Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Im Ready For The Falcons To Trade Julio

BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He’s the best player in football, but he’s placed himself above the team, so he’s not helping us anymore.

Let’s move on with the guys who want to play for the Falcons.

I would seek a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and about a million dollars to help pay salaries for guys who want to play now.

Im tired of the storyline. Let’s move on.

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bigcalidawg said:
    He’s the best player in football, but he’s placed himself above the team, so he’s not helping us anymore.

Let’s move on with the guys who want to play for the Falcons.

I would seek a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and about a million dollars to help pay salaries for guys who want to play now.

Im tired of the storyline. Let’s move on.

He's not even the best WR, Antonio Brown is, but he is elite, though he can't score for chit.
    I'm not sure it wouldn't be a good football decision to move him if the return is right, even without the drama of the holdout.

• Options

Im thinking we replace him with 2 elite OLinemen and whatever else we can get.

Ridley won’t back away from the challenge ahead.

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He’s the best WR in football...Matt Ryan needs ll the help he can get. Restructure Ryan’s contract and pay Julio. My Falcons are a constant gas bubble in my stomach.

• Options

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    He’s the best WR in football...Matt Ryan needs ll the help he can get. Restructure Ryan’s contract and pay Julio. My Falcons are a constant gas bubble in my stomach.

Julio can't catch the ball in the red zone, he has the fewest TDs of all thetop 70 receivers in yardage in NFL history, that is a glaring weakness, it cost us the playoff game in Philly.

• Options

@Bigcalidawg said:

Nobody will give up 2 elite OLs for a WR, few teams even have 2 on their roster.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Nobody will give up 2 elite OLs for a WR, few teams even have 2 on their roster.

Wishful thinking on my part, but I was hoping to use a 1st and a 2nd round pick on Ilinemen and hope they pan out. I’m thinking more through the draft than free agency, or trade.

• Options

Trade him and use the draft picks to help recreate the identity of the offense.

• Options

@Bigcalidawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Wishful thinking on my part, but I was hoping to use a 1st and a 2nd round pick on Ilinemen and hope they pan out. I’m thinking more through the draft than free agency, or trade.

I see your point.
    I think all player decisions will revolve around Matt Ryan though, which means looking for immediate help.
    This is not a team looking to stockpile draft picks at the expense of this year's team.
    If, (and it seems extremely unlikely) JJ is traded I think it will be for an elite player at a position of need, or maybe a couple of excellent players who are slightly below JJ's level.
    It seems very unlikely to happen unless Julio really forces their hand.

• Options

Jules has he Falcons by the Jewels

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

how does signing an existing player on the team at a different position to an extension effect using draft picks to address a need at another position? If anything, the Falcons need to resign Julio in order to use those draft picks on offensive linemen. Otherwise, they will have to use another high draft pick on a wide receiver.

As for letting hulio go because of his attitude toward the team, I think it's a little naive to think that the next player won't have the same attitude. The reality is the players on the team probably support Julio's efforts to get as much money for himself as he can. All of the players understand that's the nature of their business. If we replace Julio with someone else who actually fills his shoes the next guy will also be seeking the big bucks too. The Falcons only options are to pay Julio what he wants, or trade him for as much as they can get in return. I do believe if Julio Jones played for New England Patriots that he would be on the trade block right now

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We would get a solid receiver or lineman along with a first round pick. However, we would not get an elite player back. Anyone remember the sideline catch late in the Super Bowl that should have sealed the game? No one else makes that. With that said, Julio is on the downslope and isn’t worth top five receiver money. Plus, his attitude sucks. I say trade him.

• Options
    brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

the only trade i would be cool with is sending him to New York for Odell.

• Options

@Bankwalker said:
    how does signing an existing player on the team at a different position to an extension effect using draft picks to address a need at another position? If anything, the Falcons need to resign Julio in order to use those draft picks on offensive linemen. Otherwise, they will have to use another high draft pick on a wide receiver.

As for letting hulio go because of his attitude toward the team, I think it's a little naive to think that the next player won't have the same attitude. The reality is the players on the team probably support Julio's efforts to get as much money for himself as he can. All of the players understand that's the nature of their business. If we replace Julio with someone else who actually fills his shoes the next guy will also be seeking the big bucks too. The Falcons only options are to pay Julio what he wants, or trade him for as much as they can get in return. I do believe if Julio Jones played for New England Patriots that he would be on the trade block right now

Really though, how often does a team face a holdout from a WR ?
    I doubt it's once a decade.
    The Falcons will keep JJ because it's in their interest to do so.
    If the team was in a rebuilding mode, he'd likely be traded. A top WR with some age on him wouldn't have much value to a team looking 3 or 4 years down the road. Atlanta was a dropped pass away ( by JJ) to making the NFC Title Game last season and Matt Ryan only has so many prime years left in him, this is about the immediate future and it's hard to dream up a trade of JJ that would make the team stronger right away. There is a real need for for a top NT, and depth along the defensive front 7, but that would be tough to pull off and weakening the offense to strengthen the defense might not be a net gain.
    Whatever happens, the staff needs to ride JJ's arse about his lack of red zone production, that is a real problem.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And so now it becomes clear why the Falcons drafted Ridley with their 1st round pick...

Didn’t make sense before.

Falcons should trade him now. It’s happened in the past that receivers have torn it up in year 1.

• Options

I agree. I like Julio. The man works hard at his craft, but he’s hurting the team and he needs to get traded if he’s not back with the team by the end of July.

• Options

@Bigcalidawg said:
    I agree. I like Julio. The man works hard at his craft, but he’s hurting the team and he needs to get traded if he’s not back with the team by the end of July.

I've noticed that the more an organization tolerates, the more the intolerable BS comes out.
    Most posters recall just a few years ago coaches were pandering to the worst in recruits. We had immature boys acting out on social media, openly taunting coaches and fan bases, etc. When adults decided enough was enough, 95% of it went away seemingly overnight.
    My point, don't pander to these athletes who disrupt the team with demands beyond what they and their agents agreed to contractually. If he won't abide by the contract, stop paying him till he fulfills the terms he agreed to.

• Options
    PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I say pay him, even though my gut doesn't like it. Right now, I think he has the Birds by the cojones. It seems out of his character. I always thought of Julio as the consummate pro. He works his tail off. You never hear much from him on or off the field (and that's very rare among elite WRs). Right now I just can't see the team without him. Top 3 WR, future HOF. I just don't see them parting ways over this, but I could be wrong. It'd be a sad day as a Falcon fan, but we'll see

• Options
    Dawg14Dawg14 Posts: 197 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Trade him and sign Dez Bryant for the one year prove it deal. Ditch him after the year and redraft.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2018

Ancient coaching quote
    “There is no letter I in T-E-A-M.”
    Julio Jones ought to know that better than most. He no longer wants to be a part of his team? Then he needs his walking papers.

• Options

@PeachCoDawg said:
    I say pay him, even though my gut doesn't like it. Right now, I think he has the Birds by the cojones. It seems out of his character. I always thought of Julio as the consummate pro. He works his tail off. You never hear much from him on or off the field (and that's very rare among elite WRs). Right now I just can't see the team without him. Top 3 WR, future HOF. I just don't see them parting ways over this, but I could be wrong. It'd be a sad day as a Falcon fan, but we'll see

I'd let him sit without pay till he decides to honor his contract. I might give him something if he honors the agreement, but I wouldn't give in to extortion.