Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Hummmmm

BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Might be old news, I'm not for sure. But come on, really...

Http://www.thegeorgiaway.com/resources/safe-safe/

Comments

• Options
    VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, no one is allowed to hurt your feelings in there. It’s preparing college kids for the real world.

• Options
    HereSoIWontGetFinedHereSoIWontGetFined Posts: 45 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why is this a bad thing? Lots of people are still unaccepting of people in the LGBT community. Especially in the locker room. If these athletes need a place to be themselves and unwind, why do you care?

The real world should not make you feel unwanted, especially for things you can’t control. Race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, mental health etc. I have known people that have ended their lives for these reasons. If this saves one life it’s worth it. And conversations/friendship can do just that. It’s easy for most of us to scoff at this as liberal BS but if a soldier needed a break/chill area because of PTSD, would you say the same thing? If Roquan used this resources last year would you say that same thing?

• Options
    VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@HereSoIWontGetFined said:
    Why is this a bad thing? Lots of people are still unaccepting of people in the LGBT community. Especially in the locker room. If these athletes need a place to be themselves and unwind, why do you care?

The real world should not make you feel unwanted, especially for things you can’t control. Race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, mental health etc. I have known people that have ended their lives for these reasons. If this saves one life it’s worth it. And conversations/friendship can do just that. It’s easy for most of us to scoff at this as liberal BS but if a soldier needed a break/chill area because of PTSD, would you say the same thing? If Roquan used this resources last year would you say that same thing?

I don’t deny anything you state but these are often used (or you would suggest misused) to simply block out any descenting opinion. Because of that I do scoff at these things as utopian nonsense that only foster group think ultimately do no one any good.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm fine with having support for those who might feel alienated.
    As long as it doesn't translate into real favoritism, everybody should be allowed to be themselves without penalty, as long as it doesn't infringe on others' rights. No, not liking something isn't being infringed on.

• Options
    BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We rightfully have every manner of support for these student athletes. Not sure why this is any different ... especially if they're getting bullied, etc.

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@HereSoIWontGetFined said:

I am sorry to hear about those you have known losing thier lives.

This is just another way to water down our society. Where does it stop at?

Who on here hasnt been bullied at one time or another? Is there ever a reason for bullying? NO. My oldest son was bullied in school for being overweight and #2 in his class. We would talked about it and discuss ways to handled it. Part of that discussion never included hiding in a closet. To me things like this tell people that they can hide from thier problems instead of facing them .

I'm sure you have figured out by now that life isn't fair. Why don't we all just wear bubble wrap and helmets?

And yes if Roquan had used this, my thoughts would have been the same.

• Options
    HereSoIWontGetFinedHereSoIWontGetFined Posts: 45 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m glad your son had you to discuss his issues and I am hoping the bullying did not leave any lasting scars. Bullying does have reasons and often they can be very pointed. Many of those in the lgbt community have no one to talk to because they are hiding for a myriad of reasons. Losing your family, friends, teammates can all be solid reasons why one may not face issues head on. Having a tiny resource is not a bad thing if it helps one person.

Safe spaces can be echo chambers for certain idealologies for sure. I don’t agree with with every aspect of safe spaces. I also don’t agree with every aspect of democracy or capitalism but I won’t discredit those institutions based on those aspects alone.

Not sure what you u mean by water down the society. But “it” can stop when people are fair to each other even when life isn’t. I quote George Costanza: “We’re living in a society, we’re supposed to act in a civilized way.”

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just so long as these “safe spaces” don’t take up notable real estate, I’m fine with them. But the effort behind these things shouldn’t be that they grow. But that the safe spaces are temporary solutions to problems . And we use the safe spaces to find out how we don’t need them any more.

Like if a group of people keep hanging out in them, okay cool. You guys just formed a club. One of you guys surely have a backyard. You’re now having a barbecue in that backyard twice a month. There. Now you have your own support group/group of friends. You don’t need these silly safe spaces any more.

That’s just a rough sketch I came up with though while typing. Not all situations would that be applicable for. But that’s the idea. If they’re in the **** safe space for very long, the goal becomes to figure out how to get them out of the safe space.