Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football podcast: Fans get pleasant surprise as UGA starts fall camp

SystemSystem Posts: 11,088 admin
edited August 5 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football podcast: Fans get pleasant surprise as UGA starts fall camp

Georgia football is the No. 1 topic every day on DawgNation Daily — the daily podcast for fans of the national champion Georgia Bulldogs. Catch up on everything happening with UGA athletics with host Brandon Adams and the DawgNation experts as they break down the latest Georgia football recruiting news and discuss coach Kirby Smart’s quest to return the Bulldogs to the top of the college football world. On episode No. 2256 (Aug 5, 2024) of the podcast, Georgia fans can hear why one of Georgia’s top recruits from the 2024 class may in fact by a freshman phenom.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is a joke,, right?? Lol

UGA has 3...or, 4...Freshmen, that could indeed, wind up as being "Phenomenal", this season. IMO...that entire Class ['24], has the potential, to be scary good.

I have a hard time buying, that only one guy, out of the '24 Recruiting Class, is going to be a "Phenom". And...it's not going out on much of a limb, to say Bolden, is that guy. Lol

There's only one thing, that could delay the inevitable "breakout"...and, that's playing time. It's gonna be hard for any Freshman to break into this group of upperclassmen.

The number of games and schedule strength...as well as, the new 12-Team CFP format... may open up some opportunities for Freshmen, that probably wouldn't have been there, in previous years.

I fully expect Kirby to take advantage of the cupcake games.…and, may even "run up the score" on opponents like Clemson [if possible]....in effort to get as many reps as possible for the younger guys, and reserve wear & tear on his #1/2's for the end of season blitz.

• BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Top 3 impact Freshman

KJ Bolden

Joseph Jonah Ajonye

Nate Frazier

edited August 5

Don't stop there, Bigdawg888....how 'bout adding...Ellis Robinson, Nitro Tuggle, Chris Cole & Justin Williams.

What are we up to, now?...7 possible Phenoms, including KJ Bolden? And, that's just off the top of our heads. Lol

What a Team! What a Program!.…What a Coaching Staff!!! Lol. Who doesn't...love to watch those guys play ball.?. The way it was meant to be played.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 29,257 mod

Tuggle isn’t likely to see the field beyond special teams. Could see a redshirt.

Cole and Williams also will feature on special teams, but I can’t see them getting big time reps this year.

Ellis I could definitely see stealing a job from someone.

Last month....I would've said the same thing about Tuggle. However....losing Rara Thomas, this close to the season, will open the door to some unclaimed reps....IMO.

Nitro has the benefit of a full "UGA offseason"....Spring Practice & Summer OTA's. If he added some strength & weight without sacrificing speed....look out. There will be a competition. But, the competition is tight. Lots of talent.

As far as Williams and Cole....the season's length and bredth, along with what I believe will be a quick-scoring offense should create plenty of reps to go around. Meaning lots of defensive reps to go around. I think they will need both of those guys, to get through the season against one of the toughest CFB schedules, I've ever seen..

• BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If injuries happen then of course guys can move up and make an impact. Outside of injuries I picked the 3 that I believe will make an impact regardless. JJA is an absolute outlier at his age (doesn't turn 18 til November I think). So give this kid, really a big kid now, 2 years in the program and he is going to be Bruce Smith's clone. Anyways, this year he will help us.

KJ is just really that good. He might be as talented as Malaki and just looks the part. Just needs some game experience. He will get tested early and may make some freshman mistakes but he is going to really come on for us later this year imo.

Frazier, what can you say? I've been hyping this kid for a year now. Only thing holding him back is all the talent above him (Etienne is a day 1 or day 2 pick and dynamic in his own right). Frazier comparisons are to Barry Sanders, LeSean McCoy, a faster Moreno, so not bad company there. He will get some touches and get more involved as the year goes on but it will be tough to keep him off the field. Just needs to get rid of some freshman things (too many footsie stuff in the backfield instead of 1 cut and go).

Outside of those guys who think will be medium size to big impacts my sleeper is Sacovie White or Ellis. Ellis is super talented but maybe not physical enough yet. Sacovie might be able to really show what he has if he can get into the rotation which right now is packed. So probably not this year.

Most talented is between Justin Williams and Calhoun. Calhoun will start next year. Williams is stuck behind all those linebackers we have. So next year for him as well, but he will play significant snaps this year and if a couple guys get injured he may start.