Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Best Grilled Cheese Sammich....

2»

Comments

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love a good quality Gouda cheese, sliced dill pickle, onion and thin sliced (fresh) tomato. Add only a little salt and pepper. Grill to golden using real butter.

For my emergency accompaniment, condensed canned tomato soup (only when I got nothing better), made with milk instead of water, and basil, black pepper to taste.

• Options
    kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This thread cracks me up. I just go classic. Chunk of butter in the pan until it bubbles, two slices of American cheese between either white or wheat, place the bread in the skillet and swirl it around with your fingers so that the entire surface of the bread is covered w/ butter. Cook until golden brown. Flip and repeat (butter too). Done.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To be safe, one should make a small cut in the finished sammie to let the steam out. Also, someone could make this a commercial deal, not as a main product but as an add-on, especially if breakfast business is slow. Would need to have the "small cut" built into the extraction process (flipping it out of the device), rather than relying on teen help to remember to do it.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

Listen up people.

Only heathens and moo-rons, (you read correctly, moo, as in pertaining to bovine cuisine) would contaminate a quality product such as fine cheddar with mayo...gads !

1. Preferred bread, mine is wheat.
    2. Quality sharp cheddar.
    3. Real butter.
    4. I prefer a cast iron pan. Preheat, melt butter, add sammich with cheddar sliced to preferred thickness, move around in pan so the butter is equally distributed. when one side is brown to taste, lift the sammich with a spatula. Add fresh butter, let melt, lower sammich into pan move around to distribute butter evenly, brown to taste, remove to plate.
    5. I like mine with a crisp claussen kosher dill and hash browns.
  • Options
    dawghousedawghouse Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

I grew up on the traditional version of the grilled cheese — two pieces of buttered white bread with Kraft single(s) on the inside, grilled golden on both sides. Over the years I would still make it that way to satisfy my comfort itch, but most of the time I would make them with an upgraded bread/cheese and would also add a slice of ham and tomato, and hit it with a little bit of black pepper too.

Then one day I ran across the below recipe. My first reaction to seeing it was — you’re kidding, right? This is sacrilegious. Not to mention a little too “uptown” for my comfort wants with grilled cheeses. But the twist with this recipe never left my memory so eventually I decided to give it a try. My wife and kids (and I) loved the grilled cheeses so much we’ve never made them any other way since then:

• Two thick (1/2”-5/8”) slices of sourdough bread that has a good crust to it.
    • The recipe had called for Taleggio cheese (melts/tastes great), but over the years I’ve also swapped in Gruyere or unsmoked Gouda.
    • I’m a LOW MED heat guy when I make grilled cheeses, I like ‘em golden with a crunch, but not burnt.
    • OK here’s the wacky part — when you take it off the grill drizzle one side REALLY LIGHTLY with honey and then LIGHTLY sprinkle sea salt or kosher salt across the top of the honey (too much honey or salt will ruin it, so be careful with it).

The hard crust of the sourdough, a great tasting cheese that melts really good, and the very light combo of sweet/salty on one side of the crunchy grilled cheese is off the hook.

Hope you guys give it a try one day, I think you'll like it.

• Options

dawghouse, everything but the honey seems worth trying. I do love cheddar though.

• Options
    dawghousedawghouse Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love grilled cheeses with cheddar as well @WCDawg .

Like you, neither am I a honey guy (though my wife has always used it as a healthier alternative to sugar). I knew of this recipe for at least year before I finally decided to give it a go. The key is to go super lightly with both the honey and sea salt, you should only get a hint of that combo with each bite.

I think doing it without the honey could be good too, though I don't know how much I would enjoy the added saltiness without the counterbalance of the sweetness.

• Options
    loxahatcheedawgloxahatcheedawg Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great thread. I love to try different takes on an old classic. My standard is pimento cheese with ham on a good white bread that's been buttered.

The problem here, you can't have pimento cheese without mayo. Try Dukes and don't slather it on.

• Options

Lox, I suspect most pimento is a mixture of soy and horse manure.

• Options
    loxahatcheedawgloxahatcheedawg Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Them's fighting words right there.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Public Service Announcement

• Options
    edited February 2019

Most if not all pimento is a type of red pepper - from the New World. Link explains origin of pimento cheese. Hate PC, hate Georgia. Hate PC and you hate America. Simple as that. (There is a mayonnaise tie-in, too!)

• Options