Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

GOAT Dinner

Comments

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

@volatilis said:
    Tiger Woods
    Dr J
    Mickey Mantle
    Herschel
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Pele
    Joe Montana
    Cal Ripken
    Jerry Rice
    Pistol Pete

Was waiting for someone to mention Pistol. I mean he is only the best basketball player to hit the floor

The only other one that hasn’t been mentioned would be Roger aka the man DeCoster

I guess also with Munson if it’s just cigars, a little whiskey, and on the backporch rocking chairs

• Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Magic Johnson
    Kobe
    Jake Fromm

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

Barry Sanders has to be in. Also Mike Tyson. Jim Thorpe. Bo Jackson. Maybe even Deon Sanders.

Otherwise decent enough list.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

@Tdub0199 said:
    Herschel Walker
    Michael Jordan
    Goldberg
    Dale Murphy
    Evander Holyfield
    Dominique Wilkins
    Dale Earnhardt Sr.
    Chuck Lidell
    Julio Jones
    Tony Hawk

Nice mention of Tony Hawk. 100% agree.

Might as well add Shaun White too. If you will die with one slip up in your sport, you're pretty good in my book.

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bigcalidawg said:

@BamaDawg said:
    So, let's say that you can have dinner with 10 sports GOATs, who would they be (dead or alive)? The ONLY rule is that they can't come from the same position, i.e... Pitchers, 3rd baseman, QBs, etc......

So here is mine (in no specific order):

1. Nolan Ryan
    2. Wilt Chamberlain
    3. Wayne Gretzky
    4. Hershel Walker
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Michael Jordan
    7. Mia Hamm
    8. Michael Phelps
    9. Andre The Giant
    10. Babe Ruth

Can we change the list, so it’s just athletes, and not GOATS?

The idea was your idea of GOATs to have dinner with. But you can put who u want.

• Options
    kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019
    • Maddux
    • Walter Payton
    • Willy Mays
    • Boog Powell
    • The Oz
    • Chipper
    • Muhammad Ali
    • Champ Bailey
    • Hammerin' Hank
    • Spud Webb

@BamaDawg - Nice thread. I almost started one the other day (since spring training is about to start) that asks: who would be your all-time top-5 starting rotation. Also, someone mentioned a request to change from GOAT to athletes we would like to have dinner with...I sorta agree because the GOAT label is highly debatable. I had a difficult time deciding this list, but had a great time putting it together. I could argue with an ashtray about who was best at each position/sport if I had to. Again, great thread.

BTW - I met Nolan Ryan back when I was waiting tables at Del Frisco's in Fort Worth and asked him about the thing w/ Ventura and he did not like that one bit. Still tipped like a Hall of Famer, though. Kudos.

• Options
    DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

@BamaDawg -- Andre the Giant is a great call.

Serena Williams
    Champ Bailey
    Bobby Poss (David Andrews is a close 2nd at center after watching parade highlights from the other day)
    **** [EDIT: W00dy is censored] Harrelson (as Roy Munson, not Billy Hoyle)
    Dominique
    Misty May-Treanor
    Bill Walton
    Chuck Yaeger
    Gary Player
    Jack Baurle

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@kelly_b said:

• Maddux
    • Walter Payton
    • Pee Wee Reese
    • Boog Powell
    • The Oz
    • Chipper
    • Muhammad Ali
    • Champ Bailey
    • Hammerin' Hank
    • Spud Webb

@BamaDawg - Nice thread. I almost started one the other day (since spring training is about to start) that asks: who would be your all-time top-5 starting rotation.

That might be a good one. I’ll start thinking on it for when you do.

@DirtDawg said:
    @BamaDawg -- Andre the Giant is a great call.

Serena Williams
    Champ Bailey
    Bobby Poss (David Andrews is a close 2nd at center after watching parade highlights from the other day)
    **** [EDIT: W00dy is censored] Harrelson (as Roy Munson, not Billy Hoyle)
    Dominique
    Misty May-Treanor
    Bill Walton
    Chuck Yaeger
    Gary Player
    Jack Baurle

Bill Walton makes me think of Keith Olbermann. Can’t stand to hear either speaking.

I’m not putting anyone dead on a list of people I’d like to meet.

• Options
    edited February 2019

@Bankwalker = by the way, I edited my list because I screwed up and put Pee Wee Reese on the same list w/ Oz, so I removed Reese. So my post got revised.

• Options

@Bankwalker - Not being redundant here because I needed you not to miss it:

Oh yeah, and another thing. the all-time starting rotation list is an EXTREMELY difficult list to make because there are only 5. Do you put Walter Johnson on it over Ryan? Do we restrict it to a certain era? We should think it through.

• Options
    ArchDawg90ArchDawg90 Posts: 46 ✭✭✭ Junior

Michael Jordan
    Tom Brady
    Tiger Woods
    Shaq
    Dale Sr.
    Michael Phelps
    Sting (WWE, not the musical artist)
    Coach K
    Roger Federer
    Chipper Jones
    Yogi Berra

• Options

@ArchDawg90 said:
    Michael Jordan
    Tom Brady
    Tiger Woods
    Shaq
    Dale Sr.
    Michael Phelps
    Coach K
    Roger Federer
    Chipper Jones
    Yogi Berra

OH MAN - how could I have forgotten Yogi??? Can you imagine that? It would be awesome. God knows what would he say.

• Options
    ArchDawg90ArchDawg90 Posts: 46 ✭✭✭ Junior

@kelly_b said:

@ArchDawg90 said:
    Michael Jordan
    Tom Brady
    Tiger Woods
    Shaq
    Dale Sr.
    Michael Phelps
    Coach K
    Roger Federer
    Chipper Jones
    Yogi Berra

OH MAN - how could I have forgotten Yogi??? Can you imagine that? It would be awesome. God knows what would he say.

I know! I would sit between Yogi and Shaq for sure! The stories and jokes would be endless!

• Options
    edited February 2019

And I want Anna Kournikova to be the hostess at my dinner.

I want Anna Kournikova to be....lol, sorry, couldn't help it.

• Options

I know! I would sit between Yogi and Shaq for sure! The stories and jokes would be endless!

Nobody was better for a quote than Yogi. Really, I should go back and put him on my list but I'll just leave it be as it is...but yeah, even though I hardly drink anymore, I would have to have a few beers and sit there with a grin on my face and just crack up.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@kelly_b said:

• Maddux
    • Walter Payton
    • Willy Mays
    • Boog Powell
    • The Oz
    • Chipper
    • Muhammad Ali
    • Champ Bailey
    • Hammerin' Hank
    • Spud Webb

@BamaDawg - Nice thread. I almost started one the other day (since spring training is about to start) that asks: who would be your all-time top-5 starting rotation. Also, someone mentioned a request to change from GOAT to athletes we would like to have dinner with...I sorta agree because the GOAT label is highly debatable. I had a difficult time deciding this list, but had a great time putting it together. I could argue with an ashtray about who was best at each position/sport if I had to. Again, great thread.

BTW - I met Nolan Ryan back when I was waiting tables at Del Frisco's in Fort Worth and asked him about the thing w/ Ventura and he did not like that one bit. Still tipped like a Hall of Famer, though. Kudos.

Love the Boog Powell mention, and count me in on the pitching rotation thread.

• Options

@AnotherDawg - I'm working on how to do it right, but it's coming soon since spring approaches. What are your thoughts? Should we restrict it to eras? For example, can you really put Walter Johnson in a rotation w/ Maddux who pitched during the steroid era? I'm open to all suggestion before prematurely starting the thread.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And OH, BTW I completely forgot I also want to have BOTH Larry Munson, AND also Skip Caray there at that table too!!!! In each of their respective broadcast worlds, each of these two sports broadcasting legends gave me some of my VERY BEST MEMORIES EVER in my entire lifetime, that I continue to cherish to this very day (the recordings are all in my own head of course). However, I can STILL hear SO MANY of each of their "calls" of GREAT GEORGIA BULLDOGS, and The Atlanta Braves WINS too!!!

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@kelly_b said:
    @AnotherDawg - I'm working on how to do it right, but it's coming soon since spring approaches. What are your thoughts? Should we restrict it to eras? For example, can you really put Walter Johnson in a rotation w/ Maddux who pitched during the steroid era? I'm open to all suggestion before prematurely starting the thread.

Your call, but I wouldn't overthink it. Keeping it simple would generate the most responses and probably lead to good discussions about the very issues you're mentioning.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Greg Maddux
    Pele
    Wayne Gretzky
    Hershel Walker
    Bjorn Borg
    Michael Jordan
    Mia Hamm
    Jim Thorpe
    Jackie Robinson
    Babe Ruth