Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

A possible answer or the beginning of the end....

donniemdonniem Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just read an article on USA Today describing the agreement between the NCAA and the power 5 conferences on how schools can pay athletes. Seems there will be a salary cap of some sort - $20 million I think it might be. Appears the NCAA will foot a lot of the cost for the first 10 years and then the $ would come from payments to the school from conferences and bowl games and TV revenues. Hmmm.

Comments

• DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And right on que there was a related article in todays WSJ about Private Equity wanting in on College Sports.

The Times They Are A-Changin.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,269 mod
    edited May 24

Conferences are getting huge payouts from Disney for broadcasting rights. Players should get a piece.

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Disney? But then I remembered Disney is part of ABC, or vice-versa. And I believe ABC is all-in on broadcasting college football games.

ESPN-ABC will carry SEC games in 2024. CBS declined to renew its contract with the SEC with 2023 being the final year of a 2019 agreement.

• Michael_ScarnMichael_Scarn Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

PG: "I like the salary cap idea, but it will just turn into the bag-man days when the caps are met."

100% agree with you! Someone will ALWAYS look to take advantage of rules and loopholes to achieve competitive advantage.

When you say "Players should get a piece" - are you talking about ALL student athletes, or just football players?

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's not a question. All athletes in every sport.

• donniemdonniem Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Will a field hockey player get a "piece" of the revenue that FB and BB bring in or just a "piece" of the revenue that field hockey brings in?

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ultimately is should be a piece of what they bring in. Why should the swim team get a cut of football revenue? Worst case is you still have a scholarship and all the benefits that go along with that, so its not like they get nothing. Yes, a certain portion of football, baseball, basketball revenue is going to have to go towards supporting the Athletic Department as a whole, but as far as the players getting paid, it should be based on the sport. Those non-revenue sports athletes better get used to it because those are basically non-revenue sports in the professional ranks also. How much does a female professional field hockey player make?

This is an area where there's a real understanding gap amongst sports fans.

In most Power 5 institutions, Football and Basketball funds all or most of the non-revenue generating sports. The money provided by the Conference, which comes from a variety of sources, but primarily from television revenue, is then distributed to each school in equal shares. That money is put into a school's general account, which is then used by the schools athletic association to fund all expenses. It's up to the AD and Schools Athletic Board of Directors to determine line item expenditures, including how much money each sport will get to cover costs and any facility investments.

I would counter by saying, why discriminate against swimmers or tennis players? They're all student athletes… or at least they were until House vs NCAA!

• BumBum Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here comes a big tuition increase, you watch! The bubble is growing….

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes. That's why I said a certain amount will need to be set aside to support the Athletic Department as a whole (meaning other teams). But suddenly there is a boat load of extra money floating around that schools are able to throw into these conglomerates or consortiums or whatever to pay players huge monthly sums (I mean, where did all this money suddenly come from???). Why should the field hockey get any of that money? Why does a true freshman on the dive team deserve money?

There will always be scholarships available for all sports. That's law. And that has been more than enough for a hundred years….But I don't think that a scholarship in a non-revenue sport entitles you to a portion of the money generated by more popular and lucrative sports. If the Captain of the bowling team doesn't like that maybe he can try out for the football team.

• donniemdonniem Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

agree. If the captain of the bowling team or a freshman diver can work out an NIL deal for themselves, so much the better. Perhaps this new model will allow more students to get full rides, especially if Lamborghini dealers aren't interested in the bowling market or the field hockey market.

NIL is for all athletes. Every one can market themselves regardless of sport. Open market imho.

edited May 25

Should be entire conference revenue spread out to cover all sports with the athletes of their individual sports free to market themselves for more $$$$.