Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

A possible answer or the beginning of the end....

Comments

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So all student athletes get an equal cut of the conference revenue?

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgnms I disagree. IMO this agreement is an extension of the television contracts for football and basketball. And to a lesser extent baseball.

You suggest all athletes get paid the same. But they're not the same.

• donniemdonniem Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 25

Some (very few) minor sport athletes are doing well in the NIL world. The gymnast from LSU is apparently raking in cash. Until recently, women's BB didn't seem to generate the same interest as men's but that may be changing. I, too, wonder how Title IX will fit into all of this. Seems like a mess in the making.

• WtkWtk Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

if they pay football/basketball players, one lawsuit and everybody gets paid. I am suprised the schools got involved. Even if the schools pay them, an indvidual can too.

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nah, but some support. Trickle down economics.

• CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Trickle Down" is not an actual economic model, it was a derogatory term coined by the press during the Reagan years. It is not an actual economic theory or hermeneutic of capitalism. That hack Bill Maher made it part of his act during that time as well.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,269 mod

Show where the word equal or paid the same was used in my post? To be specific let me say that the Conference gives the schools the $$$$ to decide what percent goes where and to whom. The athelete can also do thier own NIL deal locally seperate from anything that has to with the big pool of money from TV rights. But all should get a piece of the pie.

I apologize, wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I believe the issue is do they all get an equal amount regardless of sport (the diving team gets the same as the football team) or should it be based on revenue generated by the individual sport where the starting QB gets the most and the field hockey teams gets almost nothing.

• BumBum Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let the market and individual contracts decide the outcome from here. If central planning wins out, even at the school admin level, this will result in endless lawsuits. (Talk about waste of tax dollars)

A school president or even an AD doesn’t have time to keep up with individual values of athletes.

Are you talking about collectives or NIL? That gymnast at LSU makes a ton on NIL…mostly not because she is an athlete, but because she's basically selling her body. Good for her, I guess. But as an athlete, her cut from LSU's collective should be minimal because LSU gymnastics probably doesn't generate a lot of money.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The title of this thread pretty much sums it up.

What a mess!

My guess is it will get worse, more litigious, and more corrupt, but I hope I'm wrong.

Go, Dawgs!

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 26

@dawgnms No, you didnt use equal or paid the same. What you did say was "...should be entire conference revenue to cover all sports". And I disagree with that.

You didn't say paid the same, but you definitely implied equal, as-in "all sports ".

There are 29 sub-classifcations of sports. At UGA and most major college, the big five are football, basketball, baseball, soccer, and softball. Other sports include swimming and diving, tennis, women's equestrian, track and field, golf, and cross country.

It's you're description of all sports I take exception to. You want football and basketball revenue to pay members of the dive team? Really?

• donniemdonniem Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't SEC schools get money from TV which covers softball, track and field, cross country? If so, why shouldn't they get some benefit from their participation? At least in proportion to their viewership or something along those lines?

Title IX is going to be a "thorn" in there somewhere, I think.