Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Most over rated programs

Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Very good article in today's ajc about the most overrated college football programs since I guess the 50's or so. Proves the point that I've argued for years about Ohio state, Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, to name a few. The northeast media knows next to nothing about college football and has for years overrated those bunch of has beens!

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I really don't think any program, other than Notre Dame's has been overrated.
    it's not like it's show horses, they are judged on results.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't see a link to the article, but I don't know how anyone could say OSU and USC are over-rated. Both of them have been consistently at the top for decades. Michigan has been irrelevant for a long time, same with ND.

• jc30116jc30116 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:
    Don't see a link to the article, but I don't know how anyone could say OSU and USC are over-rated. Both of them have been consistently at the top for decades. Michigan has been irrelevant for a long time, same with ND.

USC and OSU also have one other thing in common. Both have been caught breaking rules to get players they wanted. Not saying that it would change the on field results but who knows how many more losses they would have had if the had followed the rules.

@jc30116 said:

@pgjackson said:

USC and OSU also have one other thing in common. Both have been caught breaking rules to get players they wanted. Not saying that it would change the on field results but who knows how many more losses they would have had if the had followed the rules.

True, but those two programs have always been good. They might have a couple of lean years thrown in...but overall they are the bluebloods of college football.

@pgjackson said:

@jc30116 said:

@pgjackson said:

True, but those two programs have always been good. They might have a couple of lean years thrown in...but overall they are the bluebloods of college football.

USC is an exception. They have ended every great run by being put on major probation.
    Of course The SEC has it's share of dirty laundry to say the least.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

I'll give you USC. OSU? Nah. They're consistent, but it's not like they're Alabama....even though they beat Alabama in 2014 on their way to a title.

They should be winners with that weak-sister schedule they play every year that has at least 9 guaranteed wins wrote all over it. If they don't win at least 9 or 10 every year, it's their fault.

@WCDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@jc30116 said:

@pgjackson said:

USC is an exception. They have ended every great run by being put on major probation.
    Of course The SEC has it's share of dirty laundry to say the least.

And who has been on probation the most in the SEC before the addition of Texas A&M, you ask?

Why, it's the Plainsmen/War Eagles/Tigers, of course.....

edited June 2018

My own opinion is as follows:

1. Notre Dame.....Could there be any other choice? Thirty years now since they've been relevant, but they're ranked every year in the pre-season on reputation and little else.

The rest don't matter, because all of them have done better than ND the last 30 years.

@UnderDog68 said:

@pgjackson said:

I'll give you USC. OSU? Nah. They're consistent, but it's not like they're Alabama....even though they beat Alabama in 2014 on their way to a title.

They should be winners with that weak-sister schedule they play every year that has at least 9 guaranteed wins wrote all over it. If they don't win at least 9 or 10 every year, it's their fault.

They were Bama back in the 70’s. They owned college football back then. A little lean in the 80’s, then have been at the top for the last couple of decades.

edited June 2018

@pgjackson said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@pgjackson said:

They were Bama back in the 70’s. They owned college football back then. A little lean in the 80’s, then have been at the top for the last couple of decades.

The won exactly one (1) title during the 70s, and that was in 1970, which was actually a split one with Texas. They didn't win another one until 2002.

Alabama won titles in 1973, 78, and 79. I wouldn't say that OSU really owned football in the 70s. The only reason the older fans like us tend to give them props is because Big-10 football was about the only college football on TV back then.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Notre Dame hands down.

@UnderDog68 said:

@pgjackson said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@pgjackson said:

The won exactly one (1) title during the 70s, and that was in 1970, which was actually a split one with Texas. They didn't win another one until 2002.

Alabama won titles in 1973, 78, and 79. I wouldn't say that OSU really owned football in the 70s. The only reason the older fans like us tend to give them props is because Big-10 football was about the only college football on TV back then.

That is true. Back then about all you could find on TV was OSU, Michigan and ND games. OSU won the B10 almost every year from 1969-86. I counted 13 conference championships in those 17 years. Crazy.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think OSU, ND, and USC are vewied as overrated because of the schedule. It feels like most years they are picked to win it all and then choke.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2018

Kansas State was very overrated in the late 90s and early 2000's

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

USC and Standford are consistently overrated in rankings and hype in my opinion

Overrated now?

Oki St
    TCU
    Auburn
    LSU
    Stanford
    Wisky
    ND
    Miami
    WV
    FSU

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:
    Overrated now?

Oki St
    TCU
    Auburn
    LSU
    Stanford
    Wisky
    ND
    Miami
    WV
    FSU

agreed with that, I think ND will be a good team this year though

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    agreed with that, I think ND will be a good team this year though

Looking at the ND schedule for 2018, I'd say they will be about like last year. Good; not spectacular. The have Michigan first game, FSU later on in the year, and little else. They may beat FSU due to the coaching transition. They may beat Michigan because Harbaugh isn't all that as a coach. They also have Stanford, Virginia Tech and USC (the real one) on the schedule. They lost a boatload of players, including one really good DE to UGA on a graduate transfer, and lost the core of their offensive line.

@pgjackson said:
    Overrated now?

Oki St.....As usual in the Big-12, no defense.
    TCU.......Ditto.
    Auburn...Great coming out of the gate, but not much on stamina.
    LSU........Coach O....AKA Cookie Monster. Need I say more?
    Stanford...Can always count on them to upset a Washington or USC, though.
    Wisky.......Slow, plodding, 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust Big-10 football at it's finest.
    ND...........See my above post on ND.
    Miami.......CMR will always lose one or two in head-scratching or W T H fashion. See UGA from 2008-2015.
    WV...........How much more hair can Holgerson pull out? All offense, no defense. It's like watching a video game.
    FSU.........Hired a coach that's been mediocre at every stop except for one 10-win season at USF...But it's all Jimbo's fault.

@pgjackson said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@pgjackson said:

@pgjackson said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@pgjackson said:

Bama and USC virtually tied for 70s supremacy.

Bama won 3 titles, but just 79's was close to unanimous, the other 2 were split with other teams.
    USC also claims 3 titles from the decade, but only the 1972 title is pretty much uncontested.

Before the BCS era many titles were pretty dubious, thankfully our 1980 title is uncontested though.