Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Amatuerism

corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've been hearing more and more talking heads say that Trevor Lawrence should sit out and wait until he is eligible for the NFL draft. Joey Bosa essentially did that last year. People are now saying that Zion Williamson for Duke Basketball should shut it down and focus on the NBA. What is the right age to let an athlete turn pro? Should they be required to wait a specified amount of time? I will say I see no reason to stop a kid from declaring for any league draft they want to at 18 if they are given pre draft grade that says they will be drafted.

Comments

• Bulldawgfan0389Bulldawgfan0389 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2019

There isnt really a right age to go pro. Its based on years in college sanctioned by NCAA. For football, They can not declare for draft until their Junior or RS Sophomore year. Basketball is i believe Sophomore year, so you cant really expect to have a favorite in that sport IMO because most of the time cause they are gone so quickly.

• corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know those are the current rules, but why? Why can't a kid go straight from HS to the pros? Shouldn't they be able to capitalize on their skills as soon as possible?

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

NCAA doesnt decide either. It's a pro level decision. I agree that the rules are archaic and idiotic. NFL they claim body Preparation (although it wears your body) and NBA (they did it because it was a lot of bust but its still bust from college lol). I think MLB does it best. You can go out of HS and if you dont sign/arent drafted you go to college for 3 years. I think NFL and NBA should offer straight out of HS and a 2 year signing if you dont. Yeah yeah I know a lot of guys wouldn't sign NFL but Im sure AP, Lawrence, heck Fields (would've gotten looks in a draft that had the Wyoming guy drafted top 15). But it makes the NCAA tons of money and also gives the pros scouting time.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It really doesn't make sense for anyone who is of legal age not to have the right to earn a living in a field they are qualified for. The main argument against, at least to me, is that determining that qualification is difficult as many are not. Without a full minor league system like baseball, basketball and football are left with some arcane rules. Of course those rules are what gives us our beloved college football and March Madness.

• RobbieRob14RobbieRob14 Posts: 217 ✭✭✭ Junior

I believe that the NBA should go back to taking HS players. The one-and-done era has ruined college basketball IMO. I don't think NFL teams would be willing to draft players out of HS very often, but if a team is willing to take TLaw right now, he should be able to go. I think RB is the only position you would see coming out after 1 or 2 years if that was the case.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hard to tell someone when they are eligible to go to work, but the NFL should have that right given the way the players are now suing the league for injuries during their career.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • ftn49ftn49 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't believe it is the league office that dictates it, it is a collectively bargained arrangement... If my memory is correct.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow, I'm glad I read the responses. I thought maybe op was talking about the disease that took out 12ed!

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

If I was TLaw I'd have my parents talk to the AAF or XFL right now.

Zion Williamson should've gone to Europe. I think he will recover, but why not go ahead and withdraw from school and get ready for the draft? It's not like he's gonna finish this semester at school anyway.

My two cents

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I thought I read the AAF was working with the NFL and the NCAA, in that they would not take a player that is not 3 years out of high school? Their goal, as I understand it, is not to take players the NFL wants. They even have a clause in every contract that if they get offered an NFL contract they can leave. The goal of the AAF is to provide football in the NFL offseason with guys that are not in the NFL or college

I could be wrong

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Tlaw would be hurt playing in the NFL now.3yrs is good and the fact the NFL is a private bussiness they can make the rules the way they want.the NBA should do it too.3yrs is good for the kids to mature

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How rare is it that someone is talented enough to enter the nfl draft at the end of their freshman year?

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m with you. Honestly, I think there were some back in the day, but in my opinion the game has changed so much and players development has increased to another level that I can’t see a hs football player skipping college.

Basketball is another subject

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

You may be right. But he should definitely explore his options considering he would be number one overall in this draft if he were eligible

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is no way you can compare the three major sports.

Baseball has a farm system. I cant think of any player that went straight from high school to the pros.

Basketball has had numerous successful stories of high school to the pros and probably twice as many unsuccessful stories. Every year there are maybe 1 or 2 kids talented enough to make the jump. The physical toll over a season is very demanding. Since rosters are so small I doubt many teams will be willing to take a chance on an unproven talent.

Football is a TOTALLY different story. If anyone has ever been to an NFL game or been within 30ft of pro football player you know that there's NO WAY a high school kid is ready for the pro. Let me repeat that, NO WAY. You have freshmen talking about how fast the game is coming from HS to college, imagine going from HS to the pros.

They are call pros for a reason.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

More common than uncommon.

The league would adjust its ways and pick younger cheaper guys over high paid vets.

2018 - Fields, Lawrence, the Texas safeties, Waddle, etc...

There's risk but teams will take it if given the option

• LORLOR Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looking just at our players, I’d bet Wilson would be an early pick after his RS freshman year and Thomas could’ve been a first rounder based just on his displays and potential. As a sophomore, if Swift was eligible he’d be a high round pick as well. Not everyone could make that leap early but there are outliers that could.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Joe Nuxhall pitched in the majors at 16.