Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

So, Yet Another Discussion On Cutting The Satellite/Cable Cord...

13»

Comments

• Options
    JPBJPB Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

I read that the NFL is showing one of next week’s playoff games on Peacock (I think). I’m not smart on all this streaming stuff…just seems to me the long trend is niche services we’ll end up paying for separately in addition to whatever streaming platform we purchase.

• Options
    AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Quoting Steve Martin from the movie “The Jerk”, “oh, it’s a profit thing?”

• Options
    dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

$160 a year regular pricing, get everything you can think of. I know it seems too good to be true, but I've been using it for years.

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Article in Barrons about the new sports streaming coalition--the expected initial cost would be about $35/mo., but that doesn't include CBS and NBC (NFL). My guess is that they will have a high monthly charge compared to an annual plan because they know a lot of CFB fans would drop it for seven months a year. The networks listed:

>>Essentially, subscribers will get a skinny, sporty, channel bundle that includes ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SECN, ACCN, ESPNEWS, local ABC and FOX stations, FS1, FS2, BTN, TNT, TBS, truTV, and the ESPN+ streaming service.<<

On the plus side, it will run on an app, so you could watch anywhere from your devices. On the minus side, I don't see much savings for somebody trying to assemble a streaming package to be competitive with something like Youtube or one of the other packaged services. From full cable prices, yes, though.

• Options
    crazygto715crazygto715 Posts: 485 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

as a capitalist, i find it extremely disappointing that there is a simple product that people want in extremely high demand, and corporate greed is in the way of us getting it. smh

• Options
    Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I saw that and wasn't too optimistic. It has the same trouble as a lot of the streaming services, because local channels get dropped. And if one cartel dominates, you can be sure the price won't stay down, and I'm just waiting for companies to require minimum contracts.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

An article I read suggested ways to get everything and also save money.

They suggested having one service which includes live tv. Hulu live without ads would be one choice. YouTube live, another. I've used both and settled on Hulu.

Next pick the most appealing non-live streaming service - Paramount +, Netflix, Max, whatever - and subscribe to it. Just one of these. Watch everything you most want to on that one service for a month. Cancel it before the second payment is due, so you only have this service for a month, and only pay for a month.

For the following month, pick the next most appealing non-streaming service, for just a month, as above.

That way you get what you most want and pay the least.

Sounded like a good plan, I thought.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate