Herbstreit allegedly encouraged Dylan Raiola to flip to Nebraska

124»

Comments

• Options
    WestAshleyDawgWestAshleyDawg Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

Wasn't Raiola the #1 QB prospect not long ago? Slipping in the rankings this late in the game isn't a good look.

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

Nebraska needs all of the help that it can get. Our “quiver” if full. That’s why we recruit a large number of players.

• Options
    jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kinda glad the young man chose to go elsewhere. Wasn't that impressed with his Sr year in Ga

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 382 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The only thing more painful than listening to “Herbie” is listening to him and Chris Fowler at the same time. So painful. Very thankful for the mute button.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I honestly don't care about where Raiola is or might wind up; but I AM enjoying the blowback Herbsxxit is getting as a result of his unscrupulous meddling. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He’s still sore about his osu team getting beat by a Ray Goff coached Georgia team in the citrus bowl and how Georgia beat his school in the playoffs at midnight. He doesn’t care about Nebraska. He just doesn’t like Georgia. He should stick to broadcasting and stay out of recruiting unless he wants to do guest appearances on national signing day telecasts. What a joke.

• Options
    YankeeDawg64YankeeDawg64 Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

Once beck stayed, I kinda figured he'd go somewhere, where he can start. Coach wasn't going to bench beck for him this up and coming. Like Kirby says: Don't say sh**

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 8

You have to wonder if this is true... really want to hear the "the other end of the phone line" on this one, as I can't imagine KH and/or ESPN just letting this hang out there unless it is indeed 100% true 🧐

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/calls-mount-for-espn-to-discipline-kirk-herbstreit-over-unethical-recruiting-influence

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirk Street Herb clears up all the speculation on Finebaum.....all he told DR's dad was that Matt Rhule was a good coach.....seems like he could have gotten the more complete skinny from his brother who is on staff at Huskerville??? So it begs the question for the tin foil hat crowd....did coach Rhule threaten DR's uncle......get DR to come to Huskerville or look for another job?????? Did DR take one for the family???? Did DR's dad place the blame on Street Herb cause he couldn't take the pressure???? For sure, DR is breathing a sigh of relief knowing his first 7 games are against cupcakes.....depending on how you view Coach Prime and the Bovines, the comes a sure arse-kicking when the Husker-dos go to the Shoe and face Cryin "Just For Men" Day and the Bucknuts, next comes the West Coast Wannabes UCLA & USC, then Wisconsin & Iowa....lookin tough in the back end for ole DR......GOOOO Dawgs!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm with you, @Kudzu . I know a lot of Dawg fans have (perhaps legitimate) issues with Herbstreit, but I have a hard time believing that he would actually say the things Raiola's dad says he said. MIght he have said that Ruhle is a good coach or even a "special" coach? Sure, I can believe that. But to go so far as to outright tell or urge the kid to flip his commitment, I just don't quite believe that. As you said, it would be great to have been on that phone call to hear what was actually said, and how it was said.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 382 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Somebody’s isn’t being honest. Obviously DR’s dad has serious issues in moving the kid around during his high school playing days. Plus a kid who plays for four different high schools in three different states and backs out of two “commitments” to two of the best programs in the country and ends up going to a pretty weak program is seriously confused and possibly unstable. IF his dad lied about what Herbie said, it shows a lack of character in the dad and might explain why the kid has issues of his own.

Having said all that, Herbie has no business influencing any recruit. Obviously he said something that had some influence in this mess.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ask yourselves this question...."Why would Herbstreit even feel the need...to call a guy he doesn't know and has no prior connection to....about a school he has no ties with?".......To tell him Matt Rhule is a good coach?

IMO....There's more to it than Herbstreit's owning-up to....and, "maybe" a little less than Raiola's Dad's assertions.

That being said....As a representative and employee of the premier Sports reporting venue in the world and CFB's major Conference television contract holders....He was the recipient of "insider information" [ESPN Recruiting Services]. Herbstreit had no business making that kind of "familiar contact", putting himself in a compromised position....whether he's "guilty" or not.

Not much different....or, less culpable...than insider trading on Wallstreet. The only difference is...Wallstreet has actual rules and an enforcement body....CFB?...Not so much. Wallstreet has the Securities Exchange Commission [SEC] to keep a level playing field.....CFB "had" the NCAA. Now?...I guess nothing is out of bounds in CFB. LOL