Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

National Love Your Pet Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know lots of us have pets that we adore and love like a human family member. Since it is also National Cherry Pie Day, maybe a little treat for pet? Of course, you would have to eat most of the pie to make sure the pet only had a little taste - for the pet's health, of course. Any photos of pets? Pies? Great pet stories ? Great Pie stories?

Comments

• Options

she's a beaut!!

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's one great looking dog @VALDOSTADAWG!

I've owned several dogs over the years and my favorite was a Boston Terrier named Grover. He died January 5, 2005. The fact that I remember the date tells you all you need to know.

• Options
    ftn49ftn49 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Too many stories to count from these guys...

The big two are purebred akitas and the little one is a corgi mix, shes the newest member about 6 months ago. As you can see they like to steal the couch.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

(If one has a pet one must love them, else they are not a pet.)

My mother would make cherry pies. Before store bought crust was common, she would make the crust and often would make a lattice top for the pie. Filling would usually be from a can, but there were occasions where she got some tart cherries and did the whole from scratch.

More common was her making lemon meringue pie with the meringue from egg whites and sugar (I guess this is the only way). The lemon filling was always from a can, but the crust was she-made.

• Options
    greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My only dog now is a 14 or15 year old foxhound. I don't know her exact age because I only know her history from when she was hit by a car at 2 or 3 years old. They implanted a chip, so that's where her known history starts I had a 16 year old Chow Golden Retriever in Black Mountain NC in 2006 who had taken a wandering over to the neighbors' yard. I looked out a window, saw an animal control truck next door and went over to make sure they weren't taking Bett ( my dog). Turns out it was the neighbor's dog which they'd locked in a room and allowed to get infected with fleas. It had a terrible bacterial infection, most of it's hair was gone as well. They were druggies and they were going to have her put down, she had maybe 12 hours to live if she went to animal control I pulled her off the wagon, signed a transfer of ownership form and took her straight to my vet.

• Options

ftn49,

What was that great movie about an Akita dog? It waited forever for it's master to come home?

• Options
    CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    ftn49ftn49 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hanchico or something along those lines, they have a statue erected of the dog at the train station that the dog waited for his master at for like 10 years I believe. I never actually watched the movie but I know Richard Gere starred in it. I've read the story a couple different times.

I wasn't really a dog person at all until I was introduced to the Akita and got the son of that dog. Unfortunately he passed away of cancer at 5 about 5 years ago... Still think about him all the time, in my very biased opinion best dog ever. I love the two I have now but the town I live in has very restrictive large breed laws so they will probably be the last ones I own.

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

Good story WC. I've got two Golden Chows that we pulled out of a wood pile some 12 years ago. Wild as the woods at the time but now just big ol lazy, spoiled rotten, couch taters. For yard dogs they've done pretty well. Besides living in Brookhaven, they've traveled to and from Montecito and Carmel California, Livingston Mt and now Gulf coast of Fl.

Might add Black Mt is one of my favorite Western NC towns. Spent a lot of time there in the late 80s and early 90s.

• Options
    CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Both cats are rescues, dog is semi rescue. Had an Aussie that we got from friends who bred and worked them. My bride drew a beautiful picture of one of their champions. Bubba died of cancer about 9 months ago and is missed.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,041 mod

Lost 1 dog and 3 cats within 5 years. The dog and 1 cat was mine, 2 cats were the wife's. (blended family.) All were over 15 years of age. Always hard to lose them. My wife rescued a cat 2 months after her last one departed. No dogs at this time as of yet.....

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

Grew up with black labs and one chocolate lab that was nuts. However, the best dog I remember was a rescue mix of America bulldog and lab mix. Such a great dog. His name was Chance because he looked like the white dog from homeward bound movie with the brown spot on his eye. Someone killed him because he was poisoned and the vet thought it could have been antifreeze

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can't imagine life without a dog. My dogs have all been rescues... when I got them, I thought I was doing the rescuing. I'm not so sure about that now.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate