Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

National Tater Day

2»

Comments

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Awesome guys. My wife could fit right into these cooking discussions. She doesnt mess around either. Fortunately I get to eat some really good southern cooking

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Speaking of crisco, butter, margarine, etc. The old school approach is always to collect your bacon grease. Save it in a can or jar. Use it like crisco. THIS is the key to good cornbread (and come Thanksgiving, cornbread dressing.)

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dawg you make this forum stuff way easier. I was going to post earlier that my wife saves bacon grease in the fridge. Uses it to season veggies during the week when she has less time to prepare meals. Just thought nah. Happy to say our cholesterol is ok also

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When I was learning how to make biscuits I used lard because it was cheap so I didn't feel so bad when I messed up. After I got better making them I switched to Crisco.

I'm currently using my husband's grandmother's iron skillet. I don't think it's ever been washed. Also a little trick I learned making cornbread, if you don't have buttermilk use 2 heaping tablespoons of sour cream and whole milk. Works like a charm.