Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Most over rated programs

2»

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@pgjackson said:
    Overrated now?

Oki St
    TCU
    Auburn
    LSU
    Stanford
    Wisky
    ND
    Miami
    WV
    FSU

agreed with that, I think ND will be a good team this year though

ND historically was overrated because of the huge Catholic voting and media machine.
    Of their Heisman winners, maybe 2 would have won if they'd played for any other team.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

Bama and USC virtually tied for 70s supremacy.

Bama won 3 titles, but just 79's was close to unanimous, the other 2 were split with other teams.
    USC also claims 3 titles from the decade, but only the 1972 title is pretty much uncontested.

Before the BCS era many titles were pretty dubious, thankfully our 1980 title is uncontested though.

True....But until after the 1973 season, National Titles were awarded before any bowls were played.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@pgjackson said:
    Don't see a link to the article, but I don't know how anyone could say OSU and USC are over-rated. Both of them have been consistently at the top for decades. Michigan has been irrelevant for a long time, same with ND.

I'll give you USC. OSU? Nah. They're consistent, but it's not like they're Alabama....even though they beat Alabama in 2014 on their way to a title.

They should be winners with that weak-sister schedule they play every year that has at least 9 guaranteed wins wrote all over it. If they don't win at least 9 or 10 every year, it's their fault.

They were Bama back in the 70’s. They owned college football back then. A little lean in the 80’s, then have been at the top for the last couple of decades.

@UnderDog68 said:

@WCDawg said:

Bama and USC virtually tied for 70s supremacy.

Bama won 3 titles, but just 79's was close to unanimous, the other 2 were split with other teams.
    USC also claims 3 titles from the decade, but only the 1972 title is pretty much uncontested.

Before the BCS era many titles were pretty dubious, thankfully our 1980 title is uncontested though.

True....But until after the 1973 season, National Titles were awarded before any bowls were played.

True dat, but USC's 1972 championship ended when they crushed #3 Ohio State in The Rose Bowl.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod
    edited June 2018

Surprised UCLA hasn't been mentioned. Except for being in LaLa land with some LaLa HC's....not much to be said about them..

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UCLA will not we overrated as the commentators drool all over chip kelley with their obsession

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UCLA hasn’t done squat since the Troy Aikman years.

Texas has been overrated for at least 10 years.

• VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

Michigan? (Jim Harbaugh most overrated coach)

edited June 2018

@WCDawg said:

ND historically was overrated because of the huge Catholic voting and media machine.
    Of their Heisman winners, maybe 2 would have won if they'd played for any other team.

Paul Hornung was the only Heisman winner that came from a losing team. You guessed it....a 2-8 Notre Dame team in 1956. And what mega-star did they overlook? Jim Brown of Syracuse, of course. All because of what you posted about the Eastern media and racial bias.

• nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior

Fellas,

The national media does this to keep the mid-west fan base interested. The same can be said for teams in the SEC, West, SW, and NE. Their mission is to attract a wide audience for TV ratings. Period!

Whether it is listening to talks shows, reading articles and reviewing ratings, I always consider the source.

• Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Been a few days since I read the article but I believe they used overrated in the context of finishing lower in the polls than what they were predicted to at the beginning of the season. If I have that right then that makes what Alabama has done even more impressive.