Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Natonal Roots Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It was this or National Pfeffernusse Day. I'm trying to cut down on sugar a bit, so I went with Roots Day.

FYI: National Roots Day encourages us to look into our heritage, families, family history, and ancestry. Collecting information about family roots is made easier when families are gathered together during the holiday season. It is entirely possible a grandparent, parent, aunt or uncle has already started a family tree and will share with other family members.

It is often interesting to learn about the lives of our ancestors; where they came from, their struggles, their accomplishments. It is a combination of everyone on the family tree that helps to make the person we are today.

Does anyone have interesting "ancestor" stories to share? My dad was born in Hawaii and his family came from the Portuguese Azore Islands. My mom was born in San Jose, CA and her family came from around Rome, Italy. They evidently knew the way to San Jose. My grandad on my mom's side was one of the workers on the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge. My uncles on my mom's side brought a friend home from a night of drinking and he needed a place to stay, so he stayed with them. He never left and lived with us for over 50 years. Weird, eh?

Comments

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ve been into genealogy for it bit with varying degrees of success. I find it interesting to visit places my ancestors may have walked.

On my Dad’s side of the family our first ancestor was the chamberlain to a Scottish lord during one of the many wars between England and Scotland after England got rid of the Stuarts(who were Scottish originally). He got taken as a POW and the limey bastards sent him to America as an indentured servant for 8 years. Landed in Maryland in 1651 and after working off his “sentence” he did well. His will had several 1000 acres spread over three plantations and a tobacco shipping landing on the Patuxent River, all with bastardized names from Scotland around where he grew up. Innchrifray in Scotland became Anchovie Hills in Maryland.

My part of the family moved to now Columbia county outside of Augusta in the early 1770s and fought in the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. Our old plantation house is still around but my grandfather sold it when I was a kid even though it was supposed to go to my dad and then me. Don’t know what I would have done with a 200+ year old house in the middle of nowhere but it still kinda cheeses me off.

OTOH, I tried looking up my Mom’s side I hit a brick wall with her dad who died when I was a kid. His kids I guess never really knew his family and my grandmother had Alzheimer’s for the last of her life so I never got much from her. I’m pretty sure that my grandfather didn’t come from Germany though, like the fairly recent ancestors of certain American Heroes who shall remain nameless lol. :smiley:

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

My Dad's side, at least the ones that carried the last name, came from Wales in the early 19th century. Dad's mother was a Fuller, which is English and more passengers on The Mayflower were Fullers (Tied with 4 actually) than any other name, though likely no relation to us. My Mom's maiden name was Coburn, which in Scot, her mother's maiden name was Mitchell, which is English. The lines that carried the name sake were all from that one Island off the coast of mainland Europe.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg said:
    I’ve been into genealogy for it bit with varying degrees of success. I find it interesting to visit places my ancestors may have walked.

On my Dad’s side of the family our first ancestor was the chamberlain to a Scottish lord during one of the many wars between England and Scotland after England got rid of the Stuarts(who were Scottish originally). He got taken as a POW and the limey bastards sent him to America as an indentured servant for 8 years. Landed in Maryland in 1651 and after working off his “sentence” he did well. His will had several 1000 acres spread over three plantations and a tobacco shipping landing on the Patuxent River, all with bastardized names from Scotland around where he grew up. Innchrifray in Scotland became Anchovie Hills in Maryland.

My part of the family moved to now Columbia county outside of Augusta in the early 1770s and fought in the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. Our old plantation house is still around but my grandfather sold it when I was a kid even though it was supposed to go to my dad and then me. Don’t know what I would have done with a 200+ year old house in the middle of nowhere but it still kinda cheeses me off.

OTOH, I tried looking up my Mom’s side I hit a brick wall with her dad who died when I was a kid. His kids I guess never really knew his family and my grandmother had Alzheimer’s for the last of her life so I never got much from her. I’m pretty sure that my grandfather didn’t come from Germany though, like the fairly recent ancestors of certain American Heroes who shall remain nameless lol. :smiley:

We all tend to trace back by our last names, but if you go back just 4 generations we have 16 grandparents, each with an equal contribution to our gene pool. Go back 10 generations and every human on Earth has 1102 separate bloodlines that contributed equally to our genetic makeup.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yikes. We could be cousins! I’ll start UV you more frequently!

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One of my ancestors, Philip Delegal, Jr., came to Savannah with James Oglethorpe when he started the Georgia colony. Him and his father were both officers in the Battalion of Foot (Infantry). He was granted Skidaway Island, among other land, from the crown. His grave is on the fairway of the 13th hole of The Landings Palmetto Course on Skidaway Island. He led a troop that built a fort on the south end of St. Simons Island in the late 1730’s, later named Fort Delegal, that was built to protect against invasion from Spanish troops from St. Augustine. My great-grandfather inherited a plantation that one of Philip Delegal, Jr.’s descendants owned in Dorchester, Ga. at the time of the Civil War.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@coastaldawg said:
    One of my ancestors, Philip Delegal, Jr., came to Savannah with James Oglethorpe when he started the Georgia colony. Him and his father were both officers in the Battalion of Foot (Infantry). He was granted Skidaway Island, among other land, from the crown. His grave is on the fairway of the 13th hole of The Landings Palmetto Course on Skidaway Island. He led a troop that built a fort on the south end of St. Simons Island in the late 1730’s, later named Fort Delegal, that was built to protect against invasion from Spanish troops from St. Augustine. My great-grandfather inherited a plantation that one of Philip Delegal, Jr.’s descendants owned in Dorchester, Ga. at the time of the Civil War.

Very interesting. Lots of interesting stories already on this thread. Hope to hear a few more.