Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Best Grilled Cheese Sammich....

As mentioned in another thread, just seems right to post the best grilled cheese sammich you've made.

The classic being 2 slices of bread and a slice of cheddar cheese. This, in my cookbook has evolved some what.....

I lived off these things in college. It was simple, put a slice a cheese between two slices of bread and throw it in a teflon pan. Flip it when one side was burning. Yeah College! After I graduated and learned a little better art of cooking, I started applying butter to both sides of the bread. Chef-boy-ar-genious I am. Years later I added Mayo. I danced like MJ walking on the moon. And then the ultimate, Tomato Soup!! All I had left in the pantry and fridge. 2 slices of bread, a can of tomato soup, 1 slice of cheese, butter and mayo. I consulted with Mr. Bong and had my dinner. Grilled Cheese Sammich and Tomato Soup. Dipped the sammich in the soup and the rest was history.

With all that nonsense said, let us know your favorite grilled cheese sammich. One of my favs......

Spicy Grilled Slap Happy:

Regular sliced Sour Dough bread (2 slices)

Butter

Chipotle Mayo

Pepper Jack Cheese

Pickled Jalapeno

Prepare sammich by spreading chipotle mayo on inner sides of sour dough bread. Place a slice of pepper jack on each slice. Put desired amount of jalapeno on one side. Close sammich. Butter top half of bread. Melt dollop of butter in teflon pan. Once melted, place sammich in pan non buttered side down. Cook until brown and flip. Cook until your ready but don't set off smoke detectors....

Enjoy!

Comments

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

Woah ghost bro... I missed that thread, but I’m down with some grilled cheese. Similar to yours, but always go back to 2 slices of cheddar, buttered sour dough, flip when crisp.... excuse me flip in the skillet. I don’t do mayo or tomato soap. I had mayo and tomato sandwiches to much as kid that I want no part of mayo anymore. Ate tomato soap when I was sick once and it made things worse. Again want no part of that either.

However, dipping the sandwich in some broccoli and cheese soap makes the heart flutter.

Everynow and then I mess with different cheeses and bread, but always come back to the original my mom made. I tried a grilled cheese cook off once and was blown away by what some came up with. Tried and true for me always hits the spot.

EDIT - butter on the bread always

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Took me a while to learn the butter the bread first trick. It's a game changer.

In the movie Chef, Jon Favreau makes a grilled cheese that looks incredible. Here's the link bc I don't know how to post youtube videos in this new format...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdh5E5P-FfA

• BiggerBadDawgBiggerBadDawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love the buttered sourdough with a slice of cheddar, provolone and american. Not sure if y’all have tried adding a lil shredded cheddar to the outside of bread but, it’s pretty tasty with a bowl of chili or my favorite is the homemade loaded potato soup. Just saying!

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

No special story with a cheese sammich. But growing up, a special Saturday treat would be to prepare a cheese and (some kind of deli/Oscar Meyer) meat between two slices of bread, and put it this contraption, trim the edges with a knife, and grill it over the gas stove burner.

The bread was toasty and the cheese gooey. Kid delight.

Here's what the whole thing looks like. Can still find them.

I do not get a promo fee for this. But will accept donations.

• OldSaltyDawgFanOldSaltyDawgFan Posts: 220 ✭✭✭ Junior

On Amazon for only $29.95

Toas-Tite 79357 Aluminum Sandwich Grill 15 1/2 x 4 3/4 x1 1/2 Silver

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Post videos and other interwebz links via the Embed button. That is the second button from the right, next to the paperclip. I posted a YT video doing this and for the first time, got the 'preview' screen to show - made no other changes to how I did it in the past with no success before. Progress IS DN's most important product!

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm a fan of grilled cheese, and I'm also a huge fan of hotdogs. There is a place in Brevard, NC called Rocky's Soda Fountain. They take Hebrew National dogs and pimento cheese into a folded slice of bread and the grill the buttered dogs and cheese in the bread. One of the best things in life!

Dawgsauce bro don’t even get me started on hotdogs. I’m trying to wind down for the night. Between the grilled cheese thread and now hotdogs... I need to step away and gather myself. Big day tomorrow, but yes, a hotdog thread is needed

I got you at some point this week. I will make the good heaven sent original grilled cheese.

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've started a couple at least in the past. My first one was the 2nd or 3rd thread ever on this forum. I didn't really get too many responses any of the times and just figured my love for hotdogs was like wearing diapers fetish; either nobody else does it or they don't want to admit it. And... for the record, I haven't worn diapers since I was weaned off of em' when I was just a little pooper. I'm a big pooper now.

Hahaha. I must’ve missed then. We and maybe it’s just you and I, need a hotdog thread. All about them and top 5 favorite meal to eat.

Wow ghost bro.... I’m going to see what the wife is doing.

good night bros & broettes

• BiggerBadDawgBiggerBadDawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ghostofuga1

What’ll you have

What’ll you have??

Add the frosted Orange and winner winner!!

• DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

Still love the original yaller cheese, and mayo, but for a nice alternative try substituting with a good Pimento cheese like Pawleys Island, Palmetto Cheese with Jalapenos.

And of course the tomato soup has to be made with whole milk. (a little basil added is also supreme)

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey, Chef is one of my favorite movies. Saw it at the theatre shortly after my divorce and I had to wait til the credits were finished so people wouldn't see me crying. (Not that it's a crying movie. Just sayin'.)

I grew up on grilled cheeses and in a blue collar family that meant two slices of Sunbeam white bread, one Kraft single, and a couple of pats of Land O' Lakes butter. My mother taught me how to make them at age 7 so I could feed myself when I was hungry.

These days I use fresh-baked multigrain bread, President, Plugra, or Kerrygold butter, and a combination of cheeses (Muenster is essential, the others are optional- Colby, Swiss, Monterey Jack, whatever you like).

Bacon and/or fresh sliced tomatoes are certainly good options.

The trick to a good grilled cheese is getting the cheese to melt fully without burning the bread, and when you add additional ingredients it's that much more demanding. I use all sorts of tricks with heat changes and lids and well-timed flips to try to get it just right.

• allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ghostofuga1 try this to kick your grilled cheese up a notch. Grate up a bunch of cheddar cheese and American cheese and melt 3 tablespoons of cream cheese in the microwave. Mix the 3 cheeses together and make your grilled cheese with a slice of American and a slice of Swiss with the 3 cheese spread. Put more grated cheddar on the sammie and then grill it like normal. Sooooo delish with tomato soup!

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To @FirePlugDawg's point, here's the video @Kasey was referencing, and which I agree is pretty inspiring when it comes to grilled cheeses.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Whole wheat and quality cheddar grilled with butter. Add a kosher dill and hash browns..enjoy.