Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

You do realize that over half of the kids who have declared early for the draft

ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Won't be drafted or make a practice squad. Unless you are elite you should stay and get your degree. Besides if you are in the 2% that gets drafted, your life span in the Not For Long league is 3-5 years.

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

My guess is most early entry players will be drafted somewhere over 7 rounds. It's a case by case thing. over 3 years on an active roster a kid would make a minimum total of around 1.7 million and 3.1 million if they last 5 years. That is a life time of earnings for many people. Also most contracts would be reworked if a player is good enough to make it 5 years. David Andrews went undrafted and signed with NE as a FA, he signed a fat contract extension last summer.

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To me that's alot of money. I feel like I'd be grinning ear to ear, riding the pine while making only half that much.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

Bulldog, that is a lot of money for the average college grad with 10 years in his or her field. It's life changing for a 21 year old coming from a middle to lower class economic background.

Ultimately it's about how they handle the windfall, indulgence/ bling vs wise investments.

• Options
    LORLOR Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My friend’s brother played for Green Bay and he said it wasn’t the contract dollars that lasted forever, but the longer you play the more vested you are in the NFL pension. You make a pretty good bit of coin after your playing days.

• Options
    PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Assuming you stay long enough to get a pension.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ugaforever The numbers are 35% for the 2018 draft (for 2017 players). That's 37/106 that declared early that went undrafted plus 17 Jrs that completed their degree requirements early.

Not more than 50%, but I agree with you. It's still a big risk.

Many of the Juniors, it's a no-brainer. Roquan Smith and Saquon Barkley for example. And had PFF grades at around 90. You also had true Juniors that had PFF grades under 80, many of which went undrafted. Trenton Thompson and Teuhema, OG with SE Louisiana were prime examples of this outcome.

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ill take a couple 100k a year honestly for 3 years and if I dont make it past that it sets me up to go back to school finish and move on with my life starting a job while having a couple hundred thousand.

• Options
    corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

May be ignorance but what is an agents usual cut off of a players contract?

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019
  • Options
    law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    ftn49ftn49 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't believe there is any degree that you have to have, though many are lawyers I believe. You do have to be certified by the NFLPA I believe.

• Options
    Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most agents are mini-celebs themselves.

Much like a powerful law firm it’s built on years of luck and results with The Who’s-who types.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Read a book on Hollywood agencies. One or more branched off to cover sports. Don't know if the agencies are still predominant, but would seem that a tie-in into entertainment would be the way to ensure that one has access to commercials, etc. So, if you want to be an agent with clients, either get hired by an agency, or be pals with one or more sports stars and force an agency to make you an offer (to have access to the real, after playing time goodies). Chicken - egg.