Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Tipping

MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited May 8 in Off Topic

There's numerous situations where you might want to tip. Usually a restaurant or when I get a haircut. How much? Maybe five or six bucks on a twenty-five dollar haircut. Usually 20% at a restaurant. But it depends. If it's lousy service or bad food, I'll tip less. Maybe 10% if it's really bad.

I know. It's not the server's fault if the food is bad.

But the other day, I heard of something totally preposterous. There's a movement by a few really cheap people that won't tip. Anything. They believe that by not tipping this will advance change in the industry forcing restaurants to pay their servers more. What a stup.id idea.

Comments

• Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My tipping in CA has gone down drastically. I don't like to tip on turnkey food where you order at the counter, take your own food to the table, and bus your own stuff into the trashcan. What is the tip for?

I appreciate places that don't ask or expect me to tip. In-n-Out and Panda Express don't ask.

Change happens regardless. What I do know is that tipping will decrease when wages increase.

• Options
    Michael_ScarnMichael_Scarn Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just spent two weeks in San Diego and restaurant prices are outrageously high.

• Options
    edited May 8

We don't order take out much. Same for dining out. Too many disappointments.

Plus my wife is s a great cook. It also helps that she's retired and has the time to do it.

Situations vary. If I'm eating breakfast and the bill is $15.50, I'll leave a twenty and tell the server to keep the change — a $4.50 tip on a $15.50 bill or a 29% tip. On the other hand, if Im a frequent diner, Ill probably tip closer to 15-20 %. Also, if I'm having breakfast and it costs me $20, I consider that a huge bargain compared to dinner that could easily run a hundred dollars or more. And where my tip will more likely be around 20%.

And I agree with Chopper. Tipped more for takeout during Covid.

As for delivery, such as Pizza Delivery we always leave a side-tip in addition to the delivery charge.

• Options
    WtkWtk Posts: 608 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The person you tip did not cook the food. But he/her could spit in it?

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I try to stay at 20% tip for everything. Haircut, dine in meal, or takeout. Sometimes I will tip more than 20% but it's rare.

• Options
    mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

”Tipflation” is real. You’re now asked at almost any Point-of-Sale to tip and the default options are always like 15/20/25%. And that’s when you place your order / before you even get your food. What if you generously tip and then wait forever for bad food? Can’t get your money back.

I generally don’t add tip for counter-order service.

When it comes to dining out, 20% is my standard. I do adjust for expensive items like a bottle of wine or expensive cocktails, unless I’m following the servers educated recommendation. Why should they get more money for bringing me a $100 bottle than a $10 bottle? Same amount of effort on their part.

• Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A lot of full-service restaurants out here have been adding on a mandatory service fee since 2020, similar to what they used to charge for large groups (10+). They were trying to stay afloat but those kinds of charges never go away and so even for full-service, I won't tip if they've already included the mandatory fee. And it's not like they ever announced it, people just started to look over the itemized bill and wonder, hey, what's that?

There were other add-ons for things like sterilizing tableware, extra plates, etc.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nobody ever got rich by tipping.

• Options
    donniemdonniem Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

But they may well have gifted it to an heir or a worthy cause….or not.

• Options
    Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 11

Yeah, I believe in tipping well. Especially if the server is trying and taking the job seriously. I was a server for three years of college and it is disheartening when you work hard to do a good job and you receive no tip. On the other hand, it feels great when you are rewarded with a generous tip.

• Options

That reminds ne of a situation I experienced as a server for TGI Fridays in the early '80s. Had a group of six or so people with the 70 -something gentleman paying the bill and leaving the tip. And as I recall it, the bill was around 80-100 dollars. And the elderly gentleman left a dollar or two thinking this was the norm. Fortunately, the daughter new his tipping habits and kicked in another five or ten bucks — after he left.