Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

2020 draft- Running backs

Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

On the Walter Football 2020 mock draft, they have Swift as the #6 running back going in the 2-3 round. In front of him..

1. JK Dobbins- OSU
  2. Johnathan Taylor- Wisc
  3. Travis Etienne- Clem
  4. Najee Harris- Bama
  5. Cam Akers- FSU
  6. D'Andre Swift- UGA

I almost couldn't believe it at first sight. I don't think there are 5 backs better than Swift next year.. how do y'all see this list shape up after next season? Akers and Swift don't have 1st round projections. Everyone else is projected 1-3 except Dobbins who they have going 1-2.

Comments

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Swift just has to remain healthy and he will have the numbers to be a first round draft pick, especially with our O line making him look even better

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who the hell is JK dobbins?

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Over the past 5 years there's been an average of 1.6 RBs taken in the first round of the draft. So, with only 1-2 RBs taken a year in the first round on average, it's not outlandish to think Swift may be a second or third rounder. I think a team would be getting a good deal if they got him in the 2nd or 3rd.

Swift played well last year with nagging injuries, hopefully that's behind him so that NFL teams see him as a healthy option, as that will obviously increase his value.

The other players you listed are very solid, but I haven't watched all their games to fairly compare them to Swift.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The only way that Harris and Akers are ranked above Swift is previous recruiting hype. Akers could be a bit better than his numbers because of FSU's line being a disaster though. If I've taken my homer glasses off, I can see it in comparison with Etienne, Taylor, and Dobbins though.

It's not based on health that he's ranked this way IMO either given that Josh Jacobs could very well be a first round pick this year in the draft. The numbers are fine for a guy that was a 3rd back as a freshman and not healthy for part of last year given that the NFL is starting to deemphasize raw numbers.

They don't have rankings, but some other NFL evaluators are saying things like "Swift looks like one of the best returning players to the SEC" on tape.

• Options
    VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

Swift will be the first running back taken in whichever Draft class he enters.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The 2020 NFL RB draft class is silly stacked and it could push Swift out of the first round. I think all of the following players are potentially future RBs in the NFL based off what I've read on them and see in games I've watched (no particular order and I may have even missed a few):

• Jonathan Taylor
    • Travis Etienne
    • D'Andre Swift
    • J.K. Dobbins
    • Cam Akers
    • Najee Harris
    • Eno Benjamin
    • Kennedy Brooks
    • Trey Sermon
    • Kylin Hill
    • AJ Dillon
    • Larry Rountree III

You even have other guys like Ty Chandler who have simply played on bad teams and have still put up decent stats for that and Ke'Shawn Vaughn who looked absolutely amazing at times for Vanderbilt last year, plus more potentially. If you take off the homer glasses about Holyfield, you can see why he chose to leave. He's probably not better than any of the guys I named if you consider overall skills.

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Same site always has Andrew Thomas as the #2 OT in 2020. Ben Cleveland is the #3 OG and Isiah Wilson is listed as the #7 OT and #4 OG as well.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

Good post @Acrum21. I stared at that list for a long time and then it hit me. Flip it over and it makes more sense.

1. D'Andre Swift- UGA*
    2. Cam Akers- FSU
    3. Najee Harris- Bama
    4. Travis Etienne- Clem
    5.  Johnathan Taylor- Wisc** 
    6. JK Dobbins- OSU

*Pass-catching ability and minimal tread wear will benefit Swift considerably come draft day.

**Taylor is having a great college career, but from a pro perspective, Wisconsin isn't doing him any favors with a whopping 606 carries (and a mere 16 receptions) over his first two seasons.