Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Is Giannis the best big athlete in NBA history ?...

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not sure picking Doncic would have been better than Trae and whoever we get with the pick from Dallas.

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I dont think we'll b lucky enough to get him but R.J. Barrett would b a perfect fit alongside Collins, Young, and Huerter, a dynamic volume scoring TRUE SF that can create his own shot on demand without having someone set the table for him.

• Options

The Hawks will likely pick between 3rd and 7th with their pick, an 6th to 13th with the pick from Dallas. Barrett will likely go 2nd to 5th.

• Options

Exactly, but we're due for some Ping Pong ball luck so we'll c.

• Options
    dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LeBron is getting older and a little thicker, in his younger days here was every bit the athlete Giannis is now, albeit without the length and wingspan, pure athlete I think wesbrook has to be in the conversation.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Am I remembering correctly that the Hawks actually drafted Giannis but traded his rights to Milwaukee that same draft night?

• Options

dawgtimafan. Lebron is still a great athlete, and his basketball IQ is very high as well.

Giannis is a bit different, his agility for such a big athlete is off the charts, plus he has PG like skills.

• Options

Probably, I'm just saying you can't compare 34 year old LeBron with 24 year old Giannis.

• Options

I agree, and Lebron was still the best big game player in The NBA as recently as last year. Another comparison is Lebron has taken several otherwise below .500 teams to the finals. Giannis currently has The Bucks with the best record in The NBA, remove him and they would probably be below .500. As great as Anthony Davis is, he does not elevate his team beyond his own stats.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don’t know if anyone mentioned but David Robinson was pretty smooth for a 7 footer.

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wilt was the best athlete I ever saw. Not only was he one of the greatest basketball players. He was a world class 1/4 miler ~ 46 sec and shot putter ~ 60 feet as a college sophomore . After he retired from Basketball he became a great beach volleyball player.

• Options
    UGAdawg2006UGAdawg2006 Posts: 39 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2019

I can’t wrap my head around this. This can’t possibly be coming from someone that watched these three players play during their eras. No way someone could have watched Jordan actually play all through the 90s and say he’s DISTANT 3rd?!

I guess it’s all subjective but I don’t believe there has been a player like Jordan, where everyone watching pretty much knew deep down he was going to win. Everytime.

• Options

UGAdawg, but Jordan didn't win every time. The player who came closest to doing so was Bill Russell, he is my pick for greatest all time. Jordan was without doubt among the greatest ever, and for pure dynamic and entertaining ability he probably was the best ever.

• Options
    TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Zion could gain 30 pbs and be the best LT in football......forget wideout or TE.

• Options
    UGAdawg2006UGAdawg2006 Posts: 39 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bill Russell definitely is in the conversation as well. As I get older, I am trying to stay away from these types of comparisons. I’m trying to appreciate these guys while we can watch them. Goes for all the sports I watch (football,baseball, tennis). The game is always changing and the level of athlete/competition continues to get higher. It’s impossible to know how each player would look in different situations.

Jordan to me is the greatest athlete of all time, during the 90s he was as dominant as any player. Like the Patriots or Alabama (but to a higher level), people always assumed he was going to do whatever it takes to win. His last 6 FULL seasons in Chicago: 6 nba finals, 6 Finals MVP, 6 championships, no game 7 ever needed. That’s so dominant when considering the level of great players in the 90s is arguably as high as ever in history.

• Options

As for Zion Williamson, the guy is so unique it's hard for me to come to a conclusion about his NBA potential. I do think he's going to have to drop some weight to hold up to the 82 game schedule while playing such a kinetic brand of basketball. My guess is he'll end up from 260lb to 270lb, which might make him even more dynamic.

• Options

And for the record there were 9 seasons during Jordans career where his team didn't win the Championship. The reason? Those TEAMS weren't good enough. Whenever I hear people say Jordan was the greatest based off of the 6 Championships I always remind them that this isnt Golf or Tennis, this (Basketball) is a TEAM sport when other individuals influence the outcome of the game. Therefore to say he (Jordan) has 6 titles is to disrespect the contributions of Scottie Pippen, Horace Grant, Dennis Rodman, Bill Cartwright, Luc Longley, Steve Kerr, Toni Kukoc, Ron Harper, Will Purdue, Stacy King, John Paxson and others. The reason LeBrons teams have not won more Championships is, with the Miami years being the exception, they have not been the better TEAMS in those Matchups. He wasnt favored in any of those 4 finals series with Golden State and PREDICTABLY they lost 3 out of the 4. When he was with Wade and Bosh in Miami 2013'14 San Antonio was the Superior TEAM and thats why they beat the Heat, not because LeBron lacks anything, San Antonio was the better TEAM in the previous season as well but LeBron found a way to will his team to victory ANYWAY. If u were to put together an ALL TIME All NBA Team, u want to build that team around LeBron James. Any version of James other than the 18 year old sraight from HS Rookie version would do, and thats why he's the real G.O.A.T., a title that for now he has to share with Kareem. And then there's Mike and everyone else.

• Options
    edited February 2019

To me everyone is a product of their era, while Jordan is proclaimed as the goat he sure as heck wouldn't be as valuable In today's game. Centers drop in the draft if they can't shoot threes, a two guard that can't shoot threes is drops alot. Not counting 7 ft freaks like Simmons or Giannis, who also got drafted lower than he should have based on his inability to shoot. Now some will point out that he shot a decent percentage late in his career and I will point out that the NBA moved the three point line much closer during that period. Now, let the DVs roll in.