Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Opening Day

2»

Comments

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

That rings a bell. Something to do with taxes maybe? But I bet they could sell a small minority interest to an individual owner with local ties (business owner, athlete, or entertainer), and let him become the face of ownership in Atlanta, as the first step in a long term plan to eventually sell off their entire interest.

The problem is, the Braves are a profitable business for Liberty, so they don't have incentive to sell. The only way I know to incentivize them to sell is for the fan base to grow frustrated enough that it starts to generate substantial bad will towards Liberty. I think Tom Glavine's recent statements are a big step in that direction. I hope it builds. Atlanta fans deserve better.

• Options
    edited March 2019
  • Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bank. Everybody loves rich thieves, it's the poor ones that we hate.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Office buildings and apartments. That’s what would have become of the property. Instead, the property will likely be one of the most visited tourist attractions in the Southeast.

For comparison, let’s discuss The Gulch and Atlanta City Government. Makes the Suntrust Park deal look like a million carat diamond.

• Options

Bank, it's a great deal for Liberty for sure.

Also something Liberty keeps hidden from sight. They split off much of the real estate development into a separate company about the time it started accruing income. If and when Liberty sells The Braves not only will they likely retain ownership of much of the surrounding development, they'll have the next owners by the short hairs.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm good with that number, I just set it lower because Freddie doesn't seem to hit a ton of homers every year. He just bats .325 and rakes inside the park.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Braves can spend like the big market teams, as Ted Turner proved throughout the 90s and early 2000s. Braves were always a top 5 payroll, usually top 3. Heck, the Braves are only spending $14 million more this season than they did in 2003! That's awful considering the huge baseball contracts these days. It's just not in the interest of Liberty, as they are all about profit (as most baseball owners are) .

• Options

My opinion is that Liberty tried to play cheapskate, then realized they had infuriated the fan base and media. So they publicly declare that Anthopolous has full discretion to sign anybody he wants. By the time that happened, all the difference-makers were off the market.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Our lead off hitter strikes out looking, theirs hits a homer.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

fortunately, the game lasts a bit longer.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

My Mets are on pace for 162-0!

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

BP struggles again. Have to get that bunch on track somehow.

• Options
    edited March 2019

I am the world's biggest Braves fan, and I also tend to be very optimistic, but there is no objective reason to think the pen will get better unless changes are made. It was our weak spot last season, and Liberty didn't do much to help the club in the offseason. Parsons and Tomlin don't belong on a major league roster. Carle and Jackson should be the last two off the bench. Instead, three of those guys made appearances today.

The only good that comes from today's game is that it increases pressure on Liberty to sign Kimbrel. If we're serious about competing to win the division it is a MUST. Once that move is made we should also call up whichever arm Snit wants from the farm.

EDIT: Those two moves, only one of which costs money, would transform the team.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Touki might be an excellent long-term solution in the pen. Electric stuff, hard thrower. I get wanting him to be a starter, but his kind of stuff translates very well to high leverage situations.

• Options
    RabidawgRabidawg Posts: 64 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Teddy. The difference in Liberty and individual ownership, particularly local individuals is while Liberty is just a business, Blank, Turner and their ilk desperately want to win.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Wrigley family is an exception. They were clearly more interested in selling gum than winning Championships, and the Tribune Co was about like Liberty Media. In fact, I worry that Liberty will run the Braves like the Tribune ran the Cubs. Then Ricketts boufht the Cubs and the World Series drought was ended.

• Options

Maybe the home Opening Day will go a bit better? Maybe??? 😒

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Doubtful. Braves will be fighting the Nats for third in the east this year.