Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Smokin' , Grillin' and Chillin' while sipping your favorite beverage,

Comments

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

yup. I never check, I don't have any devices. but they are helpful for peace of mind. let it get to temp and hold 225ish for 1/2 hour or so. long enough that you know it is stable and no longer fluctuating. add meat. temp will drop but within 30 minutes or so it should be back to 225ish. as long as wind isn't going direct into the vent it'll hold until out of charcoal

• Options

and I highly recommend the resting other folks have mentioned. I purposely FTC mine for 3-6 hours. I think it comes out better after a long rest.

• Options

also, as other have mentioned the temp is just a guide. 205-210 internal for most but you want it to probe easy, like butter, in a few different spots. that is when it is ready to come off.

it is easy, just put it on and relax. folks will love it

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2020

Ditto on all that. Once you've cooked with an egg a few dozen times you'll have it down. Had all the newest, koolest gadgets for temp control gifted to me and while very grateful, I later re gifted them. It's just cookin folks, not rocket physic's.

On a side note, if anyone ever has an issue with their Egg or Kamado just shoot me a PM. I've rebuilt and repaired just about everything on them especially breaks and cracks in the shell. Got an aerospace sealant I can recommend that bonds up to 2300 degrees f.

• Options
    mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2020

I’m personally fond of the smoker & meat dual thermostats. Doesn’t have to be some fancy device with alarms and iphone apps, just a simple dual read thermometer.

I’m (relatively) new to the smoking game, so I find that by keeping my smoker temp and internal temp as consistent as possible, it allows me to play around more with brines, injections, rubs, and mops. I know the difference in outcome can be attributed to my tinkering rather than variations in the cook.

Here’s what I use. Cost $42 at the time. “Maverick Ready-chek”

• Options
    dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey DawgNation,

With Saturday rapidly approaching and the dawgs squaring off against the HOGS I figured this would be the perfect game to make a pork butt.

Does anybody on here have any tips for cooking a pork butt/shoulder on a Traeger specifically? I just got a Traeger as a gift and I am trying to figure out the best temp to cook it at and how long it usually takes!

I wanna put it on at midnight or 1:00 a.m. so that I can pull it off in the morning and wrap it and then finish it around 1-2.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don’t know anything about a traeger but keep her around 225 and you’re good. Let it get to room temp before throwing her on. Spray her every hr with a cut of 1 part apple juice and 1 part apple cider. Make sure to trim her up a little before rubbing her. Mustard helps hold the rub on.... you won’t taste it. Use a a good temp my bro and test it in some boiling water if it’s the first use. 

let the ol girl rest in a cooler for a while wrapped in tinfoil and a towel when finished.

Forks up my bro and good luck! You’ll be fine and it’s hard to mess up a butt

• Options

Those work really well and simple to use. Just purchased a thermopro a month ago. Liking it so far

• Options
    mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For anyone smoking today, don’t forget to take a pic or two and let us know how they turn out!!!

• Options

Agreed. Tickled the idea of doing something for opening day, but the schedule didn’t allow it. I will crank up the smoker for Auburn for sure

• Options
    roydawgroydawg Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This thread was way way down from the front page. With The Bama game being tomorrow, that’s unacceptable. I’m gonna smoke 3 racks of ribs (1 baby back, 2 spare ribs). I know I’m not the only one firing up the smoker tomorrow, right?

• Options

I bought a huge prime brisket from costco but I think I am going to wait. my wife is due the 20th and I don't want to have the smoker going for something like that and have to leave in the middle lol. so we will grill but something simple like wings or burgers.

• Options
    roydawgroydawg Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2020

Grilled cheese sandwich hot tip: slice the cheese thick enough to throw directly on the skillet first, then put it on the bread after it softens up.

Game changer. This is how they make it in Turkey where I’ve been living for awhile. Turkish food is probably my favorite in the world after Thai and BBQ.

There’s a bakery near us that makes this incredible sourdough bread with vegetables in it (dried tomatoes, olives etc) which makes for an incredible grilled cheese sandwich.

• Options
    LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OK, advice time. Our new home has a hookup for a natural gas grill. So, looking for recommendations from y’all. Does anyone have a grill they really love? What do you like about it? Anything (or brand) I should avoid?

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

So do you want only gas or do a combo? In other words, do you have a separate smoker or charcoal?

• Options
    LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2020

If you're on or near the Coast, as I'm guessing you may be (Lowcountry), and you are looking at gas grills, I'd recommend DCS. I'm right on the Apalachicola Bay and been using a DCS for 10 years. Other than replacing the igniter its had no problems at all. The model I have is made with marine grade stainless and even with the salt air there's no rust. I do keep it covered when not in use but other than cleaning every now and then, that's about it. Hate to admit it but as much as I love my Green Egg's, the DCS gets the majority of the work load.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

One thing I've always done with my gas grills, If they don't have a bottom grate over the burners, I shop for one that will fit about 2 inches over the burners. I then put a single layer of lava rocks on that grate as long as it doesn't interfere with the cooking grate. Heats the rocks and you get a slower and more even cooking.