Homeβ€Ί Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

It's looking like The Hawks have a solid young core of talent...

2Β»

Comments

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He thinks he's 1 of the top 3 players in history πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚, dude is so delusional. Realistically hes in a grouping of about 20-25 guys after that elite tier of Kareem, Michael and Le Bron IMO. That tier would include guys like Dirk, Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, Tim Duncan, Hakeem Alojuwon, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Dominique Wilkins, Kevin Garnett, and so on." But no baby Im the Mamba, I have 5 championships, I walk like Jordan, talk like Jordan, chew gum like Jordan, use the toilet like Jordan baby! Mamba out!!!!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:
    Anybody else on here thinks Kobe Bryant was overated? He missed more shots than any player in NBA history as he played out his Michael Jordan fantasies, he never, ever shot even 45% from the field or 35% from 3. He was insecure playing with other superstars because it was supposed to b all about him, he was an inefficient high volume gunner who was not as good in the clutch as his reputation suggest. He was profoundly narcissistic and could barely tolerate lesser beings breathing his air. And, uh, just never liked the dude, know what Im sayin?

His effective fg % is lower than most of the top 50 players all time, but he was clutch with games on the line. Contrast his EFG% of under 50% with Steph Curry's 58% and Lebron's 54%. I'm not sure where I'd rank him, Bill Russell had a low shooting %, but he was easily the best defensive player in history, and not just isolated either, he understood team defense better than anybody, plus he was among the best rebounders in history. Kobe was a good but not great passer, a pretty good rebounder, but not exceptional. He was clutch though.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@MeR3htid said:
    Anybody else on here thinks Kobe Bryant was overated? He missed more shots than any player in NBA history as he played out his Michael Jordan fantasies, he never, ever shot even 45% from the field or 35% from 3. He was insecure playing with other superstars because it was supposed to b all about him, he was an inefficient high volume gunner who was not as good in the clutch as his reputation suggest. He was profoundly narcissistic and could barely tolerate lesser beings breathing his air. And, uh, just never liked the dude, know what Im sayin?

His effective fg % is lower than most of the top 50 players all time, but he was clutch with games on the line. Contrast his EFG% of under 50% with Steph Curry's 58% and Lebron's 54%. I'm not sure where I'd rank him, Bill Russell had a low shooting %, but he was easily the best defensive player in history, and not just isolated either, he understood team defense better than anybody, plus he was among the best rebounders in history. Kobe was a good but not great passer, a pretty good rebounder, but not exceptional. He was clutch though.

Yeah, I'm not sure where I'd rank Kobe, obviously he never saw a shot he didn't like, but he was clearly a special talent, sometimes he was asked to take bad shots.

I guess I would start with guys you'd build your team around, then somewhere towards the bottom of that list you'd have Kobe and AI.

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If u asked Kobe and many of his fan boys they would try to convince u that he was better than LeBron, L. Bird, Hakeem Alajuwon and many other Mt Rushmore candidates. But he was not better than Bird IMO. Birds 10 or 11 years in the league was enough of a sample size for me to place him comfortably in the top 10 all time. Bird was a great scorer, passer and rebounder and while he struggled defensively when isolated against volume scorers like Dominique and Bernard King he was a superb team defender. But the reason I would take him over a guy like Kobe is he (Bird) was all about the team being sucessful and I always got the impression that Kobe was all about Kobe and he wanted to win conditionally, the condition being that he had to b the reason that they won which is why the brat ran Shaq off. BECAUSE HE HAD TO B THE CENTER OF ATTENTION. Easily one of my least favorite players in league history and thats a very short list. Bill Laimbeer (Because of his dirty play. Especially against my Hawks), Showbe BryantπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Karl Malone (He seriously tried to hurt guys). Those r my 3 least favorite players in league history.

• Options
    BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@BiffLowman said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@BiffLowman said:
    Thoughts about it:

1. We will never be able to bring in an elite player to lead them, much like the Horford/Smith/Teague years. Frustrating.
    2. I wouldn't call Baze "young" any longer. He is also on the trading block.
    3. I am cautiously optimistic about where we could be in a couple of years!
    4. Taureen Prince is coming back. Don't forget him!

I was hoping to tank a little more than what they are showing right now. Just need to hope to get lucky in the lottery or make another Collins type pick.
    As for Collins, watch him recently and he is looking beastly.

He has been a stud as of late. This season is starting to mirror what we have done in past seasons in regards to the lottery versus the playoffs: good (or bad) enough to be there but not good (or bad) enough to make an impact.

Just reread that. Confusing, I know. It makes since in my head though.

I get it Biff. If you are going to tank, do a first rate job of it. Tank badly enough to get a top 2 or 3 pick, or at least a better shot at a top pick. If you are going to s.u.c.k do a first rate job of it. Don't do anything half-arsed.

You are correct. Thanks.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@BiffLowman said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@BiffLowman said:
    Thoughts about it:

1. We will never be able to bring in an elite player to lead them, much like the Horford/Smith/Teague years. Frustrating.
    2. I wouldn't call Baze "young" any longer. He is also on the trading block.
    3. I am cautiously optimistic about where we could be in a couple of years!
    4. Taureen Prince is coming back. Don't forget him!

I was hoping to tank a little more than what they are showing right now. Just need to hope to get lucky in the lottery or make another Collins type pick.
    As for Collins, watch him recently and he is looking beastly.

He has been a stud as of late. This season is starting to mirror what we have done in past seasons in regards to the lottery versus the playoffs: good (or bad) enough to be there but not good (or bad) enough to make an impact.

Just reread that. Confusing, I know. It makes since in my head though.

I get it Biff. If you are going to tank, do a first rate job of it. Tank badly enough to get a top 2 or 3 pick, or at least a better shot at a top pick. If you are going to s.u.c.k do a first rate job of it. Don't do anything half-arsed.

It's complicated by having a core of young players who need to be trained the right way though. Often programs like Phoenix's that tank every year get caught in the cycle. They are in their 4th year of tanking and they have the worst record in the league.