Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Final ranking

scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So I was reading Bill King’s piece on the main site on how Dawg fans should be excited for the Sugar Bowl. Not an unexpected take for one of the biggest homers this side of BA but he brought up as one of his reasons that if Georgia wins convincingly and some of the playoff games are blowouts then wait for it....the Dawgs could finish #2 in the final polls!!!

To be fair to him I think he’s more saying that finishing #2 in an off year is great, and I agree that it’s better than the alternative, but outside of that I really don’t care. In the days before the playoff it meant more I suppose but now it’s pretty much the only remnant left of the beauty contest and politics that used to rule college ball. And I don’t really miss them. Now if we had a better than expected season and lost a close one in the NCG then it could be a good talking point and springboard for next year but in this case it really stinks of moral victory to make much out of it if it were to happen. Congrats on NOT playing for it all and other teams losing badly...

I guess y’all know how I feel about the moral victories but I’ve seen others on here share King’s sentiments so who cares and why?

Comments

• Options

I hear ya. To be fair I'd like to see the Dawgs blow out Texass and finish the season on a good note. I just don't really care about the actual ranking as I assume at least top 5 if they don't sleepwalk through the bowl.

It would be nice to finish ranked high but I guess I'm still kinda scared that making a big deal out of finishing #2 would lead to having to hear moral victory stuff or "if we'd been in the playoff we'd have won it all!!" kinda talk from some folks. I really want us as a fanbase to get past that kinda crap.

• Options
    a_rattlera_rattler Posts: 337 ✭✭✭ Junior

Excuse me but UGA has to EARN their championship or bust attitude. I keep pounding this point, but losing a pair of close games to Bama isn't as meaningful as everyone thinks it is. It doesn't automatically make UGA an undisputed elite program.

If UGA doesn't maintain it, build on it and ultimately finish the job then 3-5 years from now it will make all this tough talk look like nonsense. I mean UGA's run so far has been two years. Doesn't anyone realize that? What makes UGA any more accomplished than Chip Kelly's run at Oregon? Or what Lincoln Riley has done at Oklahoma? And isn't this Notre Dame's second undefeated season with that coach?

So er yes. UGA has to win this Sugar Bowl in order to have back to back top 5 finishes for the first time since, well, Herschel. The last time that UGA went two seasons in a row without losing more than 2 games.

Folks who are absolutely convinced that merely playing Alabama tough a couple of times makes them #2 need to step back and think about that. Texas A&M played Bama tough a few years back and even beat them once. Where's that program now? Maybe a little better off than Malzahn and Auburn, whose entire career is based on beating Saban 3 times, once as an OC.

UGA still has a ton to prove and winning the Sugar Bowl against the only Big 12 program that cares about defense - Iowa State doesn't count really - is part of it. Because how many major bowl victories does UGA have the last 30 years again? Beating OU, Hawaii and 5 loss FSU are it right?

So many folks act like UGA has arrived when UGA has accomplished so little. Winning a big postseason game in back to back years for the first time since ... when really? Like that would not mean something for this program.

Get some perspective please!

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The CFP rankings are FINAL. They do not rank again until next year unless they have changed the rules this year.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

rattler:
    If UGA doesn't maintain it, build on it and ultimately finish the job then 3-5 years from now it will make all this tough talk look like nonsense. I mean UGA's run so far has been two years. Doesn't anyone realize that? What makes UGA any more accomplished than Chip Kelly's run at Oregon? Or what Lincoln Riley has done at Oklahoma? And isn't this Notre Dame's second undefeated season with that coach?

Kelly's "run" was in the PAC 12 - hardly comparable to doing it in the SEC. Riley's "run" has been quite good, albeit in the no defense conference they are in. As for ND, they've had some ups and downs under their Kelly green guy. CKS is just starting (as was Riley) and with much greater competition.

• Options
    dawgs18dawgs18 Posts: 183 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2018

@a_rattler said:
    Excuse me but UGA has to EARN their championship or bust attitude. I keep pounding this point, but losing a pair of close games to Bama isn't as meaningful as everyone thinks it is. It doesn't automatically make UGA an undisputed elite program.

So er yes. UGA has to win this Sugar Bowl in order to have back to back top 5 finishes for the first time since, well, Herschel. The last time that UGA went two seasons in a row without losing more than 2 games.

Folks who are absolutely convinced that merely playing Alabama tough a couple of times makes them #2 need to step back and think about that. Texas A&M played Bama tough a few years back and even beat them once. Where's that program now? Maybe a little better off than Malzahn and Auburn, whose entire career is based on beating Saban 3 times, once as an OC.

UGA still has a ton to prove and winning the Sugar Bowl against the only Big 12 program that cares about defense - Iowa State doesn't count really - is part of it. Because how many major bowl victories does UGA have the last 30 years again? Beating OU, Hawaii and 5 loss FSU are it right?

So many folks act like UGA has arrived when UGA has accomplished so little. Winning a big postseason game in back to back years for the first time since ... when really? Like that would not mean something for this program.

Dude you are the most obv troll and an pretty **** one at that - just glad all the ppl around CFB with brains don’t use your logic

• Options

I'm kinda feeling like y'all aren't picking up what I'm putting down. I'm not saying that IMO finishing ranked #2 would be a bad thing. It's just not something that I personally care about much. It's a completely subjective and political beauty contest to me and I just cringe at thinking that some fans might see it as something to brag about. Or worse to hold onto the narrative that the Dawgs got screwed and we showed em!!! Believe me if I thought we got screwed by the committee I'd be pissy too...still think we got screwed by the refs!!!!

I'm also not so jaded that it's #1 or bust to me or that I take finishing in the top 5 for granted...just don't care if it's 2. Last year I'd say finishing #2 after winning the SEC and taking the NCG to the wire was a real accomplishment earned on the field.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RandomFan said:

@a_rattler said:

OK Clemson fan. Thanks for stopping by.

I mean UGA's run so far has been two years. Doesn't anyone realize that? What makes UGA any more accomplished than Chip Kelly's run at Oregon? Or what Lincoln Riley has done at Oklahoma?

If you don't understand the answer to that question, I'm not sure why you are here or what you've been doing with your time here...

@RandomFan that “troll” certainly gets old. Unbelievable to have to spend all that valuable time here in the GEORGIA DAWGNATION!!!

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg said:
    I'm kinda feeling like y'all aren't picking up what I'm putting down. I'm not saying that IMO finishing ranked #2 would be a bad thing. It's just not something that I personally care about much. It's a completely subjective and political beauty contest to me and I just cringe at thinking that some fans might see it as something to brag about. Or worse to hold onto the narrative that the Dawgs got screwed and we showed em!!! Believe me if I thought we got screwed by the committee I'd be pissy too...still think we got screwed by the refs!!!!

I'm also not so jaded that it's #1 or bust to me or that I take finishing in the top 5 for granted...just don't care if it's 2. Last year I'd say finishing #2 after winning the SEC and taking the NCG to the wire was a real accomplishment earned on the field.

I understand what you are saying, and I agree that a moral victory isnt as good as the real thing. However, only one team can finish 1st each year and if it isnt us, then 2nd is better than 3rd, which is better than 4th.......

Also, I think the biggest help to finishing 2nd (if we did) is in recruiting. It makes it easier for the guys on the road to say "Hey look, we are right there", "we are this close and we think you can help us over the top."

For guys like us it's ok, but fullfilling.

• Options
    YK_DAWG24YK_DAWG24 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm bummed that were not in the playoffs like every fan. But I thought that last year was our year and next year I expect us to go
    15-0. With that said I want us to blow out Texas like we're capable of. I don't care if we finish 2,3, or 4th. Clear the bench with Texas

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg Not picking it up because it just sounds like a bunch of fussing and whining. Different people get a kick out of different things. So some people get stoked about the **** end of the year rankings. So what?

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg said:
    I hear ya. To be fair I'd like to see the Dawgs blow out Texass and finish the season on a good note. I just don't really care about the actual ranking as I assume at least top 5 if they don't sleepwalk through the bowl.

It would be nice to finish ranked high but I guess I'm still kinda scared that making a big deal out of finishing #2 would lead to having to hear moral victory stuff or "if we'd been in the playoff we'd have won it all!!" kinda talk from some folks. I really want us as a fanbase to get past that kinda crap.

We don't have a shot at finishing above 4th in my opinion, not that it goes to your point. The worst Bama, Clemson and ND can do is finish with 1 loss, I can't imagine us jumping any of them.

I want to finish as highly as we can though, this goes on our permanent record. Finishing no worse than 4th X years in a row can be a point of pride for many years.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe we will be a top 4 program every year Kirby is our coach. Since he took over, I can think of 2 games where the team never really came to play. This years LSU game and that game against Nicholls in year 1.

When CMR was here, we had a couple “no-show” games every season.

The momentum has continued to build. No way we land Webb 2 years ago.

Change is happening and our time will come. Enjoy the journey.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg said:
    I hear ya. To be fair

We don't have a shot at finishing above 4th in my opinion, not that it goes to your point. The worst Bama, Clemson and ND can do is finish with 1 loss, I can't imagine us jumping any of them.

I can. Many committee members wanted us in the playoffs. If we spank TX, and one of those 4 gets smoked, we finish 3, or 4.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bigcalidawg said:

@scooterdawg said:
    I hear ya. To be fair

I can. Many committee members wanted us in the playoffs. If we spank TX, and one of those 4 gets smoked, we finish 3, or 4.

I think we can get to #3 at best but that is in the AP and Coaches poll only. CFP committee don't rank after bowls.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg said:

I'm with you. The only good a final #2 or #3 ranking might be is for recruiting. Ultimately, I think it matters more to recruits if we beat the brakes off Texas. And I agree--I'm not ready to take this success for granted. We are a much better team top to bottom than in years past and for the first time in a over a decade, I really believe we can at least compete for a MNC. That's more than the vast majority of fan bases can dare to dream.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@a_rattler said:

TLDR

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just want to finish in the Top 5.