Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The cows have come home to roost with The Braves' bullpen..

2»

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2018

@georgiaboy said:

@donm said:

@georgiaboy said:
    The bullpen has been ass all year. We've easily lost 10-12 games that we should've won. The biggest being a 10-2 (I think) lead at Chicago that turned into a loss.

The 8th and ninth inning relievers were perfect last night. The middle relief corps has been pretty shaky, for sure.

True...but those weren't our normal 8th and 9th inning guys. Winkler and Minter are supposed to be middle inning guys. Our closer has been ailing and far from automatic when healthy. I'm not even sure Snit knows who our 8th inning guy is anyway. I'm not crazy about his handling of the pitching staff at all and I'm a Snit fan.

Vizcaino's ERA over his last 10 appearances before his injury was 0.00, his season ERA is 1.83.

Vizcaino is due back today, our 8th inning guy will be Minter.

• Options
    DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@DawgsofWar said:
    Freeman needs to be optioned down to Triple A stat. Your ERA as a relief pitcher should not be over 5.

That 5 ERA may apply to half the relief staff.

Very true. Moylan is done, too. He hasn't pitched as well as I would have liked for him to. Sims was part of the problem, but he's already back down to Triple A. Carle has been shaky as of recent, too.

• Options
    georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

@donm said:

@georgiaboy said:
    The bullpen has been ass all year. We've easily lost 10-12 games that we should've won. The biggest being a 10-2 (I think) lead at Chicago that turned into a loss.

The 8th and ninth inning relievers were perfect last night. The middle relief corps has been pretty shaky, for sure.

True...but those weren't our normal 8th and 9th inning guys. Winkler and Minter are supposed to be middle inning guys. Our closer has been ailing and far from automatic when healthy. I'm not even sure Snit knows who our 8th inning guy is anyway. I'm not crazy about his handling of the pitching staff at all and I'm a Snit fan.

Vizcaino's ERA over his last 10 appearances before his injury was 0.00, his season ERA is 1.83.

I stand corrected. I thought he had blown several saves but I see that it is only 2. I'm ok with Minter as the 8th inning guy. I like Winkler in that spot as well. Biddle may be a factor going forward.

• Options

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

@donm said:

@georgiaboy said:

I stand corrected. I thought he had blown several saves but I see that it is only 2. I'm ok with Minter as the 8th inning guy. I like Winkler in that spot as well. Biddle may be a factor going forward.

I think he has 2 blown saves, of course evaluating a closer is trickier than either ERA or blown saves will inform over a short period. Look at Winkler, he has excellent numbers for the season, but when he was put in to close he wet the sheets.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

@donm said:

@georgiaboy said:

I think he has 2 blown saves, of course evaluating a closer is trickier than either ERA or blown saves will inform over a short period. Look at Winkler, he has excellent numbers for the season, but when he was put in to close he wet the sheets.

That he did for sure!

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Need to replace Sam Freeman and Moylan with couple of guys that can pitch the 7th or 8th innings, knock Biddle and Carle down to 5th or 6th innings spots.
    Would love to get a dependable closer, Visciano has great stuff but not enough control.

• Options
    edited July 2018

@coastaldawg said:
    Need to replace Sam Freeman and Moylan with couple of guys that can pitch the 7th or 8th innings, knock Biddle and Carle down to 5th or 6th innings spots.
    Would love to get a dependable closer, Visciano has great stuff but not enough control.

He has 33 Ks and 13 walks so far, he has rounded back into the form he showed before the injury.
    He didn't give up a run, either earned or unearned over his last 10 appearances before he went on the DL with a sore shoulder.
    I think the critical need is for a couple of dependable long relievers who can hold up to a lot of work.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@SWGADAWG said:
    Need two more good arms, I like our 8th and 9th inning guys but that 5-7 has killed us

It won't matter if they add arms and just wear them out too.
    They CAN'T add numbers till Sep., so they'd have to send 2 down or release them to add more relievers.
    They are going to have to get more innings from starters at some point soon.

The hook comes too quick. Pulling guys before they hit 90 pitches.

Go ahead and pull up some camp arms for a couple months.

While you’re at it, send Santana back and pull up Reed.

• Options

@Bigcalidawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@SWGADAWG said:
    Need two more good arms, I like our 8th and 9th inning guys but that 5-7 has killed us

It won't matter if they add arms and just wear them out too.
    They CAN'T add numbers till Sep., so they'd have to send 2 down or release them to add more relievers.
    They are going to have to get more innings from starters at some point soon.

The hook comes too quick. Pulling guys before they hit 90 pitches.

Go ahead and pull up some camp arms for a couple months.

While you’re at it, send Santana back and pull up Reed.

Part of the problem is throughout MLB.
    Teams demand players max out their effort to throw in the upper 90s without much regard for the debilitating affects. So managers counter the trend by limiting innings. Snitker is too conservative though.
    The solution is to add 3 roster spots, but owners don't want the added payroll and the players' union isn't keen on splitting their pie with more players.

• Options

PS, owners voted to expand rosters from 25 to 26 in 2016, The players union shot it down. So we can't simply blame team management for the situation. Players are greedy arse wipes.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Braves up 3-2 on the yanks in the 5th. Maybe Sanchez can make thru the 7th.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, it wasn't always pretty, but the bullpen manned up last night. Poor Sam Freeman....he seems to be in a serious funk...wonder if they might send him down to Gwinnett for a while and see if he can get straightened out. Having to use 5 innings of bullpen didn't help last night. Got to be getting some tired arms out there. Still, a win over the Yankees on the road is pretty sweet.

• Options
    BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Who was that bullpen last night against the Yanks?! Looking good, Braves!

• Options

@BullyDawg said:
    Who was that bullpen last night against the Yanks?! Looking good, Braves!

They gave up 5 walks and 4 hits in 5 innings. They were very fortunate to get out of those innings without blowing the game.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s looking like 27 might be about right. I was unaware they turned that down. That’s too bad.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgsofWar said:
    Freeman needs to be optioned down to Triple A stat. Your ERA as a relief pitcher should not be over 5.

Hey, at least he's not Dillon Maples with the Cubs. Just called up from Triple A Iowa, his ERA is sitting at 16.88 That was an amazing series. The Cubs and Twins. The last two games of the series total baseruuners combined (walks and hits only) 42 in game 3 and 40 in game 4. What an offensive onslaught.