Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Anybody offended by

Comments

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Ievander said:
    The world we live in, ladies and gentlemen. Plenty of men, I think, understand how to treat women with respect and general civility. These ads are insulting; anybody who doesn't think this is a political statement by Gillette is a fool, blind, or so far left-leaning that they can't see why this would upset the more rational among us. I have raised my children to be respectful of adults and kind to others. I don't need to sit down my boy and explain to him explicitly why it's bad to assault or abuse somebody. He understands right and wrong from the actions of the adults around him. Fathers need to lead by example, instill good Christian values in our children, and for God's sake, end this softening of American society.

The message in the Gillette ad is perfectly fine, if not even socially responsible. The backlash is because Gillette attached it to the pantywaste release put out by the American Psychological Association from the previous day. That’s what makes it political. The timing was not coincidental.

• Options
    sauceddawgsauceddawg Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

Obviously a dumb commercial that was at worst mildly irritating to some folks invalidates the entire liberal ideology. You win, Trump.

• Options
    AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am not offended by the commercial because my parents taught me to treat females (and males) with respect at an early age. I taught those same values to my sons at an early age.

I am concerned that there is a growing number of women who espouse hatred towards males (Some of the leadership involved in the women’s march).

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BamaDawg said:

@benjaminwgregg said:
    I just think its funny how its the same people who call everyone snowflakes who flip out over a razor ad, a starbucks cup, or a kneeling quarterback

Funny how? Funny Haha or funny Hum? Is it funny that people have opinions about things that you may seem irrelevant?

What's funny is that 20 years ago no one would have given 2 sh..its about it. But unfortunately we are now living in a world where you almost have to choose sides on everything.

To me what's funny is that everyone can not see that.

We don’t see it because it’s a **** idea. I haven’t even bothered to watch this commercial. You really don’t have to take a side.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Casanova_Flatulence said:

I'm tired of being lectured to by the Left! The images of men's behavior was absolutely pathetic and insulting. I wouldn't accept Gillette razors if they offered me a lifetime supply for free.

I would. They make good blades.

• Options
    Stingray2112Stingray2112 Posts: 132 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just get a Merkur safety razor and blades and don't be an a-hole to people and you're covered on both counts. I moved to the safety razor and have never looked back. Better shave and way cheaper.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Stingray2112 said:
    What is wrong with a message that it's not ok to be a punk? If you don't think that kid's learn this hyper masculine bullying behavior from adults you are kidding yourself. I teach high school and see this every day. What is wrong with a company sending the message that we are better than that?

And why are we discussing this on a sports message board?

Bullying is not limited to males, or young males. Females have it too. Had a co-worker whose daughter was bullied by another girl and her mother. The bullied girl was intelligent, pretty, fit, personable, articulate (nothing to see here) and an athlete - would have made a perfect sports caster - but had "something" in her mind, etc., that made her susceptible to the crap being said to her.

Only objection I have to the commercial is the phrase "toxic masculinity". "Toxic femininity" wouldn't go down well. Plus as you say, kids don't necessarily learn this from adults. Emory Magazine has an article in the current edition pointing to very young onset of various bad behaviors and inclinations. We had to have some of this to survive the (choice here) last 60,000 or 6,000 years. Things like clan loyalty and depending on those like us to be safe. Now being in nation-states, those same characteristics can be detrimental to the larger group.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most of the commercial is pretty meh. The biggest problem is they paint the narrative that the extreme is the norm. The left is notorious for this. It's the dishonesty that drives me away from them in most cases.

• Options

@Stingray2112 said:
    What is wrong with a message that it's not ok to be a punk? If you don't think that kid's learn this hyper masculine bullying behavior from adults you are kidding yourself. I teach high school and see this every day. What is wrong with a company sending the message that we are better than that?

And why are we discussing this on a sports message board?

1. This is an off topic post.
    2. Nothing is wrong with that message. The problem is they are insinuating this is how most men act.
  • Options

@BigDawgEatin said:
    Trump had both parents and he is a beta male. He is part of the reason to need a commercial such as this.

You think Trump is a beta male? Ummm....

• Options

@Ievander said:
    The world we live in, ladies and gentlemen. Plenty of men, I think, understand how to treat women with respect and general civility. These ads are insulting; anybody who doesn't think this is a political statement by Gillette is a fool, blind, or so far left-leaning that they can't see why this would upset the more rational among us. I have raised my children to be respectful of adults and kind to others. I don't need to sit down my boy and explain to him explicitly why it's bad to assault or abuse somebody. He understands right and wrong from the actions of the adults around him. Fathers need to lead by example, instill good Christian values in our children, and for God's sake, end this softening of American society.

@levander said:

@BamaDawg said:

@benjaminwgregg said:
    I just think its funny how its the same people who call everyone snowflakes who flip out over a razor ad, a starbucks cup, or a kneeling quarterback

Funny how? Funny Haha or funny Hum? Is it funny that people have opinions about things that you may seem irrelevant?

What's funny is that 20 years ago no one would have given 2 sh..its about it. But unfortunately we are now living in a world where you almost have to choose sides on everything.

To me what's funny is that everyone can not see that.

We don’t see it because it’s a **** idea. I haven’t even bothered to watch this commercial. You really don’t have to take a side.

There's two of you!?

• Options
    WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I thought the commercial was great. I'm a coach so I see a lot of kids who don't have the stability at home to learn what it means to be a respectful man, husband, father, or in their case boyfriend. The more ads we can have that expose them to examples of responsible behavior, the better. Of course the ideal is they have a father that leads by example in the home, but unfortunately there are many who don't have that example. I think whatever ads, media, etc that can at least magnify what good male role models are showing them in the real world can only benefit their view of women and how to treat people in general. So no, not offended at all by the commercial, and certainly didn't come away from it feeling my masculinity was attacked.

• Options
    rocco4UGArocco4UGA Posts: 249 ✭✭✭ Junior

@RxDawg said:

There's two of you!?

I noticed that a few days ago and thought I was hallucinating.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@rocco4UGA said:
    @RxDawg said:

There's two of you!?

I noticed that a few days ago and thought I was hallucinating.

Levander has at least 3 accounts

• Options
    sauceddawgsauceddawg Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

@RoyGaff said:
    I don't use a razor.

A demon of industrial society right? lol

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

@dawgitimafan said:

@Kasey said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    Sure they may have had an appropriate message, not that I think it’s their job to give that message

But then they contradict it with stuff like this

I wanna get one of these outfits for my girlfriend...wonder if she’d go for it

They sell them at home Depot, blue can of spray paint and some stencils.

🤔 are you sure it’s not latex or pvc?