Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Anyone else have trouble sleeping?

Comments

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,175 mod

Back years ago when I was 46 walking behind some co workers at the VA (all over 50) they were talking about the same thing and the consensus was 50, and once I reached that age I agree with them......

• Options
    Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Falling asleep and staying asleep are two different things, as you've discovered. A change in either deserves a medical check, but be prepared for a canned discussion about going to sleep at the same time, blue light etc. Melatonin can be helpful, but in your situation something that's dispersed over time (like Sleep 3) will be more useful. Any of it can leave me foggy the next day, but it's the perfect solution for one family member. Thunderstorm audio, something a bit boring and technical to read, or playing chess helps me turn off the doom-grams that want to race thru my mind.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,738 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like you and Pedro, I rarely have a problem falling asleep, but can often share your issue of waking in the night and staying up. For me work stress is #1 thing to wake me up and keep me up. Alcohol is #2. Honestly, I have found having just a single beer impacts my sleep - it also makes me much more prone to yell at my kids when they wont brush their teeth after the 5th time I have asked. Its been lots of years since I have had more than 2 beers in one day. If I ever make the mistake of having 2, you can guarantee I'll have a terrible nights sleep. Sometimes I put in my ear buds and listen to a podcast to try and get my mind off of whatever is racing in there... its best to listen to something you have already listened to before, or something you are not overly interested in. This doesnt work as well any more as it used to though. You could try reading a chapter or two in Leviticus and see how well that zonks you out...

• Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 21

appropriate for this thread -- have any of you seen Nate Bargatze's bit on the over 40 doctor visit?

Hilarious -

• Options
    deplorabledawgdeplorabledawg Posts: 361 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Try reading a chapter from John's gospel or whatever book in the Bible you want! Try prayer too!

• Options
    CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We live in a world and a society where work does not stop when the sun goes down, and the pressure to stay connected and care about everything, everywhere, all at once once is monumental, no matter how hard we all try to find balance.

• Options

I blame cell phones. Everything changed in the mid 90's when all of a sudden you could be contacted anywhere at any time.

• Options

At least back then you could legitimately say you were out of signal range in many places, right? I didn't get my first cell phone until 1999, but I was carrying a pager for one of my jobs before that.

• Options

Once they started giving people Blackberrys man you were expected to answer, night or day. And Blackberry did government email, so you were expected to keep up with emails as well. Most leadership carried two phones....one was your personal phone and the other was your unit-issued Blackberry.

• Options

Sounds like playing Bridge; if you don't have a reliable partner, you'd better have a reliable hand!