Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Is Giannis the best big athlete in NBA history ?...

Comments

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Thelordjohnson said:
    A guy who probably is the best athlete LeBron James (6'9 245-275), Magic Johnson, Zion Williamson soon enough, and a guy who died Len Bias.

Nice of you to mention Bias. Such a loss. He was the only guy I ever saw who was (maybe) in the same league as MJ.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Haven’t seen Kevin Durant mentioned, unless I missed it. Almost 7 foot with long wingspan and can play like a PG/SG if needed.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for the thread WC. I don't follow the NBA closely so I pulled up a highlight reel for Giannis Antetokounmpo to see what you meant, and he's definitely something else. Fun to watch.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@LOR said:
    Shawn Kemp is in the conversation somewhere. I’d also say Kevin Garnett.

I’m terms of footwork, nimbleness and touch I’d go with Olajuwon.

I’d say Hakeem, Sean Kemp, T-Mac, and Michael Finley could fly for a big man.

Ive never seen Simmons, or Giannis play in person, but they are ridiculous, too.

On another note, imagine Zion as a TE, or make him drop weight and put him at wideout.

• Options
    LincolnParkDawgLincolnParkDawg Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Giannis is a beast and what a great story he is!

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

T-Mac and Michael Findley weren't bigs. Unless everyone else in the league were Isaih Thomas like in stature. 😂😂😂😂😂

• Options

Michael Finley I'm sorry.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:
    T-Mac and Michael Findley weren't bigs. Unless everyone else in the league were Isaih Thomas like in stature. 😂😂😂😂😂

If the discussion moves to athletes without qualifications, Russell Westbrook should be on every short list, like very short list. If he could shoot he'd be the greatest player ever. Nobody had averaged a triple double for a season since Oscar Robertson, Westbrook has done it 2 straight years and his triples usually come while scoring 30 or more.

• Options

@MeR3htid said:
    Michael Finley I'm sorry.

That Maude Finley chick was tall.

• Options

Agreed, never thought of it but if. Westbrook could shoot even league average from 3 he'd b in the G.O.A.T. debate.

• Options

Unbelievable!!! A large chorus of Atlanta Hawks fans shouted "Kobe's better at Le Bron James when the Hawks hosted the Lakers tonight. Don't know if it happened pre-game, post-game or whenever but 1 things for SURE is that Kobe Bryant was not a BETTER Basketball player during his days, than LeBron James is and has been for his entire career which is ongoing. Fact.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

back in the day, Wilt was thought of as a great athlete. He was pretty adept at high jumping and the 400m dash - on many of his teams he was the fastest guy. He was, of course, quite strong, as well. A very good all around athlete. Not sure how he'd compare to today's big guys.

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

Some 12 yr old kid sitting at home studying James Harden will b the 1 to break Wilts record so we may all have to hang around a while longer to witness it. Harden is seemingly well on his way to being the best guard to ever play the game with apologies to Oscar, Magic, MJ, Kobe and others.

• Options
    Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Roy Tarpley was the most athletic 7 footer I ever saw in person...what a shame his career was ruined by drugs!

• Options

And while Michael Jordan was a great athlete and the greatest guard ever he is not the BEST player ever. Best Guard to date? Yes, with room to spare. Best player ever? NO. That would b Kareem or LeBron to date with Jordan probably a distant 3rd.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

Lol at Lebron better than MJ. Kareem I don't think is quite there either. Kareem played 20 seasons versus Jordan's 15. Which gives him an edge on some stats.

• Options

Wilt would be a superior athlete and player today. Too much is made of the differences in today's athletes. Wilt was 7' 2'', 275lb and he had a 7' 8'' wingspan.

• Options

MeR, Harden is very inefficient. He shoots a low percentage and he might lead the NBA in turning the ball over.

His assists to turnovers ratio is worse than Trae Young's.

• Options

Speaking of Trae Young, 22-14-6. Folks Doncic should have been the pick, but that doesn't mean we don't have a winner in Young. Can't wait to c how Shlenk fills out the roster around He, Collins and Huerter.