Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

USA Today says Bobo has to go

dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 422 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

From USA Today:

"The single best decision Kirby Smart has made in nearly a decade at Georgia was hiring an assistant coach he had never worked with and had no previous connection to the Bulldogs program. 

That coach was Todd Monken, and the offense he brought to Georgia was dynamic and relentless. It was both physical and creative. It kept opponents off-balance because it was so multiple that teams struggled to prepare. Most of all, it made sure Smart’s defense didn’t go to waste – and the national championship-winning results spoke for themselves. 

But now we must ask if Smart followed the best decision of his tenure with the worst: Did he screw up by replacing Monken with his close friend and veteran playcaller Mike Bobo? After watching Georgia lose to Alabama 41-34 on Saturday, it’s fair to wonder if the Bulldogs have what it takes offensively to turn this around should they meet again in the SEC championship game or the College Football Playoff. 

Yes, Georgia scored 34 points and finished with 519 yards. And yes, Georgia came all the way back to briefly take the lead with 2:31 remaining.

If you dig even a little bit under the surface, though, most of what Georgia accomplished offensively came in the fourth quarter when they had no choice but to chuck it and connected on a handful of huge plays.

It made the game chaotic, and it improbably gave Georgia a chance to win after trailing 28-0 early. But if you are calling that a good offensive performance by the Bulldogs, you’re missing the big picture."

I agree.

Comments

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not into moral victories. That said, had the defense held up after our final touchdown, would anyone be calling for Bobo's head?

Long ago I was a huge critic of Mike Bobo. Back when he first began as OC under CMR his offenses were easily predictable and not so productive. My dead grandmother could see what the next play call was going to be. I thought he should have been fired.

Of course, he was far from the worst coordinator on a staff which included Willie Martinez. (Unless, they didn't overlap on the staff. My memory could be wrong on that, but it's not wrong on how bad CWM was.)

Anyway, Bobo improved. He improved a whole lot. By the time he left Georgia for greener pastures, his offenses were highly productive. Games were lost because of the defense. His offenses lit up the scoreboard.

Coach Todd Monken was a very good offensive coordinator for the Dawgs, but he was far from perfect. I do think he seemed to be a step up from Bobo. However, he also had, at least for a couple of years, truly generational players scattered throughout both the offense and the defense which tends to make the job a whole lot easier.

I was unable (due to the hurricane) to watch the Alabama game live. I've now watched the highlights. It is silly for a newspaper to badmouth Bobo for play calling which put Georgia in a position to comeback from a huge deficit and win the game. Is Bobo responsible for the defense?

There is plenty of blame to go around when talking about the Alabama game. I suppose one could rightly blame the coaches for the lack of execution by the players, but that's rather a stretch from some points of view.

I'm not into moral victories. That said, had the defense held up after our final touchdown, would anyone be calling for Bobo's head?

Go, Dawg!

• CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, this was the most exciting starting off play calling all season and the guys just didn't execute. I believe I said this during the game as well.

When Arian missed that bomb, I felt deflated myself, and I wondered after those first couple of drives if Beck was feeling it.

I think the concerns should migrate from play-calling critique to training and preparation of the players and the lack of real-time adjustments and that can be applied to both sides of the ball, not just offense. For instance, is Beck not going through is progressions consistently due to in-game jitters or is it just not deeply embedded enough in his process yet? Is the defense not setting the edges because they aren't fast enough, getting the wrong schemes called or are they not recognizing the offensive sets in time to adjust?

The early feel I had of this game was that our guys were not ready for war when war was upon them.

• SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They will either play better and contend or won't and our season ends with Ga Tech!

Pretty simple!

USA Today and AJC got together and created this new thing called, a “new era of polarization,”

Perfect example of that with the Bobo comment and I couldnt disagree with them more!

• KaseyKasey Posts: 29,277 mod

i didn’t know you worked for USA today

• DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 1

I completely concur. You don't get rid of the OC for lack of execution on the field. Bobo has "improved" his play calling in his second stint as OC. The players have to execute no matter who is OC. Bobo play called the Dawgz offense all the way to the lead in the 4th quarter. Yes, Bobo is not responsible for the defense. Boo to USA Today. Go Dawgz. 😎

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

at a certain you can’t just keep saying “players gotta execute” coaches have to put the players in position to execute either through changes in personnel or through scheme

• DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 1

they were in position and our star decided he couldn’t read a defense and would just throw to the other team. Clown journalism who doesn’t understand that the heisman trophy candidate wet the bed on the road. when he should’ve been that guy he wasn’t.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beck hit Arian in the hands on a deep ball early and he dropped it. He drops passes a lot yet he still gets WR1 reps

• dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 422 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 422 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bobo is the QB coach, too.