Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Amatuerism

2»

Comments

• Options
    andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

If kids can give their lives in military service at 18 they can certainly play pro sports and should not be restricted by the money machine. My hope is they get a college degree and thrive in the experience but the powers that be should not make that decision for them.

• Options
    UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 273 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think the current rules work

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

as you just said, the league would adjust to pick younger and "cheaper players" this would mean that these college athletes would have to be willing to leave early to go to the NFL draft in most cases for much less money. We see many juniors stay for their senior year to improve their draft stock. The same application would occur in my opinion that majority would not run and jump ship to the league if they were going to be an extremely late pick.

I should rephrase my question into asking how many player at the end of their freshman year are good enough to get drafted in the first round? the 1st or 2nd round? the top 4 rounds?

• Options
    deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

How about we change the rule and let the kids who went early but didn't get drafted the chance to come back and finish their college career.

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

*Just realized how long this post is. I apologize @pharmadawg

No I think the wage scale would stay the same but owners would love the chance to let a guy like Antonio Brown walk and draft a young guy who has a good chance of replacing him.

Well lets just look at the 2018 NFL draft and compare some guys at all the positions.

QB - Im pretty confident Tua would've had a chance in the 1st two rounds. Fromm probably would've heard from some agents (especially considering Allen nor Lamar are better passers).

RB - There had been 7 RBs taken in the first round. Penny, Guice (self sabotaged), Jones II, Kerryon all would be looked over if you let Akers, AJ Dillion, and Taylor (broke all freshman RB records) become eligible. I honestly even think Swift would have gotten interest considering he was third string with 800ish yards along with JK Dobbins.

WR - This is a tougher sell. Yeah Ridley and Moore had probably been the top guys and everyone else was based on projection so I fold here. CeeDee Lamb the best option.

TE - Pretty sure there are better options than the players taken but not from the freshman rank, plenty of sophomores thiugh. (If HS is allowed maybe Ford us a option).

OL - Being 100% honest. UGA wouldve lost Thomas, Tenn would lose Trey Smith, and Louisville their tackle. Was a weak class and none performed this season.

OC/OG - Freshman probably on par with what went to the league. Mays and the Clemson guy probably from HS would get looks.

DL - No big names (Bosa, Oliver, Jones, Clemson all had underclassmen that would be taken). Besides that the kid from Iowa was a beast.

LB - The Arizona kid had a lot of stats and reminds me of the LB Martinez with the GB Packers.

CB - Safety Delpit from LSU, Greedy as well, Henderson at UF, theres a kid at OSU as well.

HS guys that wouldve gotten taken first two rounds (or been very close to it) - Fields, Lawrence, Xavier Thinas, Mays, Sterns, Surtian, and maybe St. Brown.

Thing is the old argument was players arent physically developed enough. Im starting to see that is now false (these kids are yoked). These HS players may need some conditioning but once drafted they get even more training and conditioning and guidance than at the college level where it is available but limited. NFL uses college as a mini farm system. I will be honest if kids do go to the league it doesnt water down the college game. Heck the first Hiesman freshman was less than 10 years and the first Championship lead by a freshman was recent as well. There's gonna be guys who make a bad choice, there will be guys who start in school the go pro, and there will be guys who get a education. I think at the end of the day its up to them.

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And that kid was coming off of a serious arm injury. He went from PeeWee to the Pros. Impressive.

• Options
    MountainDawgMountainDawg Posts: 20 ✭✭ Sophomore

This could totally not work, but what if an amateur football league was open to kids out of HS and they could declare for the draft at anytime. (Offcourse playing amateur football would also bring them some financial compensation) college football was left alone and the athletes that choose college cannot declare to the draft until they have obtained their degree. I know the level of athleticism would go down but I believe the passion would be even stronger from those on the field.

• Options
    TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tennis players and golfers have been turning pro as teenagers for decades. Has there been any outcry? But then again these are individual sports where they aren’t drafted.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not the same thing. Tennis players and golfers do not travel with the "team". Ample ability to have a chaperone or family member accompany them.

• Options
    3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

super rare talents like zion could get good rep...he could get a monster shoe deal...be in commercials....some play on his shoe blowing up would b a great add....play euro or wherever for a yr. zion is not the norm....even for the kids that can make the jump.....but more kids in that situation are starting to explore options