Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

National Tater Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Out of all the possibilities, I chose this one because. well, I love potatoes in just about any form, especially home fries. Also, it's baseball season and Dansby hit a tater yesterday, continuing his good start to the season. What's your favorite way to enjoy potatoes.

I also have to mention National Bunsen Burner Day. As a college freshman chem major, I pushed my Bunsen Burner away from me, coiling the rubber hose which caught on fire. It happened in two consecutive labs, leading the chairman of the chem dept. to suggest I might look at other majors. Went into psychology and the rest is history.

Comments

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm what do you consider home fries? We were discussing this the other day in our restaurant. Is it just potatoes cut any way and fried or are they cut a certain way . Somebody even brought up battered or not.

Also please dont analyze any of my post, or if you do keep it under wraps. Thanks

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I make my home fries with chopped up (minced?) taters. I've seen and eaten them chopped other ways too. I do the minced kind so I can make them part of an omelet or a frittata. Your secret is safe with me.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

About to put some New Taters in my crockpot with some green beans and a large split turkey breast. Slow cook all afternoon....

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RPMdawg, the home fries I grew up eating at the local breakfast cafe were sliced potatoes, fried without batter.

• Options
    CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ghost, I do love some new taters and snaps! We do a big pot with ham hocks, eat them for a week! RPM, watch out, don will hypnotize you and have you making him frittatas and running X country.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love taters in a bunch of ways. I guess my favorite is just a good ole baked potato with a steak. Cover the outside with olive oil and then put salt on it. Cheese, bacon, butter, salt and pepper... doesn’t get any better.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Remember folks, taters need love EVERY DAY, not just once a year.

• Options

Really like new potatoes in green beans. Sometimes pick them out at a buffet and leave the beans

• Options
    edited March 2019

@coastaldawg wouldn't let me quote you. That's exactly I first ate them. Our restaurant cuts them like fries and batters them. I think maybe it you cut your own potatoes in someway and fry them. that's all that matters I guess

• Options

Something wrong with this thread, quoting is wacky. @Catfish it would take hypnosis for me to pull those off! I got the ham hocks, beans, taters down. What the heck is a frittata

• Options
    edited March 2019

@RPMdawg, think unfolded omelette or crustless quiche. There was an insurance commercial that had a guy hypnotizing his neighbors and one thing he had them do was make him a frittata.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Frittatas were invented for kitchen challenged guys like me who can't figure out how to fold the eggs into an omelette without making a fine mess of things.

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Buy Ore Ida cubed potatoes with onions and peppers. Roll them in flour and fry them in a little oil until they are brown. Slice a Echrich smoked sausage and cook it in a little butter. when the sausage is done mix it in the potatoes. It"s a quick, easy, and inexpensive meal.

• Options

It is good. I used to make that for my kids when they were teenagers. Used two bags of hashbrowns though along with two smoked sausages. Make a slab of real scratch corn bread (NO sugar). They would clean it all up.

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Putting sugar in cornbread is just wrong. Also using margarine instead of real butter should never happen.

• Options
  • Options

My bride doesn't even allow mmmargarine in the house. I use Crisco to make cornbread, fry chicken, etc.

• Options

@Catfish it makes me think of how times have change. I grew up with Crisco as a staple in almost all facets of cooking. Frying, cornbread, my Mom's Cat Head biscuits, even used it to season our Iron skillets (which I still highly recommend for any new Iron skillet or griddle.) When all the health fanatics started saying all this was a ticket to a heart attack, all the 'alternatives" started being used. Unfortunately, I fell into that category and put Crisco aside. Thinking now I might have to start using it again to remember the taste of GOOD cooking as I did growing up. Not that it's bad now, but sometimes, a dose of nostalgia is a great thing..

• Options

I still use iron for all cooking when possible. I have one skillet that is for cornbread only. As soon as I dump the bread I wipe about a tbsp of Crisco in it and put it back in the warm oven. I never have a problem with it sticking.

• Options

Same here. I have 3 to cook with and use them in almost every indoor cooking meal. Never wash them with soap, just a long stove top soak with water, then turn the burner on until the water boils. Use a wooden spatula to scrape residue and rinse with hot water. Wipe dry and season again for next use. Love them!