Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

How did you become a Georgia fan?

KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I know we have a lot of DAWG fans here from around the country. How did you become a fan of the team? I'd love to hear everyone's stories.

Me? Born and raised in Augusta, Georgia. Grew up drying off with a 1980 national championship beach towel after my baths when I was a kid. My grandfather used to have the same beach towel tacked on the wall. My mother was a Clemson fan, and tried as she might, it just never stuck. Orange never was for me I guess. I've been long gone from Georgia since 2000, but the pride still goes with me

Comments

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2018

Well back in 1980 my dad was watching a game and he wouldnt let me watch what i wanted to watch and back then most household's only had one tv. I had no choice and watched that game (Clemson) and fell in love and watched us win the the Natty later that year... I was only 8 years old then....

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

my dad took me to the LSU in 2009 for my first game when i was 6 and I drank the kool-aid.

• MotorCityDawgMotorCityDawg Posts: 350 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dad went to UGA I went to UGA but I was indoctrinated from birth

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As a kid, I was born & raised in Atlanta, Georgia. My Daddy first introduced me to Georgia against Clemson. Georgia won that game 38-0. I hardly knew what football was back then, but the excitement that I felt was a feeling that I still get to this day. That was back in 1970. Fast forward to today? The Georgia Bulldogs takes me back to memorable games & all were a shared memory of my late father & me. In 1976, I was 13 then... Georgia dismantled Alabama 21-0!! What a thrilling game that was. I still miss my father, & I always will. The DAWGS & cheering them on has a deep meaning for me, & I’m passing this on to my kids now!

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Moved to Augusta in 93 Fort Gordon, as a 12 year old. was born on Army base in Heidelberg Germany. When we got to Augusta our new church Youth Pastor was a huge dawg fan. Used to make analogies about the team and tie them in to biblical messages. Don’t ask. Next thing I know I was watching games with him and his family and a few friends from church. Stuck with me.

• mqg96mqg96 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I was born in Athens and raised in Newnan, which is the same hometown Alec Ogletree came from and my family & I knew him personally growing up. My dad is a UGA alumni of 1989, and he became a UGA fan well before he started college and even high school too.

I became a UGA fan in 2002 which was the perfect time because Mark Richt was in year 2 and we went 13-1, won our first SEC title in 20 years, and we won the BCS Sugar Bowl. 2002 was one of the biggest seasons in the state of Georgia not only for the Dawgs but even the Falcons too when Arthur Blank became owner and Michael Vick got popular when he pulled that upset at Lambeau Field in Green Bay. Years later after I started getting on the internet regularly, I learn that 2002 got UGA out of the dark age of the 90's and 2002 got the Falcons on this unbelievable run we've been on since Arthur Blank became our owner. I became a fan of Georgia sports at the perfect time. 2002 was an exciting year for football in the state of Georgia but also a fun year for me as a little kid too in elementary school when life was still very simple.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As a 12yr old kid born and raised in north Ga that loved football it was Hershel and that 1980 season that done it for me. Been a huge Dawg fan ever since.

• LD10LD10 Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

My older brother took me to the Pittsburgh and Georgia game in 1973. We tied them 7 all that game but some guy #33 ran all over us that day and he was only afreshman. We all wondered who that guy was at the time. My next game was when we beat the Bear 21\0.

• DobroMattInOzDobroMattInOz Posts: 213 ✭✭✭ Junior

My older brother went to UGA and was in the Redcoats, and I got hooked the first time I went to a ballgame to watch him play.

• dawgbybirthdawgbybirth Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2018

Thru my dad who was tightly connected to Georgia. My dad and Dan McGill where roomates on the Georgia tennis team and he was a close friend and financial advisor to the Dooleys and so many more at Georgia. So we have had 6 tickets longer then my 52 years on this earth.
    The only place that is a constant in my life has been those seats at Sanford .My father brought me to my first game ineith 69' or 70' .
    Every game is new, but there are 48 years of connected memories and I am excited for what is about to come.
    My dad has been gone for 10 years, but there is not a game he is not with me that I watch and appreciate Georgia football.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2018

@dawgbybirth I feel that connection to my own Daddy (he passed away close to New Year’s in 2016) through Georgia. My own father was the one for my memories, as he & I shared the deep love for the Georgia Bulldogs!!! He introduced me (when I was just 7) to Georgia on a day when they thumped Clemson 38-0, back in 1970. Thank you for sharing memories of you & your dad. GO DAWGS!!!

• dawgfantipdawgfantip Posts: 259 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@gadawginpa said:
    Best friend growing up in Pennsylvania was a Gators fan so I had to find a way to be competitive. I’ve loved and been following the Dawgs ever since. It’s been 17 years or so and I now make the trip annually to Sanford Stadium.

A dawglove born in the blood of (friendly) gator hatin', don't get any better than that.

• dawgfantipdawgfantip Posts: 259 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Born in the thriving metropolis of Ball Ground in Cherokee County and i can't remember a time that I didn't love my Dawgs. Chose to serve instead of attending UGA and it honestly drives me nuts. I tell my wife constantly that one day I'll use our savings to attend something just to validate myself. Is that crazy ?

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When I was a kid, the primary teams televised were Bama and Notre Dame. Many of my dad’s friends were Bama fans and a few UGA fans. Everywhere I went on game day, they were either watching the game or listening to it on the radio – at that time Bama and UGA were big rivals. I was very young, and at that age with limited ways to see UGA on television, I actually liked Bama. Then I grew up! UGA was pretty damned good too. AND, that’s where I lived – Georgia. LOVED the Dawgs ever since!