Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

A possible answer or the beginning of the end....

124»

Comments

• crazygto715crazygto715 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

the whole thing is outrageous, and could have been avoided if they let kids autograph tee shirts here and there.

the ncaa is the problem, as they have zero leadership or backbone. instead of gaining credibility and being on the front line advocating for the student athlete to make sure they were taken care of, they sat back and were greedy and happy to keep cashing checks on their free labor.

why couldnt the ncaa embrace NIL endorsements, and create common sense rules about disclosure etc. or why couldnt they create a players "pension fund", that promised any student athlete who made an active roster that they would get a nice payout x amount of years down the line and full medical coverage for any on field related injuries etc. Create academic degrees and study plans designed for athletes, who plan to do that for a living. on and on

• BumBum Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess it changes when the bubble bursts. Collegiate education isn’t what it used to be. A generation of youth carrying debt teaches lessons to the next. And Parents these days are thinking twice about paying for the traditional college “education”.

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No recruiting? How does that work? In an alternate universe maybe? But I don't see it.

No relationship building with coaches or players. No consideration given to the college or history or social aspects such as the night life? No consideration given to facilities?

As someone said, you grow up all your life being a Bama fan or Georgia or Auburn and then you get drafted by a team like Missouri. You're told to go there whether you like it or not. How's that going to work?

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just like the NFL. That's where this is headed. 30-40 mega-teams, salary caps, draft…something has to stop the unrelenting money spending. I don't think it will resolve on it's own.

• crazygto715crazygto715 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

well when it becomes a job and not “for fun” that all goes out the window. Same as any other position in the work force. You interview and based on what you have done they either hire you or they don’t.

I doubt chase bank hires candidates because they have had a checking account with them for 20 years. Same concept

Very sad. I know. I don’t like it. But idk how else it will end up.

Yep, these players want to be paid, then they should expect to be treated like employees. You want to play big-time D1 football and get a huge contract? Well, you better be OK with playing anywhere you get drafted.

I doubt this will ever happen, but who knows. The idea of openly paying players millions was absolutely absurd a couple of seasons ago.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Endless Charlie Foxtrot.

That's what it has turned into. It was all so predictable. It will get worse as hard as that is to believe.

Does anyone see an actual pathway leading out of the quagmire?

Go, Dawgs!

• WtkWtk Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

there won't be a draft unless the players agree to one. They are free now.

Who knows? So much is changing. These players want to get paid like employees, then they should expect to be treated like employees. Gonna look a lot like the minor leagues soon. Draft, salary caps, players moving to different teams all the time, possibly teams trading players…. I wouldn't rule anything out at this point.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

High school football player:

"It's been a wild ride. I committed to my favorite team in the spring of 9th grade. Over the summer they traded me to Kentucky, but Kentucky couldn't meet my NIL requirements. Ohio State picked up my option in 10th grade. I hate Ohio State, but the money was right. Then South Carolina upped the ante, so I sued the Buckeyes.

"I'm hoping Georgia comes through with that house in Sea Pines signing bonus. Between that and my NIL money my financial advisor thinks I can plan to skip the NFL. The Dawgs said they'll buy out my contract with the Gamecocks, and offered me offensive coordinator if I start ten games for them.

"11th grade is going to be very exciting. I might be able to retire, quit school before 12th grade, and get direct admission into the University of Alabama's Forrest Gump Football Film Studies masters degree program. These days everything is on the table."

• swilkerson7317swilkerson7317 Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I see the sky is still falling regarding NIL.

https://iconsource.com/blog/what-are-nil-benefits-4-things-critics-missed/

First and foremost, NIL can provide financial support for athletes who may not come from wealthy backgrounds.

This is a big one for me. How are you going to tell an 18 year old AA kid whose family lives in extreme poverty they cant make money and lift their family out of poverty. You cant because everyone knows that is wrong. Or at least they should.

Many brands want to work with micro-influencers people on social media with 1,000 to 100,000 followers. This is the perfect opportunity for female student-athletes, student-athletes from non-revenue-generating sports, and lower-profile student-athletes to earn on the NIL market.

Everyone told you only a few would be paid. But that isnt how its working out at all.

Most of the benefits NIL provides to college sports derive from one simple factor: NIL incentivizes players to stay in college longer. Because the top athletes can now make good money playing their sport in college, it gives them the incentive to finish out the remainder of their degree rather than jumping to the pros after meeting their minimum school requirement.

Sticking around and getting your degree is a good thing right?

By securing endorsements during their college years, athletes can establish themselves as valued members of their university community, develop important business skills, and create valuable connections that can benefit them in their future careers.

All of that makes sense to me and seems reasonable. When I see arguments on the other side they tend to run like this.

"I'm hoping Georgia comes through with that house in Sea Pines signing bonus. Between that and my NIL money my financial advisor thinks I can plan to skip the NFL.

Basically emotional nonsense.

• swilkerson7317swilkerson7317 Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 3

More benfits of NIL

Everywhere you look, athletes are announcing NIL deals designed specifically to benefit charities that are important to them.

That is a good thing. Some will tell you its all about greed. The home in Sea Pines. But that isnt true.

Before NIL rights were made into law, the NCAA was often seen as being out of touch with its stated mission of supporting the welfare of student-athletes at its member schools.

This stemmed in large part from so-called “violations”, many for ridiculous reasons, that often cost the athletes money and eligibility to play the sports they loved.

Gone are the days of AJ Green being suspended 4 games because of a few autographs. All he wanted was a little pocket money. This is good.

Until the NIL era dawned, the ability for students to earn money from their skills and business acumen was reserved for non-athletes only. 

Any regular student can generate income as they see fit, but due to the restrictions put in place by the NCAA, student-athletes were not allowed to do the same.

This is unfair and again any reasonable person should be able to see this. Now student athletes are treated the way their peers on campus are. Another good thing.

It is a widely quoted statistic that, of the nearly 500,000 who compete in NCAA athletics, more than 98% will not go on to have professional on-field careers. 

Those athletes often could not participate in activities that gave them entrepreneurial opportunities and real-world experience they can now garner under NIL rules. 

More postives!

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 15,788 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 10

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂