Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Florida got a quarterback

levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Has this been covered on DawgNation? I haven't seen it.

Seems like the idea of Florida being an easier push for Georgia this year just flew out the window:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/pros-cons-malik-zaire-florida-gators

Comments

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Back up QB for the Irish doesn't turn into a world beater overnight. He does improve their QB room, competition wise.

• cf_ugamancf_ugaman Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:

@levander said:
    Has this been covered on DawgNation? I haven't seen it.

Seems like the idea of Florida being an easier push for Georgia this year just flew out the window:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/pros-cons-malik-zaire-florida-gators

Florida's demise, an agenda that some were pushing, was more hope than reality. They finished strong on the trail last cycle and are recruiting well this year. Zaire makes them more interesting

Yea it def makes them more interesting but I'd also say that it makes us less of the prohibitive favorite to win the east. I believe Brandon Adams had some thoughts on this @levander

• ladawgladawg Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All true, but he's only got 2 months to learn their system.. and it's a complicated one.. stidham will be better because that system is simpler at auburn, more just rpo's... but again, most qb's aren't great in their first year in any system..

• daddydawg72daddydawg72 Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Besides that one home game win vs a bad Texas team, what has he done? If he was that good, that 4-8 ND team would've bent over backwards to keep him. Looks like Treon Harris 2.0 (2-0 vs UGA though).

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cf_ugaman Yeah, I vaguely remember BA saying something about it on the podcast. But wasn't it just one of his quick stories he went over? I think the main thing he said was that he had been saying the SEC would probably change the rules if Zaire wanted to come to Florida.

I'm thinking this is the type of coverage DawgNation.commis missing. Average Dawg fan doesn't want to know as much about the rest of the SEC teams. But when something big happens, I bet most of the people who read this site would like to know about it. They got contacts through SEC Country. They could have someone from another school write a guest article when something big happens at another school. Especially in the off-season, when they're aren't as many headlines. Seems like if something this big happens, it'd give a temporary spike in readership.

Not sure what DawgNation's model is though. No idea if they could monetize that or not. Maybe just a link on the DawgNation front page to an article on sister sites from SEC Country when something big happens at another school. Like in a sidebar on the front page or something.

DawgNation is pretty much my one stop shopping for college football news. The above is all they'd have to do make it complete. And I don't really want to dig through another entire site with all their little story reporting just to find really big things at other SEC schools. No idea if that fits in with their current business model though.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@daddydawg72 said:
    Besides that one home game win vs a bad Texas team, what has he done? If he was that good, that 4-8 ND team would've bent over backwards to keep him. Looks like Treon Harris 2.0 (2-0 vs UGA though).

I think he is WAY better than Treon Harris. Oh, if only we could get Harris to come back and play again for the Gators. Zaire can actually throw the ball. Still, I agree that the Irish would have done a lot more to keep him if he was that good. Just not sure how good he has to be for FL to keep on winning the East.

• Dakota_NesterDakota_Nester Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Can he even transfer to Florida? I thought the SEC was still reviewing because Florida's transfers in the past hadn't met the academic requirements. I'll be curious how this plays out and if Zaire actually ends up in Gainesville.

• spradlin24spradlin24 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The last Florida team to take on a ND grad transfer did not fair too well with that decision. I am surprised they would do this to Franks who has a lot of talent. This basically tells him they do not trust him to get it done again this season. Zaire is a quality guy, but he is not the greatest or he would not have lost his job at ND and he would not have left knowing the guy that beat you out during the season was leaving for the draft. Of course they did not have much there last year either and we still could not find a way to win the game so with that game I am not sure if it matters. Hoping we change how we perform there this season because we have looked terrible for the past several years no matter how good we were before and after that game.

edited June 2017

@Dakota_Nester said:
    Can he even transfer to Florida? I thought the SEC was still reviewing because Florida's transfers in the past hadn't met the academic requirements. I'll be curious how this plays out and if Zaire actually ends up in Gainesville.

In the article linked in the OP, it talks about how the SEC just changed the rules so that Zaire can go to Florida.

EDIT: I just looked at the article again. Actually it says the SEC is about to vote on changing the rule. Well they voted. Zaire can now go to Florida.

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@spradlin24 said:
    The last Florida team to take on a ND grad transfer did not fair too well with that decision. I am surprised they would do this to Franks who has a lot of talent. This basically tells him they do not trust him to get it done again this season. Zaire is a quality guy, but he is not the greatest or he would not have lost his job at ND and he would not have left knowing the guy that beat you out during the season was leaving for the draft. Of course they did not have much there last year either and we still could not find a way to win the game so with that game I am not sure if it matters. Hoping we change how we perform there this season because we have looked terrible for the past several years no matter how good we were before and after that game.

This^^^^...great post!

I'm Googling all over trying to find some kind of scoop, or at least educated speculation on why Zaire decided to leave Norte .Dame. Nada.

He announced his decision to transfer late last November, which may have been before the starting quarterback declared for the NFL draft. But Zaire hadn't decided on a school even after that quarterback was drafted and officially gone from Notre Dame. So it's not like he couldn't have switched his mind and stayed after they lost their starting QB.

All the articles I've seen on it, they've said Notre Dame fans would have loved for Zaire to stay.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:
    I'm Googling all over trying to find some kind of scoop, or at least educated speculation on why Zaire decided to leave Norte .Dame. Nada.

He announced his decision to transfer late last November, which may have been before the starting quarterback declared for the NFL draft. But Zaire hadn't decided on a school even after that quarterback was drafted and officially gone from Notre Dame. So it's not like he couldn't have switched his mind and stayed after they lost their starting QB.

All the articles I've seen on it, they've said Notre Dame fans would have loved for Zaire to stay.

Notre Dame was a dumpster fire last year. When things were falling apart, Kelly through a lot of people under the bus, including an interview comment about Zaire.

Bill Connolly's stats will tell you that they were a better team than their record suggests last year, but when the public pressure came Kelly didn't deal with it well in the heat of the moment. Post season, he said all the right things about how it starts with him, yada yada.